The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Alex Burrows Finally Become a Finesse Player?

Pasific Coluseum

This season he seems to have less jump, spunk or that pizaz that earned him huge kudos and a massive contract extension. Quite impressive for an undrafted projected 3rd line checker/grinder.

Alex Burrows just looks slow and not himself. I'm not one to ever doubt Burrows because he has always proved the critics wrong but I've been thinking...

Remember when Burrows was in beast mode? He had the total package. His game was multi-faceted where he'd agitate the star players into taking retarded penalties. His defensive reliability was legendary and his work ethic Hansen'esque.

I felt ashamed last night when he jumped on Backeses Back. C'mon, give St.Louis a 3rd Man In penalty.

Even worse is we didn't get to witness the walloping Ballard was gonna give to Backes. Has it come to Alex Burrows refusing to fight anymore?

My question is this: Has Alex Burrows become a finesse player allowing him to disregard all the other layers to his game. Seriously, he hasn't fought in forever. At times struggles to back check. Looks like he's slower this year than previous.

I just want to see the Alex Burrows of old. Where he did it all. I'm worried he has gotten an "inflated head"

My opinion on this is that Burrows has become a guy that we don't want to be in the box. I think his role is much more focused on scoring with the Twins then it is in the defensive end as it once was. Due to this he has paid a bit less attention in the defensive zone and although not a liability is not the defensive star he once was. Offensively he is at his best because he's creating chances with the Sedin's and reads off of them perfectly.

This season he seems to have less jump, spunk or that pizaz that earned him huge kudos and a massive contract extension. Quite impressive for an undrafted projected 3rd line checker/grinder.

Alex Burrows just looks slow and not himself. I'm not one to ever doubt Burrows because he has always proved the critics wrong but I've been thinking...

Remember when Burrows was in beast mode? He had the total package. His game was multi-faceted where he'd agitate the star players into taking retarded penalties. His defensive reliability was legendary and his work ethic Hansen'esque.

I felt ashamed last night when he jumped on Backeses Back. C'mon, give St.Louis a 3rd Man In penalty.

Even worse is we didn't get to witness the walloping Ballard was gonna give to Backes. Has it come to Alex Burrows refusing to fight anymore?

My question is this: Has Alex Burrows become a finesse player allowing him to disregard all the other layers to his game. Seriously, he hasn't fought in forever. At times struggles to back check. Looks like he's slower this year than previous.

I just want to see the Alex Burrows of old. Where he did it all. I'm worried he has gotten an "inflated head"

Clearly the OP has completely forgotten about the old Alex Burrows who took REALLY bad penalties along with drawing some from opponents. He's been a LOT more disciplined since that 2010. Before that, he'd slash, spear and cross-check his way into the box. Yesterday was the first really bad penalty I've seen Burrows take all year.

His defensive ability hasn't changed at all either. I've no clue what PC is talking about.

He's arguably are most important penalty killer, so he can't take bad penalties anymore. His goal scoring hasn't been unreal this year but it's there. He is still crashing the net and this getting the punishment from defenders by doing so. He still chirps and receives payback, he just does it more discreetly.

He is playing with the same intensity he always has just calmed down on the extra stuff this year ie. after whistle stuff, trying to get under opponents skin. I believe the fact that the other team can and knows they can do almost anything they want to do to Burrows and will not have a penalty called against them has been a big factor in this change, why take a beating if you know it wont result in a penalty. And as far as lastnite, Ballard is a tough guy but Backes would have ragdolled him so Burrows made the right decision knowing that we cant have another injured defenceman.

Clearly the OP has completely forgotten about the old Alex Burrows who took REALLY bad penalties along with drawing some from opponents. He's been a LOT more disciplined since that 2010. Before that, he'd slash, spear and cross-check his way into the box. Yesterday was the first really bad penalty I've seen Burrows take all year.

His defensive ability hasn't changed at all either. I've no clue what PC is talking about.

Archived