The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most overrated television shows

marleau_12

I think Hell's Kitchen has run its course...... I used to really enjoy it but its so predictable now and very repetitive. Gather 14 useless morons who shouldnt be in a kitchen so that Ramsay can yell and scream at them and maybe 2 or 3 decent cooks who you know will be there at the end.

How can anyone go on that show after all these seasons and not know how to cook scallops, risotto and beef wellington ?

The Soprano's, save yourself a good portion of your life and watch Goodfellas instead.

Breaking Bad, I don't know if it got good after the 4th episode becaise that's all I could watch.

Eastbound and Down season 3. Not overrated because I never heard anyone ever talk about it. I expected more from Kenneth Powers.

It goes pretty slow the first few but it does get better.

I don't mind Matt Smith, don't get me wrong, he's no David Tennant, but the show has seemed incredibly stale since at least halfway through the Amy and Rory phase. Clara is not making things anything better, at least in my opinion.

Do you know if they changed writers or something? (if I was proactive I could just look it up, the internet is marvelous that way)

I almost feel as if it's slowly become Americanized. Something that is easy to digest, not particularly well written, but broad enough for more people to be entertained by it. Maybe I'm just being overprotective of my emotional attachment to my idea of what the show should be?

Anyways, somethings not right with it at the moment.

the original head writer (Russell T. Davies) of the show "re-boot" left the same time as David Tennant and handed the duty to Steven Moffat (who had written a few episodes up till this point.) And in those few episodes that Moffat did write, they were actually really good (for the most part.)

here's the problems as I see it...

1) Smith is being limited (either by Moffat or himself) from really taking control of everything. At least with the previous Doctor's, even if they didn't know what to do... they still had the look of "yeah, I'll figure it out eventually." Smith gives off more of a; "I have no clue what I'm doing and I hope to get lucky!" There are a few times when we see Smith actually take the bull by the horns (his first episode when he says; "it... is... protected!" was up there with Tennant's "no second chances... I'm that kind of man.")

2) Moffat makes the assistants "too strong" or at least more strong than Smith. The Doctor is the brilliant one... not the humans that tag along.

3) Moffat has ran out of ideas too quickly... or... he's ran out of ways to fill in the gaps between major plot ideas (his ideas for enemies has been REALLY good.. the Angles are the best new enemy created)

Goodfellas is great, Sopranos is a masterpiece. Can't think of a better drama in tv history. Phenomenal acting, rich and layered story, intelligent and hilarious writing.

Minus the first season, which has major production issues, this show is an absolute gem. Strongly encourage everyone watches it if they haven't.

Greatest show of all-time IMO.

There's almost no sense in arguing in this thread since it's all just a matter of opinion. But to annoy the OP, he mentions maybe THE most overrated show on TV, Mad Men. I just don't get the love for this show. It is so beyond boring. Again, just my opinion but NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! I actually tried getting through the first season and couldn't.

Also, The Walking Dead. Never seen a show so overhyped by its own channel. I mean, "Talking Dead"? Really??

There's going to be a Season 9 of HIMYM lol.... I'm just waiting on who the mother is and what the hell Barney actually does

Yea I knew there was going to be a season 9, you could sorta tell before the announced at the speed which Ted couldn't find his wife. I am waiting for the same things! If it doesn't end at 9, I won't watch 10 because the show will have just beat itself up by then.

Yeah, but you can find much better coffee around the corner too.

Not on my way to work at 11PM, everything is closed by then and McDonalds (who I usually prefer) has absolute crap coffee at that time of night since I am sure its been sitting for hours by then.

Battlestar Galatica the second series.

Much like Walking Dead way too much whining and paranoia to be enjoyable.

Basically I hate how television has gotten soap opera like. Personality conflicts, every show links to the previous episode. No trust. I don't mind characters who have to struggle through challenges, but there's not even likeable characters anymore.

At least with the X-files there was paranoia, but the characters were interesting and the writing was really good.

I think what TV needs to do is bring back the 1/2 hour dramas. Use these shows for writers, actors, and directors and technicians to "cut their teeth" so to speak and learn the trade. Once they get good with 1/2 hour shows they move to the 1 hour long episodes.

How many shows are even remotely this well done now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1671jRTSI

I'm shocked that I've seen the big bang theory come up so much. Amazing show!! Sheldon really makes it, they other guys just fill in the gaps. And then their is Penny who, IMO, is one of the hottest girls on the planet right now.

As for mine...the bachelor and american idol and all those kinds of shows. They are so awful and contrived. :sick:

I think Hell's Kitchen has run its course...... I used to really enjoy it but its so predictable now and very repetitive. Gather 14 useless morons who shouldnt be in a kitchen so that Ramsay can yell and scream at them and maybe 2 or 3 decent cooks who you know will be there at the end.

How can anyone go on that show after all these seasons and not know how to cook scallops, risotto and beef wellington ?

thats pretty much what hell's kitchen is all about xD

i love kitchen nightmares though. even though it's still around the same premise as hells kitchen, it has more content. even though every episode has the same formula: place, character introduction, kitchen inspection, 1st dinner service, ramsey yelling at people, kitchen breaks down, end of service lecture, next day, restaurant makeover, 2nd dinner service, kitchen almost melts down but everyeone's suddenly working together, end of show

however, despite that, sometimes some of those episodes actually get emotional. you actually care about the people. i think there were a couple of episodes where i was tearing up lol

i also like the bits of how dirty the kitchens are because there are places like that everywhere

I'm shocked that I've seen the big bang theory come up so much. Amazing show!! Sheldon really makes it, they other guys just fill in the gaps. And then their is Penny who, IMO, is one of the hottest girls on the planet right now.

As for mine...the bachelor and american idol and all those kinds of shows. They are so awful and contrived. :sick:

penny let herself go during the 4th/5th season but she's redeemed herself

Like most great shows, The Sopranos took a serious downhill slide after season 4. Im very happy to see that Breaking Bad has not followed this trend thus far and Dexter has recovered itselfpuyewquite nicely with some ridiculous drama that will keep people watching...

Season 5 of The Sopranos was arguably its best season. Some really great moments, loved it. I have no idea why you consider season five weaker? Frankly, I think they ended the show right where they should have.

Dexter has not been the same after season four. It got so, so bad. Its most recent season was definitely an improvement, but it still had some really brutal writing. Take virtually everything with Quinn, for example. And for the love of god, they need to stop dubbing in lines for Harrison. It's so poorly done it makes me cringe.

Season 5 of The Sopranos was arguably its best season. Some really great moments, loved it. I have no idea why you consider season five weaker? Frankly, I think they ended the show right where they should have.

Dexter has not been the same after season four. It got so, so bad. Its most recent season was definitely an improvement, but it still had some really brutal writing. Take virtually everything with Quinn, for example. And for the love of god, they need to stop dubbing in lines for Harrison. It's so poorly done it makes me cringe.

I'm close to the end of season six right now, but you're right. Season four was excellent television, but it has not been the same since Arthur Mitchell.

Aw man don't tell me that :( I was just about to get started on Season One

2 years ago the answer had to be Jersey Shore. Who cares what a bunch of random people do with their screwed up lives? That show became way to popular for what it was. However, I have to admit that I really enjoy Duck Dynasty which has some similarities (such as being about following people around as they live their life). But thankfully there is no drama in Duck Dynasty and it is actually funny. Thank you Si for all the laughs

Archived