The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa = Heart of the team.

Canouver

Things getta lil loose when we don't have our juice.

Yeah?

On a serious note, I think this stinker was coincidental. He is missed, as a vetern prescence and someone who directs behind the scenes but I think we saw the end of a roadtrip drag. That third period was one too many.

Pretty sad that our defence relies on one guy for leadership. Once Salo left it became Bieksa, now Bieksa's gone we lack a true veteran leader on the back-end.

Hamhuis and Garrison are still relatively new Canucks, so I hate to say it but Edler really needs to step up and become a leader on this team. He's scored points, he's been the powerplay quater back we need, now he's been here long enough to take some responsibility and become a leader on the blueline, not just another "top-4" guy. That's the main thing that separates him from the Norris trophy-level defencemen in this league. You look at Doughty, Weber, Chara and co. - they're all great leaders.

I know Edler isn't going to be a vocal sort of guy, but just look at the Sedins - you don't have to be to become a great leader. If Edler plays with confidence, the rest of the defence will too.

One of the most overrated defense men in the league. A number #4 guy AT BEST.

I don't care about his 40 point seasons. Majority of the time is BRUTAL with his D coverage, make complete bone head decisions multiple times a game and can't handle the bigger guys along the boards.

I don't care about his 40 point seasons. Majority of the time is BRUTAL with his D coverage, make complete bone head decisions multiple times a game and can't handle the bigger guys along the boards.

Not to take anything away from Juice (as I think he does bring a lot of heart and leadership) but I'm thinking that with him and Tanev out we have no right handed D-men and THAT has more to do with the many embarrassing defensive gaffs last night. More than one particular player anyway.

Bieksa isn't perfect but he does add a little swagger and toughness on our D. Again too much hate when he makes a mistake and too much praise when he plays well.

That's what you get from a fan base that rides the pendulum of wins and losses.

Archived