The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

Let's go with your prediction and say Hodgson is on track for -150 for his career. Possible, but he'll have over 700 points.

By Kassian's rate, he'll have around 100 points in his entire career and be around -50.

Yeah...I think any intelligent person knows who to choose. Hodgson is already well on his way to developing into a great player. Kassian is light years behind him. If Kassian does develop into a useful player, by that time the Sedins may already be gone and we'll be in a slight rebuild phase whereas Hodgson could have helped us throughout the years, particularly in the regular season.

I kind of have to laugh at those that are always complaining about the timing of the trade. It's like children wanting instant gratification and can't wait until after dinner for ice cream. Cody wanted a trade, he got traded for another player. I'm sure Gillis was thinking more about he future than going all in at that time, just like he's not hell bent on winning this year either. He has the responsiblity to keep this business moving forward year after year. People think you can just decide to win a cup, or not. :)

He tells all the kids that the trade was made to make us better at the time last year. Well that's just a bold faced lie that anyone with a bit of life experience can see. But everyone treats it as gospel and cries about it every time this subject comes up. Cry me a river. I agree eventually he may have to go all in but the shortsightness of some of the people here is stunning.

Hodgson was always the better player. Its never even been a question anywhere but in post-trade Vancouver. The ONLY reason that CoHo is not still on this team is that he was either complaining too much about ice time or more likely he was flat out asking for a trade. The motivation for trading him had absolutely nothing to do with Kassian. Kass was just the best thing that Gillis could pry away from a rival GM after it had become clear that Hodgon's relationship with the Canucks was not going to be salvaged.

I saw a few good, clean hits tonight against Detroit and none of them were by Kassian, our supposed physical presence.

Pinozotto has one

Edler had a great one on Franzen I believe!

Weise had one (on Datsyuk)

Kesler had one (on Datsyuk again)

That's what you have to do to good players like Datsyuk, unless you're more skilled than him and basically nobody on the Canucks is.

All I saw Kassian do was get poke-checked at the Detroit line...Sigh. Pathetic. Doesn't even try to throw a hit. Oh and he was on the second line tonight, 13:19 TOI and did nothing. So what's his excuse this game? He was playing with Kes and MayRay....

Kass floated tonite...getting used to see him get a free pass...Raymond not quite on his game but oddly enough is stronger on the puck than Kass..I'm sure we have young guys to let have a shot to contribute other than Kassian.Ebbett made up for his lack of size tonite with hussle,whether he can keep that up will remain to be seen...the 4th line was effective at times providing much needed energy.

I saw a few good, clean hits tonight against Detroit and none of them were by Kassian, our supposed physical presence.

Pinozotto has one

Edler had a great one on Franzen I believe!

Weise had one (on Datsyuk)

Kesler had one (on Datsyuk again)

That's what you have to do to good players like Datsyuk, unless you're more skilled than him and basically nobody on the Canucks is.

All I saw Kassian do was get poke-checked at the Detroit line...Sigh. Pathetic. Doesn't even try to throw a hit. Oh and he was on the second line tonight, 13:19 TOI and did nothing. So what's his excuse this game? He was playing with Kes and MayRay....

Let's go with your prediction and say Hodgson is on track for -150 for his career. Possible, but he'll have over 700 points.

By Kassian's rate, he'll have around 100 points in his entire career and be around -50.

Yeah...I think any intelligent person knows who to choose. Hodgson is already well on his way to developing into a great player. Kassian is light years behind him. If Kassian does develop into a useful player, by that time the Sedins may already be gone and we'll be in a slight rebuild phase whereas Hodgson could have helped us throughout the years, particularly in the regular season.

Sedin sisters are not 1st line players. Kesler is a 3rd line center at best. Burrows "do we really want him". Raymond sucks, Booth sucks, Luongo sucks, Edler sucks, trade Bieksa.

Now excuse me while I kick my dog and tell my kids they will never amount to anything!!

The sad thing of it is (for Hodgson fans), is that Hodgson likely isn't going to get much better. This looks to be his ceiling. He will be a center who will get (on average) 40 - 50 points a season, but is a defensive liability, has variable success at faceoffs and has no substantial physical aspect to his game. Because of these liabilities, he will be a regular top-6 center only on teams which finish towards the bottom half of the League. This is something which you either do not understand, or to which you are turning a blind eye: points aren't everything.

(Insert "Last I checked you need goals to win a game" comment here. This is true, but if they score 3 for every 2 you score, how many games are you likely to win?)

I suspect that Hodgson will never be sought after as a top-6 center on one of the better teams in the NHL who are making a Cup run (unless they've had injury issues and he's a rental). This does not mean he won't be on a Cup team at some point in his career, but it does mean that I don't see him being the guy who can a team over the top.

On the other hand, Kassian is still developing. He looks like he still hasn't reached his ceiling (and yes, he might not ever get there), and he continues to take more steps forward than he does step back. Basing Kassian's future scoring ability on his current season's stats doesn't make a lot of sense, both because of him being a year younger in development than Hodgson and due to the differences in their positions and styles of play.

Kassian plays the game like Hodgson can't, and has been noted by others, he looks like he will be the type of guy which the team needs more than they did Hodgson.

You are correct, any intelligent person would know who to choose, and for the Canucks they went with the player who can do the "most" for this team over his career: Kassian.

regards,

G.

Archived