The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Alex Burrows Finally Become a Finesse Player?

Pasific Coluseum

This season he seems to have less jump, spunk or that pizaz that earned him huge kudos and a massive contract extension. Quite impressive for an undrafted projected 3rd line checker/grinder.

Alex Burrows just looks slow and not himself. I'm not one to ever doubt Burrows because he has always proved the critics wrong but I've been thinking...

Remember when Burrows was in beast mode? He had the total package. His game was multi-faceted where he'd agitate the star players into taking retarded penalties. His defensive reliability was legendary and his work ethic Hansen'esque.

I felt ashamed last night when he jumped on Backeses Back. C'mon, give St.Louis a 3rd Man In penalty.

Even worse is we didn't get to witness the walloping Ballard was gonna give to Backes. Has it come to Alex Burrows refusing to fight anymore?

My question is this: Has Alex Burrows become a finesse player allowing him to disregard all the other layers to his game. Seriously, he hasn't fought in forever. At times struggles to back check. Looks like he's slower this year than previous.

I just want to see the Alex Burrows of old. Where he did it all. I'm worried he has gotten an "inflated head"

Burrows needs to play in the playoffs like he did against Nashville and St.Louis to be effective. He's at his best when throwing the opposition off their game by getting in some slashes and battling hard. For most of the season he's looked slow and more unmotivated to engage physically.

Anyone who thinks Burrows is struggling defensively this season should really put this recent article on their "required reading" list:

http://canucksarmy.c...ely-this-season

They should also consider his underlying statistics (for this season):

-Burrows has a HARD (Hockey Analysis Rating Defensive) of 42.6 (5th best on Canucks, 3rd best among players with significant TOI this season). This is a complex stat that basically means that, when Burrows is on the ice, the Canucks give up 42.6% less goals than expected (as determined by the quality of teammates and opposition).

-In terms of Fenwick and Corsi, Burrows has a defensive rating that is 4th best on the Canucks, behind only the twins and David Booth. With Burrows on the ice, the Canucks give up 28% less Corsi events than expected and 24.1% less Fenwick events than expected.

-In terms of WOWYs (stats with a player versus without that player), every player with significant minutes played alongside Alex Burrows achieves significantly better stats with him than without him (see: http://stats.hockeya...2012-13&sit=5v5). He boosts GF% and CF% stats significantly. Looking at the goaltenders (whose stats reflect the entire team), Cory Schneider has only 0.392 GA20 (goals-against per 20 minutes EVTOI) with Burrows on the ice and has 0.710 GA20 without Burrows on the ice, while Roberto Luongo has a 0.467 GA20 (with Burrows) versus a 0.764 GA20 (without Burrows). In the case of Schneider (who should be the clear-cut starter from here on out), no player comes close to having Burrows' defensive value--Schneids has his lowest GAA when Burrows is on the ice and his highest GAA when Burrows is on the bench.

Like the title of the article (linked earlier in the post) says:

ALEX BURROWS IS CRUSHING IT DEFENSIVELY THIS SEASON

Burrows has the second highest + / - tied with Garrison at +17. Henrik is at +19.

And

He is the top scorer ahead of both Henrik and Daniel with 13 goals. And third in over all points behind the twins. This without regular PP time.

So defensively and offensively, he's at or near the top of the team.

Besides the stats, he is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. Is tenacious at retrieving the puck for his line-mates and has a nose for the net. And gets hacked and slashed without any mercy from Auger's brotherhood while he's doing it.

You could say he is our most consistent and all-round best player. The very last player on the team i would question his work ethic. Or if he has an "inflated head". And Alex has been a finesse player for a long time now, but you say it like its a bad thing.

This season he seems to have less jump, spunk or that pizaz that earned him huge kudos and a massive contract extension. Quite impressive for an undrafted projected 3rd line checker/grinder.

Alex Burrows just looks slow and not himself. I'm not one to ever doubt Burrows because he has always proved the critics wrong but I've been thinking...

Remember when Burrows was in beast mode? He had the total package. His game was multi-faceted where he'd agitate the star players into taking retarded penalties. His defensive reliability was legendary and his work ethic Hansen'esque.

I felt ashamed last night when he jumped on Backeses Back. C'mon, give St.Louis a 3rd Man In penalty.

Even worse is we didn't get to witness the walloping Ballard was gonna give to Backes. Has it come to Alex Burrows refusing to fight anymore?

My question is this: Has Alex Burrows become a finesse player allowing him to disregard all the other layers to his game. Seriously, he hasn't fought in forever. At times struggles to back check. Looks like he's slower this year than previous.

I just want to see the Alex Burrows of old. Where he did it all. I'm worried he has gotten an "inflated head"

As for the thread itself, I think Burrows has been playing very well lately. And to be honest, it sure seems like the Sedins miss him when AV moves him onto a different line for a game or two. He is a very important player and he brings so much to the table. If there is one guy on this team who has heart, it is #14. And consider he takes a lot of abuse and NEVER gets a call go his way. I have massive respect for how he has evolved his game.

Obviously you only watch the puck and not the play surrounding it. He is a beast in front of the net and has established himself there. One of the hardest things to do, as he takes a beating every game.

And don't be embarrassed...were you embarrassed when Backes was chopping at guys calves? Burr jumped in - in any capacity, that's ok by me. He easily could have had Backass turn on him and he risked that to have his teammate's back. That's what we need is that pack mentality whereby teams will be swarmed when they challenge or play dirty against one of our own. Burr, Lappy, and some of the other boys are always there...even though they're not the most effective "fighters", they don't care and jump in so there are numbers.

Burr's fine.

Archived