The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

Guest Gumballthechewy

So... turnovers cost most players ice time. But you want the coach to reward Kassian with top line play because....? What kind of message does that send to guys that work hard on the 3rd/4th lines?

I've honestly never seen so many excuses for any professional athlete before. Have you clowns forgotten that this is a Stanley Cup or bust team?

Everyone acting like Kassian is some beast out there and it's the coach holding back his progress.

Let's ignore the fact that there are a lot of younger players than him contributing to their teams. Ignore that he's not actually a beast, and is invisible on most nights. Ignore that despite his size he loses most puck battles. Ignore that he can't play in his own zone and turns the puck over consistently. And most importantly ignore the fact that by the time (if ever) Kassian turns into a good player, this team will be too old to do anything.

I have nothing against Kassian, nobody hopes he proves me wrong more than me. But I do have a problem with delusional fans, you're giving the rest of us a bad name.

The main problem with Kassian is his effort level. We've all seen glimpses of his outstanding vision and talent. But too often you'll find him floating, hoping the puck will come to him instead of engaging in the play and making himself useful. You can't teach effort, the drive has to come from within him. Let's just hope he can find his second gear in the playoffs.

The main problem with Kassian is his effort level. We've all seen glimpses of his outstanding vision and talent. But too often you'll find him floating, hoping the puck will come to him instead of engaging in the play and making himself useful. You can't teach effort, the drive has to come from within him. Let's just hope he can find his second gear in the playoffs.

Gee, that was hurtful. I may never post on the internet ever again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0HTV7WkQk

Fun fact: Hodgson dropped from being a +9 player in 71 games with Vancouver to a -3 with Buffalo in only 65 games (over this year and last). This means Hodgson has been -12 since the trade.

Kassian has been -8 (52 games).

Or, to look at it another way, this season Hodgson has been on the ice for 37 goals scored against Buffalo (about 27% of the goals scored against them), while Kassian has been on the ice for 20 of the goals scored against the Canucks (about 15%).

I'm sure that this can (and will) be explained away as Buffalo being a poorer defensive team than the Canucks

Anyhoo, I get why you are laughing maniacally. If you want to assume that Hodgson will get over 700 points over his career, we can also assume that he may well be over -150 for his career. YIKES!!!

regards,

G.

I've honestly never seen so many excuses for any professional athlete before. Have you clowns forgotten that this is a Stanley Cup or bust team?

Everyone acting like Kassian is some beast out there and it's the coach holding back his progress.

Let's ignore the fact that there are a lot of younger players than him contributing to their teams. Ignore that he's not actually a beast, and is invisible on most nights. Ignore that despite his size he loses most puck battles. Ignore that he can't play in his own zone and turns the puck over consistently. And most importantly ignore the fact that by the time (if ever) Kassian turns into a good player, this team will be too old to do anything.

I have nothing against Kassian, nobody hopes he proves me wrong more than me. But I do have a problem with delusional fans, you're giving the rest of us a bad name.

For the record, I don't like Cody. I don't want Kassian (or any canuck) to fail. But lets at least agree to facts that Hodgson this year is a better goal scorer than ANYONE on our team and Kassian is playing AHL level hockey.

I never blame Kassian for not being NHL ready. I'm simply arguing with the fans that say he's a good player or that defend that trade. I've always said I hope Kassian proves me wrong.

Let's say you have a power forward with good size, skill, plays physical, and is willing to fight. Would you trade him straight across for a forward of equal skill who doesn't have the size, doesn't play physical and stays away from the rough stuff? I'll go out on a limb and say you wouldn't make that trade.

This is the stupidity of comparing Cody's skill level (or points) to Kassian. We gave up skill in a redundant position for the addition of other attributes (with potential) to fill a need that was lacking. It doesn't matter what points Cody puts up. There wasn't a role suited to him with Kesler and Henrik ahead of him here. Nor was he ever going to fill the role Kassian is expected to fill. Different roles, different expectations.

great post

I agree that at the moment, Kassian is somewhat useless. I also remember the same things being said about the Sedins in the early carreers.... just food for thought.

When this trade was made, I didnt expect to see what we had in Kassian for 2-3 years and my expectations havent changed. I still think theres alot of potential with this kid.

Unfortunatley the Canucks are in win now mode and he's just not looking ready to make a consistent contribution to the team. Its just too bad that GMMG didnt realize this untill recently and his bid to pick up a veteran replacement in Clowe and Torres fell short.

Things might change in the postseason... But my bet is that he falls short, and is demoted to playing few minutes, or possibly scratched all together.

I dont blame Vineault... Hes in charge of doing whatever he needs to do to help this team win now... Playing a un-seasoned youngster whom doesnt look like he's getting rid of the youngster mistakes any time soon is not the best coarse of action if you want to win.

All this being said, Id really like to see Schroeder again. He's playing extremely well in Chicago right now... easily the best he's been since turning pro.

Archived