Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Overall, staying friends with your 'Ex' a good or bad idea?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Overall, staying friends with your 'Ex' a good or bad idea?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you stay friends with your ex's?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Don't want to make it complicated but after recently entering the dating scene the last couple years, I'm finding out that staying friends with your ex isn't the greatest idea. I broke up with one, and in another I was broken up with. Jealousy, confusion, all sorts of poop spoken and unspoken going on. Situation isn't good in either case. So what is your rule for ex's?

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm on good terms with all my exs. Kind of look at it as having reference for a new job *COUGH* girlfriend. That way the new lady can see how amazing I must have been since the exs are cool and vouch for me. :P

Either way depends on the situation.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#3 KFBR392

KFBR392

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Every situation is different. If you and her are mature enough to handle it, why not?

If you care about her, and she cares about you - keep in touch. Having people in your life that truly care about is a rare commodity, especially as you age. It's beneficial to keep those people around, even if you no longer have a romantic relationship with them.

If the relationship was toxic, it will likely continue being toxic afterwards. If that's the case it should be a no brainier to distance yourself.

#4 C750X

C750X

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

"I broke up with one, and in another I was broken up with"

No comprendo!

Anyways, no, generally not worth it unless they are giving up the feline and no other feline available. However, the hand is always bull**** free and you can do whatever you want too!

#5 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

If there's a possibility of hubba hubba, and she's cool with that, stay friends.

If not, bounce. She's only gonna cause you psychological stress. It's best you move on to better things and eliminate the bad from your past.

But of course it really does depend on the situation, and the girl.

Posted Image

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

By the way I think I may have patented a new move. Been in a LTR you don't like? Scared to break the girls heart? Buy gifts THEN break up with them right after. It's a little complicated but for me it works like a charm. Exs still love me haha!

Side note: it may work on a guy yet I'm not sure. Ladies let me know ;)

Edited by Special Ed, 18 April 2013 - 12:08 AM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#7 KittenMittons

KittenMittons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

I personally don't like staying friends with exes or having them in my life in any way. I think of them as reminders of the past that I'd rather not interact with on a regular basis. If it was a bad relationship, it could become a toxic friendship. Even if it was a healthy/good relationship, it's still a reminder of something that didn't work out. I'd imagine unresolved subconscious feelings or issues may linger and pop up later. Or, what I see in a particular friend of mine who stays friends with every ex, holding out for "something" to eventually happen.

#8 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Keep them buried in your phone and hope for some action when you struck out all night.
Posted Image

#9 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Short version; Usually not worth it unless there are special circumstances...

#10 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

I'm on good terms with my exes, however I usually lose touch with them soon after the break-up just because they were girlfriend material but not friend material and the platonic connection just wasn't there.

However, there is one girl that I would stay friends with after a break up no matter what.

It really depends on the situation, if being friends with them proves more beneficial than harmful then go for it. Don't force yourself to stay friends with them.

#11 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Overall it really depends. But I'd say the vast majority of the time NO. Move on and make new relationships/friendships.

The Southern Kalifornia Orange Curtain.

#12 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

If your still hitting it then yeah why not, if not then whats the point, lol

#13 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

No two cases are the same, so there's no right answer. I'm mostly cool with my exes but I wouldn't say that we're friends - more like if I ran into them somewhere, we'd make genuine conversation and laugh it up a bit, but we'd never go out of our way to meet again. I think once you've been that close, there's no backtracking, it just becomes awkward seeing each other on a regular basis and having to change your behaviour.

#14 C750X

C750X

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

If your still hitting it then yeah why not, if not then whats the point, lol

Grammar cat...corrects...nah, grammar cat does not fcuking care!

#15 Butcher

Butcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

I also voted that 'it depends on the situation'. I have one ex gf that i stayed in good touch with for 15 years after we broke up. She always seemed to care how i was doing, and all difficult feelings between us were gone within a year after breaking up, so why not? It was good for both of us.
However, if its a person that stirs up unavoidable negative feelings, like if they cheated on you, then stay away, even if they want to be friends. No use hanging on to people in your life that did not treat you well enough, as theres plenty around that will treat you well.

#16 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

Like facebook friends yeah.. it's always nice to let them know you're life is fabulous and amazing w/o them. Like real life friends, goodness gracious no.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#17 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

By the way I think I may have patented a new move. Been in a LTR you don't like? Scared to break the girls heart? Buy gifts THEN break up with them right after. It's a little complicated but for me it works like a charm. Exs still love me haha!

Side note: it may work on a guy yet I'm not sure. Ladies let me know ;)

The gift of death...!

You're a troll, Ed. Buy her an autographed Burrows jersey and she'll be forced to think about you every time the Canucks are on TV. :lol:

#18 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

In my experience this is a HORRIBLE idea. Of course my ex is/was a fracking PSYCHOPATH...but yeah...in my experience not a great idea.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#19 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

The gift of death...!

You're a troll, Ed. Buy her an autographed Burrows jersey and she'll be forced to think about you every time the Canucks are on TV. :lol:

Haha yeah maybe.

#20 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

If you're planning to hook up again, yes.

If not, no.

#21 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,734 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Depends on the situation. One of my ex's cheated on me, so in that case there was no staying friends. One when we broke up it was cordial. But then she'd call me at weird hours to talk, and then even call me at work (She just really became semi-stalkerish), and I had to just walk away from that.
One we were good friends afterwords, but it was kinda awkward visiting her when her boyfriend at the time would show up.

I think long term it doesn't work out. I've had better luck staying friends with girls that you never dated in the first place.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 18 April 2013 - 07:27 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#22 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Depends on the situation. One of my ex's cheated on me, so in that case there was no staying friends. One when we broke up it was cordial. But then she'd call me at weird hours to talk, and then even call me at work, and I had to just walk away from that.
One we were good friends afterwords, but it was kinda awkward visiting her when her boyfriend at the time would show up.

I think long term it doesn't work out. I've had better luck staying friends with girls that you never dated in the first place.

Same here. Once you go past the friend threshold with a girl it's kind of difficult to get things back to the way they were before.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#23 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

I don't want to see them but I have too, they're my babies mommas.

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#24 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

You mean to tell me that you don't kill your exes?...

Edited by C00KIES, 18 April 2013 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#25 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I agree with those that say "it depends on the situation." I am still friends with several of my ex-girlfriends, one of them was actually in my wedding. But it kind of depends on why you broke up and how you both view it.

#26 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,175 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I generally always date people from work.
So I am very careful about how I end relationships.

#27 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I can't exactly do it myself, always end up trying to sleep with them.

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#28 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

Depends on the situation. One of my ex's cheated on me, so in that case there was no staying friends. One when we broke up it was cordial. But then she'd call me at weird hours to talk, and then even call me at work (She just really became semi-stalkerish), and I had to just walk away from that.

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#29 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I tried to be cool with my ex, but she didn't listen..ended up going to Walmart and buying duct tape and rope..

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#30 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Depends on your situation and there's. For myself, my exes and I have remained friendly, ending things with everything on the table and as clean as can be. However, we are not friends. If you are currently in a relationship, or married, being friends with your ex is generally not a good idea.

One of my ex's and I ended things on great terms. And to be honest, we both would say probably ended things pre-maturely. Knowing this, as does my wife, I do not maintain a friendship with her at all. When we cross paths, we are friendly, but we cannot be friends.

That's why I said it depends on your current situation and there's. If both of you are still single and ended things well, I don't see the harm. Otherwise, not the greatest idea.

Jybl4aB.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.