Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

"It's up to me to step up and make some of those saves at key moments. I didn't tonight."

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I don't understand why people laud Schneider for saying stuff like this. He's always called a "class act" and "great media guy" and "selfless and modest" and "takes responsibility" when he says things like that on the media.

While it's leaps and bounds better than throwing other guys under the bus, and while it may pass once or twice, does it not get irritating to hear that, the 4th, 5th, 6th time? This is not the first time Schneider conceded several goals this season, and I'm not knocking his play, he has been generally excellent, but I'm just at a loss as to how anyone can actually say this guy is such a great "team guy".

That statement, to me, sounds like a politically correct way of saying, "I didn't do my job." It's sugarcoated, and it's a way of lying to the public, about how he f***ed it up tonight by not playing like the elite goaltender that replaced Roberto Luongo.

Once again, this is not a knock on his performance tonight. Everyone's bound to have a bad game once in a while. What I am asking is, does that statement really sound good to you? It honestly is worse than what Luongo says. The guy just states the situation and stops. No self-criticism, no self-blame, no signs of bitter disappointment at his own performance, just a well-rehearsed line that we've heard too many times.

The guy seems to be getting a little egotistical - we saw this near the end of last year when he became impatient with his backup role, as though he had the right to replace Luongo. It's turning into a rant - but do you agree? Does Schneider really deserve to get away with saying things like that?

Edit: Do people know how to read...? How many times do I actually have to say that this isn't about how he played tonight, or how the team played tonight?

Here: THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIS PERFORMANCE OR ANYBODY ELSE'S

To Deb: How so? How is saying that putting the blame on his shoulders? First of all, there's a fault distribution inaccuracy - everyone is assuming Schneider is more or less free of blame and is "taking everyone else's faults". Is this Jesus or something?

Secondly, the statement itself is the weakest and most empty sentence I have ever heard. Nothing could provoke less sympathy for the guy. I personally don't believe he should take more than a bit of the blame, but regardless, people on CDC have this messed up mentality. "I should have stopped those shots" is NOT an acceptable response. And it's not a matter of blaming one's self or not. I am only looking at the statement itself. It is simply an arrogant and empty thing to say.

Edited by LordofBrussels, 18 April 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

well that is his job - to make the key saves at key moments. and really i didnt think he played badly at all, the guys made some brutal mistakes tonight and he just couldnt bail them out.

#3 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Can't please everyone 100% of the time.

#4 sedin26

sedin26

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

POPULAR

Worst post I've seen here in years. I haven't logged in for a long, long time but I thought I'd dig up the password to make it clear how stupid this is.

#5 Discord

Discord

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

could have went in the PGT, just saying. not being a mini mod or anything, but schneids feels he's taking the heat for the loss, and he shouldn't. he's taking the high road for what the guys in front of him did. how many failed center passes/drop passes do our goalies have to bail the team on. the drop pass angers me the most. literally, it makes me angry cause teams all know it's coming, and every game almost, we're seeing all these odd man rushes because of the drop pass

2dvpkl4.jpg

Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys! CHOCOLATE RAIN

It's the year to be hated. I support our team.

I do take sig requests.

#6 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

POPULAR

He put the blame on himself without calling out any of his team mates in front of the press.....and you're mad at him for it? Yeah, sure he could have pulled a Ilya Bryzgalov, or Giguere and given the media a good sound bite, but what would that do for the team morale? I'm sure players like Kassian and others are feeling pretty low right now about their performances. It's the coaches job to call the players out, not each other. Schneider handled that interview with class
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#7 lee goren rulez69

lee goren rulez69

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

because nobody else says anything worth while on this team, it's always the "never too high never too low" bull. especially the sedins and AV

#8 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Worst post I've seen here in years. I haven't logged in for a long, long time but I thought I'd dig up the password to make it clear how stupid this is.

Yes, and I'm sure everyone here appreciates your valuable insight into the matter.

#9 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

typical Schneider.... far too hard on himself
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#10 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

nothing wrong

end useless thread

#11 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

trust me... there have been far far far far far worse than this lol
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,226 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

He totally owned a loss that was shared by the entire team. He could've said "we" could have played better and taken the heat off himself...he didn't do that.

I don't think there's ego at all...he's pretty well rounded from what I've seen. Just felt like he was part of the loss and took it on his shoulders.

Posted Image

#13 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Sure he could have made some more saves but honestly...our D was abysmal tonight.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#14 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

He didn't throw anyone under the bus. He took the blame himself and it wasn't his at all to take.

How could you say he's not a team guy? He's not going to call out his team in front of the media, he's not that way.

The loss was in no way his fault. He made plenty of great saves in the first 2 periods and out of nowhere the team was getting trampled on in the 3rd. Bounces were going Dallas' way also. Things weren't going the Canucks' way.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#15 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yes yes holy goshness Burr's a beaut, yes Kass too much yes trying hard...I'm sorry y'all, but I sorta' miss Saniel Dedin-& I think his posts bring luck for our boys-yesyesyes?

Now I'd like to see Schneids just go WACKO-Charlie Sheen-style fer gawd's sake! Show he's passionate, yes yes? Also he could get Tanya Harding's ol'flame to target Lu's knee; what with the PO's fast arriving...

Wonderful OP-you must be a real hardcore-backer!?

#16 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

That statement, to me, sounds like a politically correct way of saying, "I didn't do my job." It's sugarcoated, and it's a way of lying to the public, about how he f***ed it up tonight by not playing like the elite goaltender that replaced Roberto Luongo.

He basically stated what his job was, and then stated that he didn't do it. It's just a slightly less concise way of saying "I didn't do my job." How is that 'sugarcoated'?

Yes, it's a rehearsed line. What else do you want him to say? Blame his teammates? Go on a rant? His emotions were on clear display immediately after the game, he doesn't need to blow up in an interview over a bad game. Better just put it behind you and learn.

dontforgettolentil.png

#17 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

So Luongo starts next game yes? And if he wins it he'll start the next one and so on yes?

Enough d!cking around. Time to get our bench warming elite goaltender ready for the playoffs.

A god damned disgrace.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 18 April 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#18 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

POPULAR

As big a fanboy I am of Luongo, every goalie says this after a bad game. Sure he didn't play well in the key pressure moments and he's right - he played well when it didn't really matter (1st and 2nd) and played horribly when the game is on the line (start of the 3rd period tied).

Cup winning goalies aren't consistently good goaltenders - they're clutch guys who make key saves at key times. No goalie has played a perfect 20-something games during their cup run, even Tim Thomas was lit up against Montreal and Tampa Bay, but he posted the big games when it matters most.

Right now, Luongo is far better than Schneider at playing well WHEN it matters most. He's just simply better adjusted to the pressure of the NHL because of experience, Schneider will too but it'll take time.
Posted Image

#19 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

People need to understand its not always on the goalies shoulders. Goalies are expected to steal a few games. Have a couple bad games and have the team bail them out the other times. It always irked me when people rag on a goalie with 5 other players on the ice. Unless the goaltender is blatantly bad but you can't say that about Schneider or Luongo. Maybe now that CS gets more games the people ripping Luongo can see its not easy to have it on you.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#20 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

man, this thread makes me so angry.

if you listened to his post game interview and weren't such a meathead you'd be able to see that he was obviously very upset over a loss that was both his fault and the team's and that's exactly what he said! the total opposite of sugarcoating!!!

he said (1) I've got to make some of those saves to keep us in it and/or keep it close and (2) he said that the team in front of him played carelessly, sloppy hockey and were not hard on the puck and did not finish their plays. and he is 100% right!

he was clearly frustrated about the loss when he was slamming his stick skating off the ice. he was clearly still frustrated in the dressing room by and he should be! he owned his loss, and told it like it was. like a true professional who takes pride in his work and is frustrated when he feels like himself and the team are performing well below their potential.

the fact that a loss like tonight which was clearly a team loss becomes a story about the goalie disgusts me. he let in some softies but he was also left high and dry tonight by some awful turnovers by the team in front of him. the loss reflects on every canuck that dressed tonight, not just one. they lost as a team, will bounce back as a team. there's nothing wrong with what schneider said, in fact, someone needed to say exactly what he did say, the canucks have to be better. period. no excuses, especially this late in the season.

#21 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Before the season I predicted the Lu fans would try to get the fans to rally against Schneider as if that would justify their favourite player on the team having some bad playoff games.

There is nothing wrong with defending Lu if you like him, but trashing on Cory is exactly like those that want Kassian to fail because they miss Hodgson so much. If you can't see Schneider is an awesome goalie by now, then you never will.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#22 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

POPULAR

As big a fanboy I am of Luongo, every goalie says this after a bad game. Sure he didn't play well in the key pressure moments and he's right - he played well when it didn't really matter (1st and 2nd) and played horribly when the game is on the line (start of the 3rd period tied).

Cup winning goalies aren't consistently good goaltenders - they're clutch guys who make key saves at key times. No goalie has played a perfect 20-something games during their cup run, even Tim Thomas was lit up against Montreal and Tampa Bay, but he posted the big games when it matters most.

Right now, Luongo is far better than Schneider at playing well WHEN it matters most. He's just simply better adjusted to the pressure of the NHL because of experience, Schneider will too but it'll take time.

You can always count on this guy showing up after Schneider has a bad game. What a clown.

#23 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

schneider having the flu threw him off his game. lets hope he can find it the next few games.

however experience has told us that he recovers his game best when he takes a game (or 2) off. AV doesn't learn from history though ;)

However: Please be aware people that recovering from the FLU - COMPLETELY - is probably 2 weeks. JUST in time for the playoffs, or thereabouts... He is still a bit off from being sick, he is not 100% yet.

#24 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

man, this thread makes me so angry.

if you listened to his post game interview and weren't such a meathead you'd be able to see that he was obviously very upset over a loss that was both his fault and the team's and that's exactly what he said! the total opposite of sugarcoating!!!

he said (1) I've got to make some of those saves to keep us in it and/or keep it close and (2) he said that the team in front of him played carelessly, sloppy hockey and were not hard on the puck and did not finish their plays. and he is 100% right!

he was clearly frustrated about the loss when he was slamming his stick skating off the ice. he was clearly still frustrated in the dressing room by and he should be! he owned his loss, and told it like it was. like a true professional who takes pride in his work and is frustrated when he feels like himself and the team are performing well below their potential.

the fact that a loss like tonight which was clearly a team loss becomes a story about the goalie disgusts me. he let in some softies but he was also left high and dry tonight by some awful turnovers by the team in front of him. the loss reflects on every canuck that dressed tonight, not just one. they lost as a team, will bounce back as a team. there's nothing wrong with what schneider said, in fact, someone needed to say exactly what he did say, the canucks have to be better. period. no excuses, especially this late in the season.

First, a third of your post is irrelevant. Fixed for you.

Second, who says something like that when he or she is frustrated? Who says something as monotone and emotionless as "I was supposed to stop those shots and I didn't" when they are so frustrated, as you say? It sounds more like a summary of his game to me, and without the context of game, I would have had no idea what kind of emotions Schneider had during that interview.

You say no excuses, and to get the job done. Did he get the job done? I am fully aware that most of the team did not get the job done tonight either. But when you defend Schneider for something I didn't even accuse him for (I never accused him of playing bad or anything, quite the contrary, actually), you use the argument that the guy apparently says what must be said on behalf of the team. Even if a statement with the sincerity of a politician like that is something the team should be saying, who is Schneider to say something like that? He hasn't done jack squat either.

Nobody should be saying ANYTHING. They lost - they all played badly, and they really shouldn't be saying anything.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#25 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I've said this in many threads. For the record, I am a big Luongo fan and I believe he should be the starter.

That being said, tonight was not Schneider's fault. The team played terrible in front.

I hated seeing Luongo being blamed for the team's breakdowns, and I hate seeing it with Schneider now.

Of course he's gonna own up to it - he's supposed to be the last line of defense. But at times, it seemed like he was our only line of defense - and this happened with Luongo too many times as well. And IMO this is the burden that falls on the starting goaltender of this team since Luongo exceeded expectations in 2007.

Luongo was an elite, one-of-a-kind super goaltender when he arrived in 2007. But since his injury, and as he aged, he is no longer that. Schneider nor the current Luongo will never be what Luongo was in 2007 where he literally bailed us out and won games like these over and over again.

Vancouver somehow has gotten to expect that 2007 performance out of its starting goaltenders now. No defensive breakdown is the team's fault - it is the goaltender's for not stopping the puck.

Tonight was not Schneider's fault. If Luongo was in net, it could have been worse, or it could have been not as bad. It would not have been better. What I mean by this is that, with Luongo, we could have lost 8-1 (worse) or we could have lost 3-1 (not as bad), but never better (as in a win). Either way, with the way the team played, we would have lost the game.

No matter how elite your goaltender is, a game like this is not won unless you have a generational talent in their prime. We still have two terrific goaltenders. We've essentially run one out of town by this season's end - let's not run the other one out of town.

Edited by Dasein, 18 April 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#26 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Schneider is not what ails this team and Gillis is going to turf Luongo the moment he can land a desperate GM with a goaltending emergency.
Luo is going to have to show his worth elsewhere next year cuz all he is going to get is minimal minutes bar a complete Schneider meltdown.

#27 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

You must have missed the Boston series in 2011! Lu was the exact opposite of what yu claim he is in 4 of the 7 games. You need to read some comic books and find a new hero.

#28 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

We wouldn't be in third if it wasn't for Cory he put us on his back for 6 Games.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#29 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

It depends on whether he shows it or not in his play.

If he says it's my fault and then just goes out and puts little effort in to getting better in the future then I see the statement as just about meaningless. But Schneider has done well this year and worked hard to be good so I like it.

I think OP you are reading more into it than what's there. Even if you don't like the way he says it I think he's trying to do the right thing.

#30 rightasrain

rightasrain

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Wow, you know, if you keep sputtering you may even convince yourselves that you know what you are talking about. Ummm, how many goals were scored from behind the red line tonight. Can anyone tell me??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.