The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Legal Perils for the Digitally Illiterate on Social Media

Wetcoaster

Posting pictures online should not be considered "publishing" unless you are say, a media organization or accredited individual. Whoever's responsible for the law developing to that point screwed up bad, if you ask me. If you put up a photo on your fridge and someone saw it, could you be hit with a lawsuit if someone didn't like it? (On second thought, don't answer that). There's too much liability going around these days.

Posting pictures online should not be considered "publishing" unless you are say, a media organization or accredited individual. Whoever's responsible for the law developing to that point screwed up bad, if you ask me. If you put up a photo on your fridge and someone saw it, could you be hit with a lawsuit if someone didn't like it? (On second thought, don't answer that). There's too much liability going around these days.

Not always (that is what "pro bono" means) and there is also legal aid.

Some lawyers are employed by public interest advocacy groups such as the Pivot Legal Society, Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund etc and the various federal and provincial civil liberty associations.

Yes I know, I am saying that the legal definition of publishing is overbroad, as are many other avenues of liability, for instance if you raise your voice to someone or shake your fist you are liable for assault. Given how expensive and complicated the legal system is and the way every single aspect of our lives is covered by reams of statute, regulation and case law, this stuff needs to be scaled back, it is out of control.

Archived