The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. Gun Control Bill on Background Checks Defeated in the Senate

Wetcoaster

I guess I'm not meant to understand...the pro gun folks trumpet all the time...it isn't the gun that kills people...it's an inanimate object, it doesn't go off by itself...all that...they say it's the person holding the gun that decides to pull the trigger thus it's the gun holder who is at fault and not the weapon itself...yet a bill in favor of background checks...that would undoubtedly cut down on the number of crazy assholes getting hold of the guns in the first place and carrying out shootings like Newtown and the Aurora theater massacre..is defeated....wait what? And how are these Senators doing their jobs when an overwhelming majority of voters was in favor of this measure?

its funny how health related deaths caused by diet (alcohal and tobacco and drugs included) and death caused by guns and auto accidents far out weight deaths by terrorist attacts on US soil ... but the focus is always on the terrorists ... i guess the yanks love the freedom of choice to eat garbage and destroy their bodies clogging up the heath care system and die and early death.. that was their choice , thats freedom, thats america.... they love the choice to go get drunk and wrap their car around a poll .. thats their choice ..thats america.... .. you take away their choice to buy a gun and leave it lying around for their kid to pick up and shoot their friend.. well thats communism and freedom doesnt care much for that.....

shootings will still happen, how about we get the media to stop glorifying the shooters and the government to put money into mental health? and it sounds bad but a background check wouldn't have prevented sandy hook. kid got the gun from his moms house.

its funny how health related deaths caused by diet (alcohal and tobacco and drugs included) and death caused by guns and auto accidents far out weight deaths by terrorist attacts on US soil ... but the focus is always on the terrorists ... i guess the yanks love the freedom of choice to eat garbage and destroy their bodies clogging up the heath care system and die and early death.. that was their choice , thats freedom, thats america.... they love the choice to go get drunk and wrap their car around a poll .. thats their choice ..thats america.... .. you take away their choice to buy a gun and leave it lying around for their kid to pick up and shoot their friend.. well thats communism and freedom doesnt care much for that.....

The sad thing is that a majority of NRA MEMBERS support background checks. As already stated, an OVERWEMING majority of AMERICAN's support it. Here's how this gets done. The morons that voted against it, kick their asses out. My guess is the people who voted against it are in hardcore red states, or are up for re-election in swing states.

The sad thing is that a majority of NRA MEMBERS support background checks. As already stated, an OVERWEMING majority of AMERICAN's support it. Here's how this gets done. The morons that voted against it, kick their asses out. My guess is the people who voted against it are in hardcore red states, or are up for re-election in swing states.

But it WOULD have prevented Aurora. Whatever the hell his name was was a freaking looney tune and if this bill passed the loonies would have a harder time getting the guns. As far as mental health...I agree...why don't we start by arresting these idiot psychotherapists who are prescribing dangerous pharmaceutical drugs like Ritalin and Adderall to children under the age of 12. That'd be a very nice start...or maybe to fix the mental health system they could stop charging people an arm and a leg for the medicines that keep them sane or in some cases keeps them alive.

Some seem happy with the vote:

WASHINGTON—Following the Senate’s rejection of a bipartisan amendment to expand background checks for gun buyers, the young victims of next week’s school shooting emphatically thanked members of Congress today for failing to pass more comprehensive gun control legislation. “Great job, guys,” said 14-year-old Jacob Miller, one of nine junior high school students who will be shot next week by a mentally ill gunman wielding a legally acquired assault rifle that was purchased at a gun show. “My classmates and I are really proud of you for cowering to the NRA and caring more about politics than my friends and I getting shot and killed. It totally makes sense. You’re the best.” The soon-to-be massacred teenager added that his parents, Caroline and Pete Miller, also wanted to extend their heartfelt congratulations to the Senate.

The Onion on the voting today

NOTE - The Onion publishes satire

Some seem happy with the vote:

WASHINGTON—Following the Senate’s rejection of a bipartisan amendment to expand background checks for gun buyers, the young victims of next week’s school shooting emphatically thanked members of Congress today for failing to pass more comprehensive gun control legislation. “Great job, guys,” said 14-year-old Jacob Miller, one of nine junior high school students who will be shot next week by a mentally ill gunman wielding a legally acquired assault rifle that was purchased at a gun show. “My classmates and I are really proud of you for cowering to the NRA and caring more about politics than my friends and I getting shot and killed. It totally makes sense. You’re the best.” The soon-to-be massacred teenager added that his parents, Caroline and Pete Miller, also wanted to extend their heartfelt congratulations to the Senate.

The Onion on the voting today

NOTE - The Onion publishes satire

Archived