The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Overall, staying friends with your 'Ex' a good or bad idea?

hsedin33

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't want to make it complicated but after recently entering the dating scene the last couple years, I'm finding out that staying friends with your ex isn't the greatest idea. I broke up with one, and in another I was broken up with. Jealousy, confusion, all sorts of poop spoken and unspoken going on. Situation isn't good in either case. So what is your rule for ex's?

Every situation is different. If you and her are mature enough to handle it, why not?

If you care about her, and she cares about you - keep in touch. Having people in your life that truly care about is a rare commodity, especially as you age. It's beneficial to keep those people around, even if you no longer have a romantic relationship with them.

If the relationship was toxic, it will likely continue being toxic afterwards. If that's the case it should be a no brainier to distance yourself.

"I broke up with one, and in another I was broken up with"

No comprendo!

Anyways, no, generally not worth it unless they are giving up the feline and no other feline available. However, the hand is always bull**** free and you can do whatever you want too!

If there's a possibility of hubba hubba, and she's cool with that, stay friends.

If not, bounce. She's only gonna cause you psychological stress. It's best you move on to better things and eliminate the bad from your past.

But of course it really does depend on the situation, and the girl.

By the way I think I may have patented a new move. Been in a LTR you don't like? Scared to break the girls heart? Buy gifts THEN break up with them right after. It's a little complicated but for me it works like a charm. Exs still love me haha!

Side note: it may work on a guy yet I'm not sure. Ladies let me know ;)

I personally don't like staying friends with exes or having them in my life in any way. I think of them as reminders of the past that I'd rather not interact with on a regular basis. If it was a bad relationship, it could become a toxic friendship. Even if it was a healthy/good relationship, it's still a reminder of something that didn't work out. I'd imagine unresolved subconscious feelings or issues may linger and pop up later. Or, what I see in a particular friend of mine who stays friends with every ex, holding out for "something" to eventually happen.

I'm on good terms with my exes, however I usually lose touch with them soon after the break-up just because they were girlfriend material but not friend material and the platonic connection just wasn't there.

However, there is one girl that I would stay friends with after a break up no matter what.

It really depends on the situation, if being friends with them proves more beneficial than harmful then go for it. Don't force yourself to stay friends with them.

No two cases are the same, so there's no right answer. I'm mostly cool with my exes but I wouldn't say that we're friends - more like if I ran into them somewhere, we'd make genuine conversation and laugh it up a bit, but we'd never go out of our way to meet again. I think once you've been that close, there's no backtracking, it just becomes awkward seeing each other on a regular basis and having to change your behaviour.

I also voted that 'it depends on the situation'. I have one ex gf that i stayed in good touch with for 15 years after we broke up. She always seemed to care how i was doing, and all difficult feelings between us were gone within a year after breaking up, so why not? It was good for both of us.

However, if its a person that stirs up unavoidable negative feelings, like if they cheated on you, then stay away, even if they want to be friends. No use hanging on to people in your life that did not treat you well enough, as theres plenty around that will treat you well.

By the way I think I may have patented a new move. Been in a LTR you don't like? Scared to break the girls heart? Buy gifts THEN break up with them right after. It's a little complicated but for me it works like a charm. Exs still love me haha!

Side note: it may work on a guy yet I'm not sure. Ladies let me know ;)

Archived