The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

I would disagree. I have seen a lot of mistakes by Hodgson (from this season) which have directly led to very good scoring chances, if not a goal. Look at the videos on the Sabres site. You'll see a lot of very un-even defensive play by Hodgson.

Right now Hodgson is supposed to be the better offensive player, and he will very likely score more points than Kassian over his career. If anyone believes that people who support the trade for Kassian are un-aware of this, then they are not thinking things through.

The Canucks traded away an asset that was less valuable to them now, for an asset which will be more valuable to them in the near future. (ASSUME ALL THE USUAL DANCES OF PRO/CON ARGUMENTS IN THIS SPACE).

The thing of it is, Hodgson should also be "better" at his defensive game than Kassian. He is older. He was drafted higher. He came from a very strong defense system. Kassian is a player type which is supposed to develop slower (the power forwards take more time concept). All of these things are in Hodgson's favour, and yet he sucks in the defensive game compared to Kassian.

regards,

G.

Im growing more and more frustrated with him. Whether or not he is scoring at the very least i expected him to be physical out there but too many games he's been a no show. The biggest disappointment for me was the St. Louis game. Playoff type game and Kassian was nowhere to be seen. If that's how he's gonna play he may as well be sitting in the press box.

I'm not only using statistics, I've also watched every game and seen him be a liability on most nights. I'm sorry to have brought in something factual like stats into this debate.

Let me take this down to your level. Kassian is a double threat, no offense and no defense.

Love the Zack.

Some very good backchecking tonight - notable actually. His underlying numbers indicate a responsible young player.

Another game where he played smart, mistake free hockey.

A couple nice passes - one sweet setup where he stopped up on the halfboards and found the trailer wide open for a point shot - has shown his good vision repeatedly this season.

Very rarely does something that hurts his team.

Complainers gonna complain, but what you're seeing is a hell of a young hockey player in the making.

A rookie folks. Try a little perspective on for size.

For the record, I don't like Cody. I don't want Kassian (or any canuck) to fail. But lets at least agree to facts that Hodgson this year is a better goal scorer than ANYONE on our team and Kassian is playing AHL level hockey.

I never blame Kassian for not being NHL ready. I'm simply arguing with the fans that say he's a good player or that defend that trade. I've always said I hope Kassian proves me wrong.

I really think he's taking all there is to learn in and in and in.

He has this lack of intensity because he is just processing so many things at once to understand the professional level of the game.

He seems like he's trying to figure out how to play smarter not harder, once he isn't making stupid mistakes you'll see the effort more.

How do you have energy and intensity when your 2nd guessing every decision on the ice.

Gee, that was hurtful. I may never post on the internet ever again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0HTV7WkQk

Fun fact: Hodgson dropped from being a +9 player in 71 games with Vancouver to a -3 with Buffalo in only 65 games (over this year and last). This means Hodgson has been -12 since the trade.

Kassian has been -8 (52 games).

Or, to look at it another way, this season Hodgson has been on the ice for 37 goals scored against Buffalo (about 27% of the goals scored against them), while Kassian has been on the ice for 20 of the goals scored against the Canucks (about 15%).

I'm sure that this can (and will) be explained away as Buffalo being a poorer defensive team than the Canucks

Anyhoo, I get why you are laughing maniacally. If you want to assume that Hodgson will get over 700 points over his career, we can also assume that he may well be over -150 for his career. YIKES!!!

regards,

G.

Archived