The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

I think the problem is the energy level he plays (or lack of) with. I still can't understand how a rookie has the balls to go out there and not put a full effort on the table. That being said the few shifts he has tried he has looked good. I'd say he's about 60% chance of being a flop because you can't succeed if you don't try.

Edit: I would consider trading him if the return is good because he's not a lock and the reason he isn't is I'm not sure something you can teach. Not sure he's worth the risk even with the great upside. He's also dumb as a doorstop.

I don't believe Kassian is a bad player.He has shown he has pretty good hands and he can get to the dirty areas to make a difference.

He is young and sometimes he lacks self motivation and focus and that is an historical trait he has been labelled with.

The disappointment was created when Gillis sold Kassian as being playoff ready last year (as Bodee pointed out) when he made the trade despite the fact that this team needed to immediately upgrade and the addition of Kassian was a regression for the team.

Then when the leader of the organisation was under so much scrutiny he thought it best to defend his decisions by throwing Cody completely under the team bus.

That is where the failure lies and outrage will continue until Kassian outperforms,not with a young man that is doing the best he can.

Is he dumb or is the guy that coatches him? any time he gets an a..hair of chemistry with any linemate he gets sat. Plays lights out with the twins and gets moved gets something going with Kesler and gets moved on to a line where he has to do all the board work while his mates Raymond and Ebbet float. The guy even farts on the ice he is pulled by AV for being too physical. Pretty hard to play to his potential when he has to grow a third eye for watching his coatches reaction on every play.

I hang this on Gillis.

His statements about Kass raised the expectations of everyone. Throw in the fact that he was traded for our star-in-the-making Cody, whom we had been following from the time he'd been drafted and watched develop before our eyes, then add to this AV's inability to put him in the right situation for success and you get what we're seeing now.

Gillis should have just been straight up and said this is a futures deal and sent him to the minors immediately.

I just hope we don't ruin him for good.

Do you realize that other than our 4th line guys we have no toughness on our team? MG acquired Kassian because he gives our top 6/9 toughness for plenty of years to come. If people think we have issues with playing bigger teams like St.Louis we NEED a guy like Kassian to stand up and play physical hockey so we don't get beaten to death by the bigger, tougher teams in this league. Plus, he was producing well with the Sedins early in the year, and ultimately he belongs on that line.

Ok I don't agree with most of AV's lines but he never played lights out with the twins. He wouldn't go to the boards and the twins production was way down with him playing with them. Everyone was wondering what was wrong with the twins and there + - was way down. Most of the goals he scored with the twins was on the PP as well with him in front of the net waiting (like he always is) for someone to pass to him.

Even though he hit the post, at least Kassian generated a chance, what did anyone else do (other than Roy)? I suppose if we still had Cody he would have buried at least 3 to tie it up in the third....

The whole team played like crap, starting from the net out.

Kassian is only 22. It will be another 4-5yrs before he develops into a NHL power forward. Look at how long Bertuzzi took to be a power forward back in the WCE days. Lucic is the exception, not the norm. But even he has regressed this year. Kassian will become either Bertuzzi 2.0 or Bernier 2.0. Only time will tell. The benefits of Kassian will be seen in the future not now. But that will do nothing to help in the small window of the Sedins still being 1st liners.

Do you realize that other than our 4th line guys we have no toughness on our team? MG acquired Kassian because he gives our top 6/9 toughness for plenty of years to come. If people think we have issues with playing bigger teams like St.Louis we NEED a guy like Kassian to stand up and play physical hockey so we don't get beaten to death by the bigger, tougher teams in this league. Plus, he was producing well with the Sedins early in the year, and ultimately he belongs on that line.

To steal a quote that makes me laugh when I see it.

Congratulations, your I don't anything about hockey certificate should arrive in the mail within 2-4 weeks.

It might be a cliche but it's true, power forward type players take longer to develop. Also, Kassian has only played 57% of the games that Cody has in their career. In NHL hockey years Cody is a year older and a year ahead in development. Also, Kassian has a lot of skills he's just young and stupid. I'm tempted to make a comparison but I doubt people call you out because you drool at school.

What a stupid thread.

Oh did I mention, you know nothing about hockey.

You choose to bring a tragedy like that into a sporting forum as a put down.........you classless clown!

I don't agree with this and if you look back at my posting around the time of the Kass-CoHo trade, I hated everything about it and at the time thought MG should be fired over this one decision.

I maintain that I feel he should have gotten more in return in terms of a draft pick or something - I still think we were trading a more refined player for raw talent and still feel he could have fanangled at least a 2nd out of the deal.

However I do see what Kass brings, at least flashes of what he brings. Cody is able to mask a lot of his deficencies with his obviously high hockey IQ, Kassian has kinistetic qualities you can't teach, but must take the time to refine.

Kassian will in all likelyhood be a great player, we just have to be patient, hopefully he shows his true value in the playoffs. We shouldn't be so quick to hang the guy for his shortcomings as they will improve and when it does this thread will turn into another Burrows do we really need him thread.

Archived