The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"It's up to me to step up and make some of those saves at key moments. I didn't tonight."

Ugli Fruit

I don't understand why people laud Schneider for saying stuff like this. He's always called a "class act" and "great media guy" and "selfless and modest" and "takes responsibility" when he says things like that on the media.

While it's leaps and bounds better than throwing other guys under the bus, and while it may pass once or twice, does it not get irritating to hear that, the 4th, 5th, 6th time? This is not the first time Schneider conceded several goals this season, and I'm not knocking his play, he has been generally excellent, but I'm just at a loss as to how anyone can actually say this guy is such a great "team guy".

That statement, to me, sounds like a politically correct way of saying, "I didn't do my job." It's sugarcoated, and it's a way of lying to the public, about how he f***ed it up tonight by not playing like the elite goaltender that replaced Roberto Luongo.

Once again, this is not a knock on his performance tonight. Everyone's bound to have a bad game once in a while. What I am asking is, does that statement really sound good to you? It honestly is worse than what Luongo says. The guy just states the situation and stops. No self-criticism, no self-blame, no signs of bitter disappointment at his own performance, just a well-rehearsed line that we've heard too many times.

The guy seems to be getting a little egotistical - we saw this near the end of last year when he became impatient with his backup role, as though he had the right to replace Luongo. It's turning into a rant - but do you agree? Does Schneider really deserve to get away with saying things like that?

Edit: Do people know how to read...? How many times do I actually have to say that this isn't about how he played tonight, or how the team played tonight?

Here: THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIS PERFORMANCE OR ANYBODY ELSE'S

To Deb: How so? How is saying that putting the blame on his shoulders? First of all, there's a fault distribution inaccuracy - everyone is assuming Schneider is more or less free of blame and is "taking everyone else's faults". Is this Jesus or something?

Secondly, the statement itself is the weakest and most empty sentence I have ever heard. Nothing could provoke less sympathy for the guy. I personally don't believe he should take more than a bit of the blame, but regardless, people on CDC have this messed up mentality. "I should have stopped those shots" is NOT an acceptable response. And it's not a matter of blaming one's self or not. I am only looking at the statement itself. It is simply an arrogant and empty thing to say.

could have went in the PGT, just saying. not being a mini mod or anything, but schneids feels he's taking the heat for the loss, and he shouldn't. he's taking the high road for what the guys in front of him did. how many failed center passes/drop passes do our goalies have to bail the team on. the drop pass angers me the most. literally, it makes me angry cause teams all know it's coming, and every game almost, we're seeing all these odd man rushes because of the drop pass

He put the blame on himself without calling out any of his team mates in front of the press.....and you're mad at him for it? Yeah, sure he could have pulled a Ilya Bryzgalov, or Giguere and given the media a good sound bite, but what would that do for the team morale? I'm sure players like Kassian and others are feeling pretty low right now about their performances. It's the coaches job to call the players out, not each other. Schneider handled that interview with class

He totally owned a loss that was shared by the entire team. He could've said "we" could have played better and taken the heat off himself...he didn't do that.

I don't think there's ego at all...he's pretty well rounded from what I've seen. Just felt like he was part of the loss and took it on his shoulders.

He didn't throw anyone under the bus. He took the blame himself and it wasn't his at all to take.

How could you say he's not a team guy? He's not going to call out his team in front of the media, he's not that way.

The loss was in no way his fault. He made plenty of great saves in the first 2 periods and out of nowhere the team was getting trampled on in the 3rd. Bounces were going Dallas' way also. Things weren't going the Canucks' way.

Yes yes holy goshness Burr's a beaut, yes Kass too much yes trying hard...I'm sorry y'all, but I sorta' miss Saniel Dedin-& I think his posts bring luck for our boys-yesyesyes?

Now I'd like to see Schneids just go WACKO-Charlie Sheen-style fer gawd's sake! Show he's passionate, yes yes? Also he could get Tanya Harding's ol'flame to target Lu's knee; what with the PO's fast arriving...

Wonderful OP-you must be a real hardcore-backer!?

As big a fanboy I am of Luongo, every goalie says this after a bad game. Sure he didn't play well in the key pressure moments and he's right - he played well when it didn't really matter (1st and 2nd) and played horribly when the game is on the line (start of the 3rd period tied).

Cup winning goalies aren't consistently good goaltenders - they're clutch guys who make key saves at key times. No goalie has played a perfect 20-something games during their cup run, even Tim Thomas was lit up against Montreal and Tampa Bay, but he posted the big games when it matters most.

Right now, Luongo is far better than Schneider at playing well WHEN it matters most. He's just simply better adjusted to the pressure of the NHL because of experience, Schneider will too but it'll take time.

People need to understand its not always on the goalies shoulders. Goalies are expected to steal a few games. Have a couple bad games and have the team bail them out the other times. It always irked me when people rag on a goalie with 5 other players on the ice. Unless the goaltender is blatantly bad but you can't say that about Schneider or Luongo. Maybe now that CS gets more games the people ripping Luongo can see its not easy to have it on you.

man, this thread makes me so angry.

if you listened to his post game interview and weren't such a meathead you'd be able to see that he was obviously very upset over a loss that was both his fault and the team's and that's exactly what he said! the total opposite of sugarcoating!!!

he said (1) I've got to make some of those saves to keep us in it and/or keep it close and (2) he said that the team in front of him played carelessly, sloppy hockey and were not hard on the puck and did not finish their plays. and he is 100% right!

he was clearly frustrated about the loss when he was slamming his stick skating off the ice. he was clearly still frustrated in the dressing room by and he should be! he owned his loss, and told it like it was. like a true professional who takes pride in his work and is frustrated when he feels like himself and the team are performing well below their potential.

the fact that a loss like tonight which was clearly a team loss becomes a story about the goalie disgusts me. he let in some softies but he was also left high and dry tonight by some awful turnovers by the team in front of him. the loss reflects on every canuck that dressed tonight, not just one. they lost as a team, will bounce back as a team. there's nothing wrong with what schneider said, in fact, someone needed to say exactly what he did say, the canucks have to be better. period. no excuses, especially this late in the season.

Archived