The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Breaking] Large explosion in Texas, multiple casualties

Not that I am agreeing with Tearloch or anything, but does anyone else find it sad that when a bomb kills a few people in the States everyone and there mothers seems saddened (as they should be), but this sort of thing happens every day in Iraq and Syria and most people couldn't give a rats ass?

Not that I am agreeing with Tearloch or anything, but does anyone else find it sad that when a bomb kills a few people in the States everyone and there mothers seems saddened (as they should be), but this sort of thing happens every day in Iraq and Syria and most people couldn't give a rats ass?

Do you care more about your neighbor who was robbed or the guy on the other side of town? It's not because of a lack of empathy on people's part whatsoever. It's both natural and normal to prioritize unfortunate events that are geographically closer to home.

Right you are. But then lets say there is a Syrian person on this forum who says he doesn't care about explosions in Texas or Boston, because for him, what's happening in his country is more important. Do you not think that there would be people on here who would rip into him?

Actually, the fire would not have turned into an explosion had the fire crew not tried to extinguish it with water. The Ammonia Nitrate combined with various other chemicals that were later exposed to water caused the explosion. The town is so small that they have a volunteer fire department that was probably not completely aware of how to fight this kind of fire.

I learned a long time ago while learning damage control and fire fighting in the Navy that certain extinguishing agents DO NOT mix when fighting certain kinds of fires. Sorry to sound like Fire Marshal Bill, but it is important to know some of the facts.

And yes, loss of life is unfortunate no matter the time or place. Especially when those lives are completely innocent.

Archived