269 replies to this topic

#31 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

True it takes some players longer than others to develop..

But you can't blame CDC for the cynicism when he seems to be declining in play since the start of the season.

Just like his quality ice-time and quality linemates declined as well.

#32 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Ebbett is even worse. together with Mason that line just sucks.
Way to juggle line AV. It doesn't work against quality teams duh! Only in their own weak division.

Wake up AV you need a third line center.........
And anyone is better than Ebbet.

#33 snapshot19

snapshot19

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Has looked lost out there on more than one occasion this season. Hasn't warranted any solid play to put him on the top line and for anyone who feels he should be put there really doesn't understand how AV operates. If Kassian can't make an impact on any other line not having the Sedins on it can we just all admit he isn't ready yet for a top 6 role. I will never say he will never be ready for a top 6 role he is just not there this season.

-2 with just over 9 mins of play yesterday against the stars.

Kassian in give or take 2 to 3 years.

http://i.imgur.com/9i4BCnY.jpg

Edited by snapshot19, 19 April 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#34 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Or maybe you can shut up and learn some patience. Kassian is still young and needs to develop more. Why the hell is this so hard for people to understand? Also, Kassian and Hodgson are different types of players.

Or maybe you can shut up and learn some patience. Kassian is still young and needs to develop more. Why the hell is this so hard for people to understand? Also, Kassian and Hodgson are different types of players.

Than put him back on the wolves so he can develop some people young young well what about stamkos what about crosby ...Kassian cant be the only tough guy on the team... we are playing to many small guys.

#35 cbones13

cbones13

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

A historic terrifying situation is currently happening in Boston and you post to troll people.

You are a terrible person, give your head a shake and go do something good for this world.

WHAT!? who gives a frack about Boston this is a Canuck forum, we don't give two craps about the team that ripped our hearts out or its city. I don't mean to sound too insensitive, yeah anytime someone is killed it's a tragedy and I feel for them and the family but I could care less about the city, they're Canuck haters. Are we suppose to stop and cry for Boston and let it get in the way of our day to day activities? What does it even have to do with anything. I do disagree with the OP; I love Kassian. Although I would like to see him develop a little quicker, I hope he does. Try not being so harsh with our team and stop kissing Boston's ass... where are your loyalties at?

#36 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Ebbett is even worse. together with Mason that line just sucks.
Way to juggle line AV. It doesn't work against quality teams duh! Only in their own weak division.

Wake up AV you need a third line center.........
And anyone is better than Ebbet.

Actually Mason, hansen and schroeder went to the second line and all played well I believe why Mason, hansen are not playing well now is because they are not on the second line they gave way to supposedly better players Kessler, roy ect

We have played our best games when we used players and tough guy mix..with out roy, kessler aslong as you over value players your probably wont wint he stanley cup....play the tough guys on every line you will see we will win more games than not..

#37 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

I think the problem is the energy level he plays (or lack of) with. I still can't understand how a rookie has the balls to go out there and not put a full effort on the table. That being said the few shifts he has tried he has looked good. I'd say he's about 60% chance of being a flop because you can't succeed if you don't try.

Edit: I would consider trading him if the return is good because he's not a lock and the reason he isn't is I'm not sure something you can teach. Not sure he's worth the risk even with the great upside. He's also dumb as a doorstop.

Edited by Nino, 19 April 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#38 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I hang this on Gillis.

His statements about Kass raised the expectations of everyone. Throw in the fact that he was traded for our star-in-the-making Cody, whom we had been following from the time he'd been drafted and watched develop before our eyes, then add to this AV's inability to put him in the right situation for success and you get what we're seeing now.

Gillis should have just been straight up and said this is a futures deal and sent him to the minors immediately.

I just hope we don't ruin him for good.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#39 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

We could have gotten Kassian without trading Hodgson. like.........

To Buffalo: Samuelsson and 1st/2nd

To Canucks: Kassian.

Lineup#1

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Hodgson-Kesler
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Kassian
Pinizotto

Edler-Garisson
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts

Schneids
Lu

If a center goes down Kesler can go to the middle.

If we really had to trade Hodgson we should have packaged him with Lu or Schneids. Imagine the return of Schneider AND
Hodgson........Taveres+

Would you rather have the lineup above, or the current Lineup?

Lineup#2

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Roy-Kassian
Pinizotto-Lapierre-Weise

Edler-Garisson
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Schneids
Lu.

Everybody says we shouldn't have trading Hodgson for Kassian. Then People say we needed toughness. We could have gotten Kassian WITHOUT giving up Hodgson.

Gillis made a big mistake but he should not be fired.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#40 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

This is exactly what bugs me. Every time Gillis is forced into a situation he lets AV down.
Kassian may or may not turn out to be a top player but he was lightyears from it when we acquired him and yet I still remember Gillis spinning all kinds of crap about him and what he brought to us......now.

Then we had Volpatti. He was caught out and rather than take the hit and wait for something good he shat himself again and we are landed with that useless half-goon, half skater.

Then comes Roy. ( a fine centre.......for a team like Boston) According to Gillis we had the mother and father of all scrambles by teams who couldn't wait to get Lu (and why was it not Lu OR Schneider, another tactical f-ck up it seems to me) and yet they all evaporated and we were left with a "talented midget" to augment a set of forwards already having to rely on a 22 year old novice for pushback.

The guy is the pits when it comes to getting the goal in focus and then getting the job done.

Thanks for the lols you two. Morning after a loss and I could use the pick me up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#41 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I think the problem is the energy level he plays (or lack of) with. I still can't understand how a rookie has the balls to go out there and not put a full effort on the table. That being said the few shifts he has tried he has looked good. I'd say he's about 60% chance of being a flop because you can't succeed if you don't try.

Edit: I would consider trading him if the return is good because he's not a lock and the reason he isn't is I'm not sure something you can teach. Not sure he's worth the risk even with the great upside. He's also dumb as a doorstop.

Is he dumb or is the guy that coatches him? any time he gets an a..hair of chemistry with any linemate he gets sat. Plays lights out with the twins and gets moved gets something going with Kesler and gets moved on to a line where he has to do all the board work while his mates Raymond and Ebbet float. The guy even farts on the ice he is pulled by AV for being too physical. Pretty hard to play to his potential when he has to grow a third eye for watching his coatches reaction on every play.

#42 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't believe Kassian is a bad player.He has shown he has pretty good hands and he can get to the dirty areas to make a difference.

He is young and sometimes he lacks self motivation and focus and that is an historical trait he has been labelled with.

The disappointment was created when Gillis sold Kassian as being playoff ready last year (as Bodee pointed out) when he made the trade despite the fact that this team needed to immediately upgrade and the addition of Kassian was a regression for the team.

Then when the leader of the organisation was under so much scrutiny he thought it best to defend his decisions by throwing Cody completely under the team bus.

That is where the failure lies and outrage will continue until Kassian outperforms,not with a young man that is doing the best he can.

#43 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

How is trading Hodgson for Kassian a futures move Gillis? :picard: :picard: :picard: :sadno:

There are only 1-2 years apart :picard: :sadno:
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#44 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Is he dumb or is the guy that coatches him? any time he gets an a..hair of chemistry with any linemate he gets sat. Plays lights out with the twins and gets moved gets something going with Kesler and gets moved on to a line where he has to do all the board work while his mates Raymond and Ebbet float. The guy even farts on the ice he is pulled by AV for being too physical. Pretty hard to play to his potential when he has to grow a third eye for watching his coatches reaction on every play.

Ok I don't agree with most of AV's lines but he never played lights out with the twins. He wouldn't go to the boards and the twins production was way down with him playing with them. Everyone was wondering what was wrong with the twins and there + - was way down. Most of the goals he scored with the twins was on the PP as well with him in front of the net waiting (like he always is) for someone to pass to him.

#45 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

I hang this on Gillis.

His statements about Kass raised the expectations of everyone. Throw in the fact that he was traded for our star-in-the-making Cody, whom we had been following from the time he'd been drafted and watched develop before our eyes, then add to this AV's inability to put him in the right situation for success and you get what we're seeing now.

Gillis should have just been straight up and said this is a futures deal and sent him to the minors immediately.

I just hope we don't ruin him for good.

Agreed but I think the Canucks scouting on him was off and that's why MG said the things he said or even made the trade for that matter.

#46 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Do you realize that other than our 4th line guys we have no toughness on our team? MG acquired Kassian because he gives our top 6/9 toughness for plenty of years to come. If people think we have issues with playing bigger teams like St.Louis we NEED a guy like Kassian to stand up and play physical hockey so we don't get beaten to death by the bigger, tougher teams in this league. Plus, he was producing well with the Sedins early in the year, and ultimately he belongs on that line.

Its hard to get skilled players like Hodgson, especially with his high level decision making off ice determination. Kassian essentially 'started trying' once he got to Vancouver - starting with his presumably his first "professional level" off season training. Hodgson never needed to be pressed to do everything he could, from what he ate to how he worked out to how hard he practiced - it came from within.

At the end of the day, Hodgson was more of a self starter, and thats probably why he's better than Kassian in their young careers. Kassian has gotten by with obvious talent and by being physically larger than everyone he played with. Now in the NHL, the size difference isn't as dramatic.

Its much easier/cheaper to sign or trade for a skilled physical third liner like Torres, Prust, Boyle rather than a skilled player like Hodgson. Also, usually having more experienced players are 'better' on the top checking unit because they wont give up as much defensively.

Instead, we ended up with a BIG gamble in exchange for a proven blue chip skilled asset. Barring future injuries, it would be less likely that Hodgson ends up with under 55 points/season than more. Kassian right now still needs a few years of seasoning... Ironically, about as much time as we have a for sure core playing at their peak. Hopefully Kassian can speed that up and learn as much as he can as fast as he can - the talent is there.

At the end of the day, Hodgson didn't want to be there. So for that reason it was best to move him. At the deadline for a less-sure-thing prospect was probably not the best idea... maybe waiting for the draft and having more time to assess, while having a player who could actually play immediately while trying to make a cup run, probably would have netted us a higher return and been more beneficial that playoff run.

Still, when all's said and done, Kassian is still a TOP prospect and given the type of player he was and the type of player he is expected to be, it is understandable that he is a few years away from being legitimately effective. As awesome as he is to have, it probably would have been better to get something that helps us immediately.

The one thing that this helps us with FOR SURE is this year's cap crunch - it will be interesting to see what kind of salary Hodgson will command. With Kassian, we get an extra year of ELC + he will most likely be cheaper given his current production.

Edited by gushybear, 19 April 2013 - 08:02 AM.

July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#47 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

In other news Milan Lucic is a healthy scratch in the Bruins latest game....

Edited by playboi19, 19 April 2013 - 08:10 AM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#48 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

In other news Milan Lucic is a scratch in the Bruins latest game....

Yeah noticed that yesterday. Obviously Julien believes Looch needs a good kick in the ass and that he'll play pissed off going into the playoffs

Love that Claude Julien has the balls to do this. Many other coaches would not.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#49 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Ok I don't agree with most of AV's lines but he never played lights out with the twins. He wouldn't go to the boards and the twins production was way down with him playing with them. Everyone was wondering what was wrong with the twins and there + - was way down. Most of the goals he scored with the twins was on the PP as well with him in front of the net waiting (like he always is) for someone to pass to him.

Lol so he is not supposed to go in front of the net on a pp with a big body? what's he supposed to do play the point? He scores goals with the twins and you blame him for their +/-

#50 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yeah noticed that yesterday. Obviously Julien believes Looch needs a good kick in the ass and that he'll play pissed off going into the playoffs

Love that Claude Julien has the balls to do this. Many other coaches would not.

Imagine if AV scratched one of our stars for poor effort and lazy play. 30 threads and a couple petitions to get him fired.

Hilarious double standard.

Subbancopy.jpg

#51 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,336 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Imagine if AV scratched one of our stars for poor effort and lazy play. 30 threads and a couple petitions to get him fired.

Hilarious double standard.

I was half expecting Edler to be benched early in the season when his play was poor.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#52 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Even though he hit the post, at least Kassian generated a chance, what did anyone else do (other than Roy)? I suppose if we still had Cody he would have buried at least 3 to tie it up in the third....

The whole team played like crap, starting from the net out.

Edited by InTheCrease, 19 April 2013 - 08:27 AM.

I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#53 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,199 posts

And... HE'S BALD!!!
Posted Image

#54 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Kassian is only 22. It will be another 4-5yrs before he develops into a NHL power forward. Look at how long Bertuzzi took to be a power forward back in the WCE days. Lucic is the exception, not the norm. But even he has regressed this year. Kassian will become either Bertuzzi 2.0 or Bernier 2.0. Only time will tell. The benefits of Kassian will be seen in the future not now. But that will do nothing to help in the small window of the Sedins still being 1st liners.

#55 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

We have enough threads about how the Cody freaking Hodgson trade sucked.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#56 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Wow Hodgson is at the same numbers he was at for a while. He has slowed down.

IMO Hodgson > Kassian, but when situations happen like Hodgson, you have to trade him.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#57 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Do you realize that other than our 4th line guys we have no toughness on our team? MG acquired Kassian because he gives our top 6/9 toughness for plenty of years to come. If people think we have issues with playing bigger teams like St.Louis we NEED a guy like Kassian to stand up and play physical hockey so we don't get beaten to death by the bigger, tougher teams in this league. Plus, he was producing well with the Sedins early in the year, and ultimately he belongs on that line.

anson carter was a straight up sniper with the sedins... where is he now???

i don't think kass is awful, but at least i can admit i am dissapointed with what he has brought this season - after a great start he pulled a dissapearing act and as a result is bouncing between 3rd and 4th line shifts... and i hate to say it, but the only thing he stood out for last night (besides a couple hits) was losing the puck everytime he tried to protect it and drive the net. poke checked every time.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#58 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,770 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

To steal a quote that makes me laugh when I see it.

Congratulations, your I don't anything about hockey certificate should arrive in the mail within 2-4 weeks.

It might be a cliche but it's true, power forward type players take longer to develop. Also, Kassian has only played 57% of the games that Cody has in their career. In NHL hockey years Cody is a year older and a year ahead in development. Also, Kassian has a lot of skills he's just young and stupid. I'm tempted to make a comparison but I doubt people call you out because you drool at school.

What a stupid thread.

Oh did I mention, you know nothing about hockey.

You choose to bring a tragedy like that into a sporting forum as a put down.........you classless clown!

I agree, what a loser.

Edited by Dogbyte, 19 April 2013 - 09:00 AM.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#59 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

And... HE'S BALD!!!

David is that you?

1zchaix.jpg

#60 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

I don't agree with this and if you look back at my posting around the time of the Kass-CoHo trade, I hated everything about it and at the time thought MG should be fired over this one decision.

I maintain that I feel he should have gotten more in return in terms of a draft pick or something - I still think we were trading a more refined player for raw talent and still feel he could have fanangled at least a 2nd out of the deal.

However I do see what Kass brings, at least flashes of what he brings. Cody is able to mask a lot of his deficencies with his obviously high hockey IQ, Kassian has kinistetic qualities you can't teach, but must take the time to refine.

Kassian will in all likelyhood be a great player, we just have to be patient, hopefully he shows his true value in the playoffs. We shouldn't be so quick to hang the guy for his shortcomings as they will improve and when it does this thread will turn into another Burrows do we really need him thread.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.