The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if MG had pulled off an Ovechkin trade?

At one point in Feb, Washington had a record of 2-5-1 and Ovi had well below standards stats with 2g, 1a, 3pts in 8 games. During that time Lui was playing great and held a 3-0-2 record, 1.50gaa and a 0.930 sv%.

Fast forward 3 weeks and Washington continues to fall at 5-10-1, and Ovi scoring only 5g, 5a, 10pts in 16 games. Mean whle Lui was at his best with a 5-0-3 record, 1.44gaa and a 0.935 sv%.

What if MG pulled off a Ribeiro, Ovi and Neuvirth for Lui, Ballard, Raymond and Schroeder and a (2x) #1 draft pick?

With how Ovi is playing now and Kesler back, a couple of minor deadline deals for depth Dmen. Canucks would be heading into the playoff potentially looking like this:

Sedin – Sedin – Ovi

Kassian – Kesler - Burrows

Higgens - Ribeiro – Hansen

Weise – Lapierre – Sestito/Jokinen

Hamhuis – Garrison

Edler – Bieksa

Hannan/Redden/O’Byrne – Tanev

Schneider

Neuvirth

Would you have done it just to win a cup this year?

Luongo, Edler, Ballard, Booth, 1st 2013.

Ovechkin, Green.

and

Jordan Schroeder

McBain and 5th 2013.

Lineup

_______

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Kesler-Ovechkin

Raymond-Roy-Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Weise

Pinizotto-Sestito

Green-Garisson

Hamhuis-Bieksa

McBain-Tanev

Alberts-Barker

Schneids

Backup/Lack

What If?

Luongo, Edler, Ballard, Booth, 1st 2013.

Ovechkin, Green.

and

Jordan Schroeder

McBain and 5th 2013.

Lineup

_______

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Kesler-Ovechkin

Raymond-Roy-Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Weise

Pinizotto-Sestito

Green-Garisson

Hamhuis-Bieksa

McBain-Tanev

Alberts-Barker

Schneids

Backup/Lack

What If?

Sometimes I really want to meet these people that come up with these awful proposals. On one hand, I would be fine if I found out the people responsible for them were 12 year olds. On the other hand, if they were adults with a high school education, I don't know how hard I would smack my head.

I honestly don t see any scenario where a deal of this magnitude could ve become reality.

First of all Ovechkin, at his worst, is still the face of that franchise and is beloved by the fans there. McFee would ve been crucified for it.

Secondly, I don t think we have the expendable assets that would interest him to make such a deal. Every player he would want, aside from, possibly, Lou (who would have to be part of the deal to free up cap space) we need to keep this team a contender. I, personally, would not give up any one or two of the Sedins (They would go as a pair obviously), Kesler, Edler, Burrows or Hansen. Another stumbling block is all the NTCs that would have to be waived.

However that being said, it is fun to think of a top 6 of:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - A.Burrows

A.Ovechkin - R.Kesler - J.Hansen

I would see him making a better impact with Kesler and Hansen.

But, alas, it s never gonna happen.

Archived