The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

This is all conjecture and blah blah blah, but Cody Hodgson is the kind of player who disappears during the playoffs. He's a heady player with some skill who can pad on decent point in the regular season, but he's not hard nosed enough to make a difference in the playoffs. His toughness threshold is roughly zero, and he's a little guy who isn't very fast. The Canucks shouldn't need more than a bit of secondary scoring from Zack Kassian. With a healthy lineup, they have plenty of scoring. They need a guy who plays with an edge who can chip in once in a while offensively. Say what you will about Zack Kassian, he most certainly fits this shoe better than Hodgson even did. Don't just look at a bunch of regular season stats and say 'x' player is better than 'y', there are plenty of intangibles that you're not accounting for.

Really? So if Kassian is such a good skater with good hands and puck decision skills. Why can't he contribute to offense and is terrible defensively?

Oh wait.. wait.. I know, it's AV's fault right? AV is stopping Kass from putting pucks on net and told him not to play defense.

They need a guy who plays with an edge who can chip in once in a while offensively. Say what you will about Zack Kassian, he most certainly fits this shoe better than Hodgson even did. Don't just look at a bunch of regular season stats and say 'x' player is better than 'y', there are plenty of intangibles that you're not accounting for.

Hodgson has disappeared for the last month, spending time on the 4th line because he can't play defense worth sh*t. The most frustrating thing, is I have him in my pool and he consistently has -3 nights. He's not a player that would have ever worked out well here. He would have to be spotted in offensive situations, and as a 3rd line C that's not something we can afford.

Buffalo's plight could largely be attributed to their '1st line centre' being absolute crap down the stretch.

Really? So if Kassian is such a good skater with good hands and puck decision skills. Why can't he contribute to offense and is terrible defensively?

Oh wait.. wait.. I know, it's AV's fault right? AV is stopping Kass from putting pucks on net and told him not to play defense.

It's okay to like Cody and not want Kassian to fail. Give it a try.

They are both different types of players but you are making it out like we traded Sakic for Eager. They'll both be fine when the dust settles and if not, take it out on Gillis and not a rookie that has yet to play a full season.

Remember Cody the great was a bust along with the Sedins not so long ago. We'll revisit this at a later time.

I think most people are saying that he has the potential to be an effective player, and not to be so quick to decry the trade at this moment. Hodgson wasn't going to play here anyways and had to go, so who else should they have tried to acquire for what really is an overhyped, under achieving player?

I never said he didn't have potential to be better, I said he isn't better.

All that equals up to...

Kassian 9 points -7

Ebbet 6 points even

Weise 6 points -5

If Kassian was better than them he'd have better numbers than them since he's been given more ice time. The only thing he's done with that time is be on for more goals against.

what this guy said!!! our GM looked into the camera with a straight face at trade deadline day last year and said Zack is a guy we need in our lineup today and can step in and help us out and be a difference maker right away..... fast forward a year he still isnt the player gillis said he was. brendan gallagher is 20 years old and 5'9" and he plays like a PF he goes hard to the net takes a beating goes hard in the corners with anybody in the league and wins battles and is a huge contributer to the canadians so if he can play like that whats wrong with kassian??? sure he might take time to develope points wise, but all these PFs people are mentioning and forgetting when they were not scoring guys like bertuzzi, clowe, lucic were a huge physicle presences on the ice and kassian is invisable and make no difference in the game . he just doesnt put out much effort ... watch the highlight of him caughing that puck up on the 2 on 1 in dallas he is in the camera shot the whole back check hes just gliding no effort at all.

Archived