elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

POPULAR

Summary:
  • Laganiere: guesses they were close, but close only counts in hand grenades. Down to the wire when he got the call, fair amount of emotion, big decision for a young guy when both sides liked each other, was told a difficult decision but one of the last calls to teams that weren't chosen.
  • Is it harder to land UFAs due to set roster? Perhaps, but was on other side in Phoenix where pitch was come play with us as one of the worst teams but with lots of opportunity. Sometimes got guys because of that. Canucks pitch is come play with us and we'll surround you with better players but still give opportunity. Noted Raymond and Hansen stayed over players like Cowan and Pettinger, Tanev played in the SCF as a rookie signed as a College UFA.
  • Injuries: A bit under seige, missing Higgins, Bieksa, Tanev, all important pieces. Last night was 3rd game in 4 nights, on the road, had to gut it out, got 3 of 4 points in the back to backs, Edler had probably his best game of the season last night and not Barker's fault on goal. All that against a team fighting for a playoff spot who had just lost 2 in a row. Every game is important in the race to win the division/get a playoff spot/fine tune for the playoffs, so not a tonne of room for experimentation with younger players. Doesn't see a problem with our resiliency down the stretch though.
  • Corrado: If Tanev could play in SC run, doesn't see why Corrado couldn't. Tempered that with the fact he's only played one AHL game so far, but no reason he couldn't get brought up if he acquits himself well.
  • Joslin: Sees him as important depth, looked for 9/10/11 spot guys who can fill in in the NHL. Effective, safe bet to come up and pitch in if needed as a serviceable, credible depth NHL player. Can't expect him to play 20 minutes, but should be ok.
  • Brought up as Bieksa's day to day, and if someone else gets hurt they might find themselves short on D. No cap space worries or roster limitations for the move, so they felt why not bring him up. Worcester is out of the playoffs so they knew it wouldn't hurt their roster by bringing him up and they were going to bring him up once the AHL season ended anyway.
  • Injuries again: Does feel injured players could be healthy for first game of playoffs if no further injuries (Booth not mentioned, but obviously the only exception).
  • AHL team: Flames still have affiliate agreement with Abby for 6 years as far as he knows, as he's on the call he's in New York overlooking Central Park as he's looking at potential locations for the Rivermen once the ownership deal is finalized.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#3 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the summary Elvis!!
Posted Image

#4 Canucks17_33_22

Canucks17_33_22

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Gilman: "I'm confident that everyone will be healthy by game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

#5 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Injuries are pretty much the only concern now...

And Corrado just can't seem to stop improving! Can't wait to see him in a full AHL season

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

POPULAR

Thanks for the summary Elvis!!

Anything's better than doing actual work. Why do you think I'm on here so often? ::D

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Injuries are pretty much the only concern now...

And Corrado just can't seem to stop improving! Can't wait to see him in a full AHL season

He had an assist last night in the loss (he was paired with Sauve). They're almost out of the playoff race with that loss, and I think another loss seals the deal, so we might see him after that since the Wolves haven't been playing a lot of our prospects.

#8 PlayoffHockey

PlayoffHockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

good to see Gilman isnt blaming Barker for Backes pick play and the bad bounce.

i wish Vandermeer was the one coming up, is he not playing well ?
Posted ImagePosted Image

"I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I knew nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers."
~ Bodee

http://forum.canucks...me/page__st__30

#9 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

good to see Gilman isnt blaming Barker for Backes pick play and the bad bounce.

i wish Vandermeer was the one coming up, is he not playing well ?

Joslin had been loaned to Worcester from Chicago, and since Worcester is out of the playoff hunt they decided to call up Joslin, rather than interfere with Chicago's lineup (as they are still currently trying to make the playoffs). This doesn't necessarily mean Joslin will play... it just means he's the first of that auxiliary squad to join the Canucks, traveling with the team and practicing in case they need to step in during the playoff run. If Chicago is eliminated, you can bet that Vandermeer will be among the big group getting recalled from Chicago.

abl8vt.jpg

#10 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

"Phoenix where pitch was come play with us as one of the worst teams but with lots of opportunity."

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#11 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

"Phoenix where pitch was come play with us as one of the worst teams but with lots of opportunity."

Come to Phoenix, you can be the star player, the zamboni driver, and even become the owner if you have a bit of cash on you.
Posted Image

#12 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,337 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Anything's better than doing actual work. Why do you think I'm on here so often? ::D

Believe that!
Posted Image

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Why not just keep the Rivermen in Peoria if they aren't being moved to Abby?
Posted Image

#14 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,047 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Why not just keep the Rivermen in Peoria if they aren't being moved to Abby?

They're not making money there. That's why the Blues wanted to dump them.

Look for the Rivermen to go to Utica for the time being. And hopefully eventually to Abby.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Believe that!

See, Squeak knows what I'm talking about!

#16 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

I think an AHL team in Sask. could do very well.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#17 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

He had an assist last night in the loss (he was paired with Sauve). They're almost out of the playoff race with that loss, and I think another loss seals the deal, so we might see him after that since the Wolves haven't been playing a lot of our prospects.

he was arguably the best player on the ice for kitchener too, when they played london. kept them in it.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#18 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Given that Higgins, Tanev, and Bieksa all played through whatever injuries they have now for at least a while before being sat down, I'm thinking it's more that they're being rested down the stretch than that it's anything real serious that would cause them to miss the playoffs. Bieksa is our most important defenseman and he's been battling injuries all season, sitting him down a few games is a good idea especially with games against potential opponents coming up.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#19 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

I saw Tanev downtown today. He looked fine to me, don't know what his injury is exactly but he wasn't limping or anything so he should be close.

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#20 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Corrado has turned into a mini Tanev, calm and collective when playing, could become a calming presence for a more consistent edler Down the road.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#21 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Stoon has a great rink but I wonder if a move like that would work with a city that has a good junior team in the Blades. Most of the larger areas have junior teams, Regina- Moose Jaw - Swift Current. Would be nice tho as they are great hockey fans in Sask.

#22 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

I saw Tanev downtown today. He looked fine to me, don't know what his injury is exactly but he wasn't limping or anything so he should be close.

Good to hear!

#23 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

It's hard because any city that is large enough for a AHL team is also big enough for A WHL team and already have one.

There are a few growing city's that will be boarder line in 5-10 years Yorkton and Estevan, Yorkton has a good facility for the SJHL Terriers, Estevan is rich with Bakken Oil.

Why not put them in Seattle Until they get an NHL team? Maybe the timing will be perfect for abbotsfords contract.

Why not have them play in Vancouver?

I work close to Utica NY and Fly out of there from time to time, it's nothing special, I'm actually shocked they are getting a team to be honest.

Move them west Gillis
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

For the AHL team, I'd assume they'd look to have something a little closer than the opposite side of the country, to be honest. Perhaps it was a bit of a red herring and they're out there just doing due diligence.

Heard this morning Minnesota wants to move the Aeros from Houston to Iowa*, so perhaps either keeping them in Illinois or trying to get a move to that area (in the East but more Westerly than other teams) could be in the cards for the Rivermen. I'd think we'd want to rebrand next season, so keeping them in Peoria would be tougher to do that. Perhaps a small move to Kansas City or Indianapolis, or a larger one to Las Vegas or something similar would work and still not mess with the divisions.

A move to somewhere like Hamilton or Quebec City might not be out of the question as well, but it would mean realigning the divisions a little. A move to Utica or somewhere similar would also mean that however, so who knows what leeway they have in that regard.

* The article notes there's an AHL Board of Governors conference call today where the Wild are asking for their approval, so perhaps Gilman or someone from the Canucks will be attending as well and there may be more news as a result in the coming days.

Edited by elvis15, 18 April 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#25 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Would be thrilled to see Corrado up here
Posted Image

#26 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm optimistic Tanev, Bieksa and Higgins will get back in the playoffs. Booth will probably be out for the 1st round

Edited by Apples, 18 April 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Would be thrilled to see Corrado up here

I'd like to see him have a strong performance their next game but perhaps still lose so they'd be all but eliminated from the playoffs (they would be if they lose and Milwaukee wins their next game, both on Friday). Once their out, we can bring up whoever we want and not impact their playoff hopes, but he'll only get a chance if he can play well enough to earn it.

One other thing to consider, he's already played a lot of hockey this year, starting with that world club championship in Russia he went to with Sudbury, then the Subway Series game and Team Canada tryouts, then his regular season with Sudbury and Kitchener, plus playoffs. They may want to just have him up training rather than rush him in as well.

#28 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

LOL; u try signing guys to two way contracts... :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.