The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"It's up to me to step up and make some of those saves at key moments. I didn't tonight."

Ugli Fruit

Hes too hard on himself.

He made some great saves. The defense, really, the whole system in which the team played last night was atrocious.

The D was amateur outside of Alberts. Roy, Kassian Kesler couldnt get the puck out of our zone off the boards at all. Especially Roy. Just terrible d zone puck movement and coverage.

Id be pissed as a goalie last night.

I'm a fan of both, and am happy with either right now but realize Schneider's future potential and younger age. I'm a realist too, and know the team is looking at Schneider over Luongo going forward unless something changes that.

The bolded part was really what I wanted to reply to (since the thread is just like many others, about most any topic really).

Luongo played well in a lot of blow out losses that he gets full blame for, just like Schneider played well despite a 3rd period blow out. The difference for the most part between us winning games and losing in spectacular fashion (with either goalie) is the play of the team in front of the goalie. Sure, both have had goals in those blow out losses they'd like back, or feel is a save that would really bail out the team that they couldn't quite make, but that was not the be all and end all of those losses to put it all on the goalie.

It seemed before the team played differently in front of Luongo than they did in front of Schneider. It might just be sample size, or maybe they (consciously or sub-consciously) played harder in front of Schneider. Either way, Schneider was protected a bit more in important games in my opinion.

I guess the honeymoon's over.

Guest Pinchin

2 years from now, I am going to freaking laugh so hard when Schneider is showing exactly what Lu gave us before his big contract signing, good stretch of reg season games with moment lapses that causes the team games, and he is asking for a long term big ticket contract.

Get ready Gillis, you are going to offer Schneider 8 years, 50 mil deal with a No Movement Clause. Hmm...where did I hear this before...

Schneids made some HUGE saves last night. I was at the game and the people around my wife and I kept saying how impressive he was. The problem? His D abandoned him in their own zone and gave away the puck like they were the US Government giving away food stamps. It was embarassing for him. He broke his stick on the boards at the end of the game when he was exiting the ice and I have NEVER seen him do anything like that. That is more of a Rask or Smith type antic. That should show you how frustrated he was with himself and without saying it to the media, his team mates. I watched the game when I got home last night to get a better look at the Dallas goals and all but one were not his fault. When your D gives the puck away like that, you are going to get hung out to dry and that is just what happened last night.

Schneids made some HUGE saves last night. I was at the game and the people around my wife and I kept saying how impressive he was. The problem? His D abandoned him in their own zone and gave away the puck like they were the US Government giving away food stamps. It was embarassing for him. He broke his stick on the boards at the end of the game when he was exiting the ice and I have NEVER seen him do anything like that. That is more of a Rask or Smith type antic. That should show you how frustrated he was with himself and without saying it to the media, his team mates. I watched the game when I got home last night to get a better look at the Dallas goals and all but one were not his fault. When your D gives the puck away like that, you are going to get hung out to dry and that is just what happened last night.

How anyone questions Schnieder's integrity is beyond comprehension.

Obvious Lou lover who has to hate. Pathetic really.

What do you expect? I guess he could just throw the team under the bus. He answers a simple question with a simple answer. What an egotistical Ahole.

Have no problem with Schneider stepping up and backing up his team-mates.

It doesn't change the fact that it was not his fault at all last night - enough of those goals were unstoppable, to the point that there was no way he was going to rescue the team last night from a loss, but I think his perspective is fine - and in a sense it undoubtedly endears him to his team-mates. It's a good team comment - he's looking at his own performance first and foremost before he finds fault in anyone else. Not sure what the angle in seeing fault with this is.

I don't think Cory played poorly last night but to say he made huge saves is a stretch....

He made the one glove save which was because he was in great position as usual and it ended up in his glove. He sold it as Lui always does. But he didn't make any huge saves if u ask me... hence his post game comments.

It's simply Cory keeping himself accountable. He expects greatness out of himself, and therefore to him, anything more than 2 goals is unacceptable. Last night was clearly not his fault. He did not let in a single bad goal against the Stars, and I don't think he had much of a chance on any of them, but as an elite goaltender, Cory expects himself to put the team on his back when the situation calls for it by making the stops that other goalies wouldn't make.

That mindset is going to get him into the hall of fame.

I guess you would have to go back and watch the game, but in person it certainly appeared to me as well as Stars fans that he was bailing our D out around the crease on some in-tight shots. A lot of it was rebounds and whatnot, but there were numerous times that the crowd noticed Schneids coming up big. Especially in the 2nd period. The couple next to us kept mentioning that he was keeping us in the game. And they were not Canuck fans.

People need to look at the big picture. Stop critiquing the goalies. They are both very good goalies. But if you are a knowledgable fan you know that the salary cap is going down. For me, Cory's contract will help the overall team structure going foward.

I am looking at the bigger picture. Cory could demand a Pekke Rinneesque contract. He's made peanuts so far in his career and will be nearing 30 once his 4 mill one runs out. He's gonna wanna cash in long term at elite money. CDC reveres him as elite yet won't want to pay him that way. So what, he walks for nothing or we pay him 6-7 mill. Lu's hit is only 5.3. He can play at a high level into his late 30s. His contract will have trade value once he gets in his later years for teams wanting to create cap without salary. Lu is the smarter long term goalie to keep.

Compound this with each goalies respective trade value right now and I think trading Cory is a no brainer if fences can be mended with Lu... Which Im sure they can if MG apologizes and lets him be the number 1 like hes used to. Lu probably has a stronger psyche than any goalie in the league after everything hes been thru. I kinda wanna keep him.

Nah your're wrong. Even if Lu played well in blowouts or any game he plays astounding,

he has a habit of letting that one "wtf" goal in was one of my pet peeves. Also the fact he used to blame his teammates for back door plays. When theres a blowout you usually look to the goalie but the whole team is to blame. You are probably one of the fans who blamed the goalie solely is why you are saying this. Your notion is absurd, so you think all 5 players on ice play differently when one or the other goalie is in net? I find that hard to believe considering they are both good goaltenders who deserve to be number one in the league. If you don't think that by now you probably the only in the NHL world who doesn't.

Seems like this guy comes out publicly about everything that's not going his way, kinda getting sick of it, just suck it up and play. Jezz the guy crys about his playing time then get's to play, the guy cry's about having to be better, well then do I don't need to hear it. He gets scored on 5 times losses the game, throws a temper tantrum after the game slamming his stick, like jezz what will he do next time he lets in 5? Throw his stick into the crowd? What happens if he ever lets in 6 should the whole team run to the dressing room before he explodes?

Archived