The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most overrated television shows

marleau_12

The Soprano's, save yourself a good portion of your life and watch Goodfellas instead.

Breaking Bad, I don't know if it got good after the 4th episode becaise that's all I could watch.

Eastbound and Down season 3. Not overrated because I never heard anyone ever talk about it. I expected more from Kenneth Powers.

i love breaking bad. i agree with sopranos, though. biggest FU ever. east bound and down, i never thought was funny

Dexter used to be an amazing show but it's overrated now. The stories play out in the must unrealistic ways now, Dexter's character has changed way to much and is almost the opposite in every possible way from the start, and they push numerous stories and scrap them or literally just do nothing with them.

Law & Order SVU, 30 Rock, Modern Family (watched a few episodes and did not even crack a smile once), and, even though I enjoy it, Walking Dead. Nothing is that great about it except maybe the special effects. Character deaths are supposed to be emotional but I find myself not caring because they're so poorly fleshed out.

Thats really just a different phrasing of what I said. The Big Bang Theory's comedy can be boiled down to this:

"Uh oh, Leonard has trouble with Penny because he's a nerd lolololol!"

"Howard can't pick up chicks because he's a nerd and doesn't understand women lololololol!"

"Sheldon doesn't understand this particular social convention because he's a nerd! (or has aspergers) lololol"

"Raj can't talk to women because he's insecure and a nerd! lolololol"

"Look, they went to a comic convention/are playing video games/dressing up as superheroes/whatever! isn't that nerdy? lolololol!"

"They said some complex scientific equation the less intelligent characters don't understand! lololololol"

These are all tropes that have been tread countless times before.

Besides, intelligence=/=nerdiness.

Seeing as this post shows you haven't been watching for a long time...

- Leonard and Penny are on good terms in their relationship and it's not awkward/completely troublesome for him anymore.

- Howard is actually married now

- Sheldon surprisingly has a girlfriend but of course, knowing him, he has a contract agreement with her

- And Raj is still the same

- Leonard and Penny are on good terms in their relationship and it's not awkward/completely troublesome for him anymore.

- Sheldon surprisingly has a girlfriend but of course, knowing him, he has a contract agreement with her

The plot development is irrelevant. I was describing the humour. Which is exactly the same.

<p>

Just name some shows you find overrated (except Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Dexter cause you're INSANE if you say one of those.

So we're only allowed to name shows that are not one of your favorites.....OK

A premature one for me is Suits. I saw about six episodes and was bored as hell through every single one of them. I never saw what was so great about the show

Well this is the difference between you and I. If I deemed a show to dull to live I would switch it off and never bother again. My pick has got to be the Simpsons though. When the hell is this show going to die. Even the creators have got to be sick of it. Can't stand any of these other so called adult cartoons either. But to tell the truth I watch very little television anymore. Not sure why, mostly I hate the production techniques which seem to trend and copycat each other. If something truly unique comes along...well I wouldn't know because I think that I'm mostly turned off tv now. I don't even know the shows you're talking about. I've tried to watch modern family because I hear a lot of people list it as their favorite and because I like sitcoms (or at least I once did, there's very few worth watching anymore) but it has never really grabbed me. They can't make a drama anymore that just straight drama without throwing in some drama queens and soap opera content to fill the spaces. In other words it seems like there are no writers that can take the concept of action packed drama anymore and flesh it out from beginning to end. And none of them seem to have the courage to step outside of what's trendy and be creative. Of course I'm sure it's the network execs that make those decisions but to me...TV died years ago.

I think the question needs to be altered. Are you wondering what critically acclaimed shows we think are overrated, or shows that the general public loves that are overrated?

Because the general public likes some stupid shows, which is basically everything on tv:

- 2 Broke Girls

- Whitney

- Mike and Molly

- 2 and Half Men

- Every reality show

- The Middle

- Glee

- Big Bang Theory

- etc

- etc

- etc

As for shows in syndication:

- Friends

- Friends

- Friends

- Friends

- Friends

- Everybody Loves Raymond

- Friends

- Home Improvement

- Friends

- Friends

- Friends

You forgot one point:

- And the show is still absolutely awful.

As CAPSLOCK already said, it is completely irrelevant about the plot development in Big Bang Theory, or any other "tv sitcom." The humour has not changed. I do not need to watch more than 3 episodes of 2 and Half Men to know that the next 10 seasons (I don't know how many there are, I haven't watched more than 3 episodes) are completely awful. The humour is what it is.Seinfeld did not change the humour or format of the show, yet the episodes remain funny 15-23 years later.As Big Bang Theory is the show being discussed, I will use it as an example. I laughed the first 10 episodes that I watched, but haven't since. The problem is that the "jokes" are not ones that continue to be funny, even if the plot changes.The same can be said about How I Met Your Mother (which I used to really like). After about 4-5 seasons, the same type of jokes did not work once the characters actually got older and more mature.

To extend on the point I was getting to above, that is why BBC shows, in general, are seen to be so much better than those in the US. They do not overstay their welcome.

For example, one of my favourite BBC comedies was Extras. However, you can tell that Ricky Gervais progressed the character as long as he should have. It's one of my favourite shows, yet it really would have grown stale and old if he extended it another 1 or 2 seasons.

To be honest, Big Bang Theory would have been better had they limited it to maybe 3 seasons. Even a once favourite show of mine, Community, would have been viewed as a truly fantastic tv show of it's time, had they actually limited it to 2 or 3 seasons. As referenced in the season 3 episode when the group went to see a "psychiatrist", Community college usually lasts only 2 years. At this point, it's starting to grow stale.

Very, very few shows continue to be funny during a 8-9 seasons run.

Archived