Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Any rules preventing / punishing teams for throwing the season?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Let's be honest here, when it comes to the final stretch of the season and a team knows their out of the playoff hunt, it would be a logical notion for them to throw the rest of their games in order to place as low as possible in the standings.

I mean heck, the Oilers have done it for three years now, and are doing it again this season.

I'm wondering, are there any rules in place now that can allow the league to punish or fine a team in some form if they find evidence that players were instructed to throw games?

The Preds have lost 7 straight and the Oilers 6. It's pretty clear these teams are tanking the season to get a higher chance at a #1 pick. Not really fair for the teams who don't stoop to that level and have a smidgen of integrity.

Or do you think this should be allowed regardless? Interested to hear people's thoughts.

#2 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

These are professionals - they don't tank on purpose. They get paid a lot of money to entertain their fans.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#3 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Meh, their fans are paying to see them play. If the fans think they are playing extra crappy on purpose, the team will face their backlash. Fortunately most professional athletes have more pride than that. A lot of these crappy teams still have players looking to impress so that they can keep a job. If they get a #1 overall player that is ready to play in the nhl, one of them is out of a job.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 18 April 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#4 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I actually think both those teams just suck.

1. Oilers just fired Tambellini for a reason. He didnt put together the right mix, and given all the young offensive talent he had, that team should have made the playoffs. They are where they are because they have the same issues they had last year, no defence, a poor system and an average goalie. Add in recent internal fighting (Hall whining and a rookie Schultz calling out his teammates as selfish well you have to figure the dressing room is not a great places). Too many young egos, too few vets.

2. Nashville, other than one great dman and a great goalie suck as well. And as you may know that great dman just called out his team for a lack of effort a few games ago...so...its not a 'gm telling the team to tank' issue its a mix issue on both teams.

I actually would like Nashville to actually get a decent pick. With the Forsberg pickup and another offensive player, maybe their fans (who are great) will get some excitement and a team that can score, and nucks fans can watch some more offensive hockey when we play them.

#5 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,058 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I highly doubt any teams in the NHL throw games. They still have integrity to play for

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,124 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I highly doubt any teams in the NHL throw games. They still have integrity to play for

In 1993 the Ottawa Senators were thought to have tanked their final game in order to secure the first overall draft pick under the Coaching of our very own Rick Bowness.

Their Punishment?

Drafting Daigle.
Posted Image

#7 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

it's called the lottery

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,202 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

If there is evidence of teams not competing in games (whether to tank the season or get a prime playoff matchup) the NHL can fine teams, strip draft picks, etc.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#9 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

These are professionals - they don't tank on purpose. They get paid a lot of money to entertain their fans.

Being a "professional" doesn't mean they won't tank on purpose. Have you seen how some of the players in this league act? Some don't even know what integrity means. Get enough of them on one team with the same mentality... and you got a team that's willing to lose now to get an edge later.

As for entertaining their fans... what's more entertaining than seeing how the next superstar develops on your team (Yakupov)? Plus in markets like Edmonton and Nashville, the team can suck hard and fans will still go watch (Nashville fans are one of a kind).

#10 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I really don't think it's that far out of the question.... "integrity" is not what sells tickets.

#11 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Yes, the fans will no longer buy tickets or merchandise and free agents will not want to sign with your team. That is the punishment.

Edited by freebass, 18 April 2013 - 12:49 PM.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#12 kingfreako

kingfreako

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think this is a really great question. I don't think that NHL players purposefully play poorly to try to lose games. However, coaches and management might make roster moves or lineup decisions that affect the outcome of games. For example, "resting" star players when they know they are out of playoff contention and icing an AHL-quality lineup. Look at Nashville's roster right now. So many rookies! I understand they also have a lot of injuries they are dealing with, but it's still a little fishy. And I just cannot comprehend how the Oilers have gotten so many consecutive 1st overall picks. That needs to stop.
Posted Image

#13 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Edited by topbananas, 18 April 2013 - 01:02 PM.

stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#14 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think it's much more to do with loss of motivation. Once you know you are out of the playoffs it's pretty disappointing.

Teams will dress a younger/weaker roster that is more likely to lose though, I agree with that.

#15 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

According to Tampa Bay Fans, their team threw the 2008 season in the last 20 games, when apparently their number 1 goalie and backup were injured. They played the last 20 games or so with ahl goalies, they even scratched some of their roster players.

2010, Oilers gave up on season rather quite early. Hemsky and Khabibulin ran into i"injuries" at the same time, then Horcoff got hurt. All 3 suffered long term injuries. They were probably tanking.

2011 Oilers another don't give a !@@# season. Once again Hemsky and Khabibulin got into injures shortly after a "slow start" tanking process has begun. They tanked so hard, they finished 14 points behind the 2nd worst team, Toronto.

2012, they tried a little. Ales Hemsky didn't run into injuries this year, because it was a contract year. Khabilulin also missed time.

2013 is probably the only season they didn't tank.

But there's really no way of punishing teams for tanking. The only way they can do it, is if the lottery is harder to win. But I still don't think thats good enough.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#16 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I actually think both those teams just suck.

1. Oilers just fired Tambellini for a reason. He didnt put together the right mix, and given all the young offensive talent he had, that team should have made the playoffs. They are where they are because they have the same issues they had last year, no defence, a poor system and an average goalie. Add in recent internal fighting (Hall whining and a rookie Schultz calling out his teammates as selfish well you have to figure the dressing room is not a great places). Too many young egos, too few vets.

2. Nashville, other than one great dman and a great goalie suck as well. And as you may know that great dman just called out his team for a lack of effort a few games ago...so...its not a 'gm telling the team to tank' issue its a mix issue on both teams.

I actually would like Nashville to actually get a decent pick. With the Forsberg pickup and another offensive player, maybe their fans (who are great) will get some excitement and a team that can score, and nucks fans can watch some more offensive hockey when we play them.

How does Edmonton not have enough vets?

Smyth
Horcoff
Whitney
Khabibulin

They have enough vets, the team just needs a couple more years to develop with a few pieces add.... and an all star dman. Also, their goaltending is average at best

#17 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well the odds of getting #1 overall pick for last place is much less now.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#18 ArmchairCanuckGM

ArmchairCanuckGM

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

When you have a losing record or around .500 record there is no need to purposely tank games, since obviously your team can lose games by themselves playing their best.
Why people read signatures:
  • It is an acceptable way to stare at women.
  • Allows people to have a counter-argument by insulting what is in a persons signature (pooh-pooh fallacy).
  • Allows people to show that they like a man and they put colourful things around the picture of a man(usually a hockey player :P).
  • To watch a funny GIF or a funny pic.
  • Funny Quote or Saying
So I have no clue why are you reading my signature!

#19 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

the NHL is all about "optics".
If anyone, especially team managment admitted to tanking there would be large fines etc.
However, as trade deadline day is the most hyped day of the season, where would the NHL be if all trades were based on making teams better for "This" season?
Iginla trade? cancelled
Morrow, Jagr, Roy? all cancelled
THose trades are all about making the seller better in the future, not this season.

THe flip side is Calgary who "bought" their way all the way to 9th place for 6 years in a row.

it is kind of ironic that teams must ice X # of vets in preseason but the rule does not apply after the trade deadline.

#20 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

EDM did not do it by choice, they sucked lol

Plus EDM wasn't even the last place team last year, it was CBJ. They just won the lottery

#21 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Tanking is not an issue.

Why Not? Money.

Players: Players make a living by playing hockey which requires them to negociate and sign contracts. A player tanking only harms his leverage when it comes to getting a better contract and in some cases would even make other organizations not even consider offering a contract to that player. In fact players (specifically upcoming FA) will play even harder to prove that they are not the problem and deserve a new or bigger contract.

Coaches: Similar to players they are coaching for a contract but unlike many players coaches will often get fired before those contracts end. For a coach to tank they have to make bad calls on the ice which fans will pick up on and the coach be first in line to take the heat for the teams failures. If he is then fired this will only hurt his chances with other teams as "I was just tanking" isn't an excuse a coach can make to cover up bad coaching. You mentioned Edmonton, what good did all those losing seasons do for Pat Quinn? Tom Renney? How would it help Krueger's coaching career?

General Manager: Outside of producing a good team they are also involved with managing the money of the owner to a degree. Tanking not only hurts sales to end the season but if they don't even get that top pick (which most years still will not pull an immediate crowd) it puts them in a bad position. Not to mention the only true power they have is moving roster pieces around they cannot push a player to tank or a coach without at least guarenteeing job security or money to those people. Plus beyond that it harms the quality of contracts seen by the team. Poor teams do not often attract the cream of the FA crop and will often have to overpay even more so to sign these players. The risks simply aren't good business.

On the realistic note when a team realizes they are out of the playoffs it is not uncommon for the team to experiment a bit trying new line combos or giving special team play to different players and in general doing an evaluation. Sometimes this will make a team drop a few (or occasionally become more dangerous)

Posted Image

#22 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

I doubt an entire team would come together and agree to throw a game in the name of the franchise getting a slightly better player that can play with them 3-4 years down the road, especially when most of those players will be gone by then. If a player was seen 'tanking' that might come back to haunt him come contract time. Better off just to play hard and earn your paycheck.

Edited by hsedin33, 20 April 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#23 King Heffy

King Heffy

Kessel's Beer Gut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

This is where the Canucks have a leg up. If we ever need to throw a game a few years down the road, all we have to do is request O'Halloran and Sutherland as the officials.
Posted Image

#24 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Doubt anyone throws games. I mean (if I'm not mistaken) Dallas were sellers at the deadline losing Morrow and Jagr 2 players who could easily be key for them right now. Since the deadline they have only lost 2 games, if they were sellers they wouldn't be winning would they?

I mean no matter where you are in the standings how can players tank games? Personally if the Canucks were close to last, I would prefer they go out with good efforts and show the fans that we have something to look forward to in the future ;)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.