The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"It's up to me to step up and make some of those saves at key moments. I didn't tonight."

Ugli Fruit

I am looking at the bigger picture. Cory could demand a Pekke Rinneesque contract. He's made peanuts so far in his career and will be nearing 30 once his 4 mill one runs out. He's gonna wanna cash in long term at elite money. CDC reveres him as elite yet won't want to pay him that way. So what, he walks for nothing or we pay him 6-7 mill. Lu's hit is only 5.3. He can play at a high level into his late 30s. His contract will have trade value once he gets in his later years for teams wanting to create cap without salary. Lu is the smarter long term goalie to keep.

Compound this with each goalies respective trade value right now and I think trading Cory is a no brainer if fences can be mended with Lu... Which Im sure they can if MG apologizes and lets him be the number 1 like hes used to. Lu probably has a stronger psyche than any goalie in the league after everything hes been thru. I kinda wanna keep him.

And Schneider hasn't done that? Maybe not as often, or in as high pressure situations, but small sample sizes again as that should seem to be more frequent as he plays more games.

Way to make assumptions, but I've supported both the goalies and the team and always been critical of those that deserve it and fair to those that don't. The team may find themselves up more for a game, and more supportive/cautious/defensive of a newer goalie when they aren't as familiar with how he reacts but have been able to play behind a goalie who's stood on his head for them in the past.

But feel free to think that Schneider is immune to anything that Luongo has been blamed for in the past. We've seen it already this year where the uneducated/overreacting fans are quick to jump off the Schneider bus and get back on the Luongo one.

And Schneider hasn't done that? Maybe not as often, or in as high pressure situations, but small sample sizes again as that should seem to be more frequent as he plays more games.

Way to make assumptions, but I've supported both the goalies and the team and always been critical of those that deserve it and fair to those that don't. The team may find themselves up more for a game, and more supportive/cautious/defensive of a newer goalie when they aren't as familiar with how he reacts but have been able to play behind a goalie who's stood on his head for them in the past.

But feel free to think that Schneider is immune to anything that Luongo has been blamed for in the past. We've seen it already this year where the uneducated/overreacting fans are quick to jump off the Schneider bus and get back on the Luongo one.

I don't know what the hell the OP is complaining about. Schneider is just showing accountability and taking his share of blame for the loss. I think the OP is wrong about Schneider, he's not egotistical at all, he is quite humble. I like his attitude better than Luongo's as a matter of fact. When Schneider does poorly, you really get the sense by his words and reaction afterwards that he is genuinely disappointed and bothered by it and that he tries very hard to address his mistakes and make up for it the next time around. He is very competitive by nature and has a great work ethic. When Luongo has meltdowns, its like water off a duck's back. It doesn't seem to have much effect on him. I have full confidence in Schneider and I know he's gonna bounce back and do better next time.

The media and fans would have been all over Lu for a loss like that. The goalie stick incident would have been blown way out of proportion. Schneider is not held to nearly the same standards as Luongo. That is obvious. I'm glad that Cory owns his bad play. To his blind backers he never lets in a bad goal. We all know that is not true.

I don't understand why people laud Schneider for saying stuff like this. He's always called a "class act" and "great media guy" and "selfless and modest" and "takes responsibility" when he says things like that on the media.

While it's leaps and bounds better than throwing other guys under the bus, and while it may pass once or twice, does it not get irritating to hear that, the 4th, 5th, 6th time? This is not the first time Schneider conceded several goals this season, and I'm not knocking his play, he has been generally excellent, but I'm just at a loss as to how anyone can actually say this guy is such a great "team guy".

That statement, to me, sounds like a politically correct way of saying, "I didn't do my job." It's sugarcoated, and it's a way of lying to the public, about how he f***ed it up tonight by not playing like the elite goaltender that replaced Roberto Luongo.

Once again, this is not a knock on his performance tonight. Everyone's bound to have a bad game once in a while. What I am asking is, does that statement really sound good to you? It honestly is worse than what Luongo says. The guy just states the situation and stops. No self-criticism, no self-blame, no signs of bitter disappointment at his own performance, just a well-rehearsed line that we've heard too many times.

The guy seems to be getting a little egotistical - we saw this near the end of last year when he became impatient with his backup role, as though he had the right to replace Luongo. It's turning into a rant - but do you agree? Does Schneider really deserve to get away with saying things like that?

Edit: Do people know how to read...? How many times do I actually have to say that this isn't about how he played tonight, or how the team played tonight?

Here: THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIS PERFORMANCE OR ANYBODY ELSE'S

To Deb: How so? How is saying that putting the blame on his shoulders? First of all, there's a fault distribution inaccuracy - everyone is assuming Schneider is more or less free of blame and is "taking everyone else's faults". Is this Jesus or something?

Secondly, the statement itself is the weakest and most empty sentence I have ever heard. Nothing could provoke less sympathy for the guy. I personally don't believe he should take more than a bit of the blame, but regardless, people on CDC have this messed up mentality. "I should have stopped those shots" is NOT an acceptable response. And it's not a matter of blaming one's self or not. I am only looking at the statement itself. It is simply an arrogant and empty thing to say.

Seems like this guy comes out publicly about everything that's not going his way, kinda getting sick of it, just suck it up and play. Jezz the guy crys about his playing time then get's to play, the guy cry's about having to be better, well then do I don't need to hear it. He gets scored on 5 times losses the game, throws a temper tantrum after the game slamming his stick, like jezz what will he do next time he lets in 5? Throw his stick into the crowd? What happens if he ever lets in 6 should the whole team run to the dressing room before he explodes?

What did you want him to say? "I'm so sorry from the bottom of my heart for sucking in the third period, my entire team forgot how to play defence and turned the puck over with recklass abandonment and i wasn't able to make the four good saves to keep the game close at 1-1" ! :picard:

I do agree somewhat though, if what your trying to say is that players and coaches tend to sound overly rehearsed when talking to the media. But really when you lose that badly does it really matter what they say? It's not gonna make anyone feel any better anyway?

Because the goaltender corrects for mistakes. If we can't hold the goaltender responsible for a loss, then might as well not have a goaltender at all if the defense cannot make mistakes. So yes, this game was his fault. Those saves were saves that he should and usually does make.

The media and fans would have been all over Lu for a loss like that. The goalie stick incident would have been blown way out of proportion. Schneider is not held to nearly the same standards as Luongo. That is obvious. I'm glad that Cory owns his bad play. To his blind backers he never lets in a bad goal. We all know that is not true.

This is why I don't come into Canucks talk anymore. Schneids has a rough night, owns it and people still jump all over him. With all the craziness going on in his hometown, yah, his heads probably been in a weird place the last week. With the amount of times he's saved our ass this year, you'd think people would cut him a break...nope. Ridiculous. :sadno:

This is why I don't come into Canucks talk anymore. Schneids has a rough night, owns it and people still jump all over him. With all the craziness going on in his hometown, yah, his heads probably been in a weird place the last week. With the amount of times he's saved our ass this year, you'd think people would cut him a break...nope. Ridiculous. :sadno:

That's ridiculous if that's true how can you blame a goalie when a team is out shot etc. Noone gave a break to Schneider opening game and some games early in the season. Everyone knew he played average etc even he said so. This market is a goalie grave, if Cory starts letting bad ones in on the regular or dont own up to his mistakes; you telling me the media and fans will give him a beak???? Hell no!!!!!!

Quote from the province "Since this issue has been ongoing, the Canucks have been giving up lots of shots. And remember, even though they gave up the four goals in the third period last night, Cory Schneider was absolutely outstanding in the first two periods to keep them close. Had he not been brilliant in St. Louis even the Blues, the gang who can't shoot straight, could have reached double figures Tuesday."

Archived