269 replies to this topic

#61 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

Oh look, it's a Cody fanboy.

Your argument that he made the perfect 3rd line centre is false. He would have been ideal but he essentially chose not to stay. Why are you a fan of a quitter?

To call Kassian awful at this stage of his career is ridiculous. Just like the morons on CDC that labelled Hodgson a bust and those that keep stating " AV can't develop young players". Go up to your room and polish your Hodgson McFarlane figure.
Posted Image

#62 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

I hang this on Gillis.

His statements about Kass raised the expectations of everyone. Throw in the fact that he was traded for our star-in-the-making Cody, whom we had been following from the time he'd been drafted and watched develop before our eyes, then add to this AV's inability to put him in the right situation for success and you get what we're seeing now.

Gillis should have just been straight up and said this is a futures deal and sent him to the minors immediately.

I just hope we don't ruin him for good.

Or you shouldn't read too much into what a lawyer tells you when questioned on the front steps of the courthouse.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#63 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ya'll be postin' in a troll thread.

#64 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Even though he hit the post, at least Kassian generated a chance, what did anyone else do (other than Roy)? I suppose if we still had Cody he would have buried at least 3 to tie it up in the third....

The whole team played like crap, starting from the net out.

If he had scored on that attempt, this topic wouldn't even exist. Too bad so many Nuck fans don't mind s******g on the youngest player on the team.

#65 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,460 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Ya'll be postin' in a troll thread.

... all the live long day.

/ First thing that came to my mind.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#66 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Oh look, it's a Cody fanboy.
Your argument that he made the perfect 3rd line centre is false. He would have been ideal but he essentially chose not to stay. Why are you a fan of a quitter?

Oh look ,it is a Gillis blabber brain supporter stuttering nonsense.
Retaining a multi million dollar per annum position, defective with a personality and attitude that should not front a massive public corporation,and should never lend itself to undermining your employees,especially young employees that were already mishandled and shown disrespect are the real issues.
Gillis could have developed Cody as Cody had zero decisional rights as a rookie,but instead decided to throw him to shed himself of the bungled record of his staff and disrespect shown him within the organisation while and after Cody was an active Canuck prospect and player.
This whole fiasco was a disgrace and there is only one man that holds the responsibility for it all.

Edited by nuck nit, 19 April 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#67 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

I kind of have to laugh at those that are always complaining about the timing of the trade. It's like children wanting instant gratification and can't wait until after dinner for ice cream. Cody wanted a trade, he got traded for another player. I'm sure Gillis was thinking more about he future than going all in at that time, just like he's not hell bent on winning this year either. He has the responsiblity to keep this business moving forward year after year. People think you can just decide to win a cup, or not. :)

He tells all the kids that the trade was made to make us better at the time last year. Well that's just a bold faced lie that anyone with a bit of life experience can see. But everyone treats it as gospel and cries about it every time this subject comes up. Cry me a river. I agree eventually he may have to go all in but the shortsightness of some of the people here is stunning.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#68 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

He needs time. That's it. He's gonna be a beaut

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#69 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

Arguably our best forward last night on a line of inaffectual smurfs.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#70 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Oh look ,it is a Gillis blabber brain supporter stuttering nonsense.
Retaining a multi million dollar per annum position, defective with a personality and attitude that should not front a massive public corporation,and should never lend itself to undermining your employees,especially young employees that were already mishandled and shown disrespect are the real issues.
Gillis could have developed Cody as Cody had zero decisional rights as a rookie,but instead decided to throw him to shed himself of the bungled record of his staff and disrespect shown him within the organisation.
This whole fiasco was a disgrace and there is only one man that holds the responsibility for it all.

Oh look, it's nuck nit with another "fire Gillis" comment. Face it, we don't agree on this. I feel they were warranted in moving Hodgson if the stories as presented are true. I'm guessing we will never really know however I would have thought Cody's agent or someone would have made a comment that MG's comments were false regarding pushing for more ice time or being moved.

I quite liked watching Cody and was shocked and disappointed when the trade happened. Still I'm tired of fans continuing to whine about it and throw Kassian under the bus just like a bunch of people that called Hodgson a bust.
Posted Image

#71 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

He's not NHL ready...put in Chicago to learn/train to earn some pro values, put the bong down and get your cardio up kid.

#72 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

KelVintage, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You are calling out a rookie before he even has a chance at proving himself. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, they traded Cody, I'm going to cry like a little girl. Get Over It!!!! Cody had top line minutes and Kassian sat in AV's dog house. There is no comparison, to do so only shows how little you know about the game. You want to know what is really a shame? It's idiots like you that try and tear down kids before they even have a chance. You WANT failure, I doubt you're even a fan.

#73 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Oh look, it's nuck nit with another "fire Gillis" comment. Face it, we don't agree on this. I feel they were warranted in moving Hodgson if the stories as presented are true. I'm guessing we will never really know however I would have thought Cody's agent or someone would have made a comment that MG's comments were false regarding pushing for more ice time or being moved.
I quite liked watching Cody and was shocked and disappointed when the trade happened. Still I'm tired of fans continuing to whine about it and throw Kassian under the bus just like a bunch of people that called Hodgson a bust.

Whatever ,bud.Go with facts and not the rumours,misinformation and innuendo and you will draw a factual conclusion.
I am tired of hockey 'fans' like you whining and pointing fingers instead of using your brain and common sense.

#74 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Posted Image

#75 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

A historic terrifying situation is currently happening in Boston and you post to troll people.

You are a terrible person, give your head a shake and go do something good for this world.

What the hell does his post about Kassian have to do with the bombings in Boston? Not every thread criticizing a player on the Canucks is trolling! Claiming he's a terrible person? Have you done "something good for this world" today? You're sitting on CDC replying to this "troll", so I'll wager a guess and say no, no you haven't.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 19 April 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#76 A Skylit Drive

A Skylit Drive

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Both play 15-20 minutes a night? :lol:

Lol, not even close. Kassian gets 10 minutes a night if he's lucky. Playing alongside superstar Andrew Ebbett.

Hodgson gets first line minutes with Vanek and gets first unit powerplay time.

Until Kassian gets to play in a similar role, it's not fair to compare the two.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageRip Luc Bourdon Forever a canuck...

#77 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Kassian is an enigma... I really hope he pans out.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#78 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Everybody just calm down and save it for when we're eliminated in the first or second round!!

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#79 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I definitely disagree with the ops assessment that kass is an awful player, but he's definitely not ready. He should be in he A getting top line minute developing.

Unfair or not, kassian will always be compared to hodgson. The trade itself is a terrible one and not a single thing anyone says will change that. They trades a player that could help us now and be an impact for someone far from ready and whom is a question mark.

This seems to be our managements biggest problem; judgement of talent. Can be traced back to the bernier trade, Ballard trade, Booth, claiming that Jensen is NHL ready and can step in and help a team right away, same said with kassian. These guys seriously don't have a clue when it comes to gauging a players skill/potential.

Kassian will be an inconsistent second liner 40-50 pt player that shows flashes of brilliance here and there . I think he will be a serviceable player for us and I really do like the kid, but the trade made absolutely zero sense and those defending it are doing so blindly and seriously, don't have a clue.

Edited by Robongo, 19 April 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks R.Luongo. for the sig!=)

#80 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I just wish he played with more energy right now, like Gallagher etc.

Is he still that out of shape, didn't he work on his conditioning all summer?

He floats too much sometimes, last game he was good though.

Edit:

This seems to be our managements biggest problem; judgement of talent. Can be traced back to the bernier trade, Ballard trade, claiming that Jensen is NHL ready and can step in and help a team right away, same said with kassian. These guys seriously don't have a clue when it comes to gauging a players skill/potential.

Agreed.

Edited by TheGame., 19 April 2013 - 10:41 AM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#81 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

FIRE EVERYTHING!!!
Posted Image
FIRE EVERYTHING!!!

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 19 April 2013 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#82 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

That's the power forward game.. there's a reason they're so sought after there is usually a steep development curve on them.. Look at a guy like Bertuzzi.

I like Kassian, you can see flashes or great talent.. inconsistent at best right now and I think Hodgson is great hockey player which makes it hard to swallow the trade but there were other factors involved.

That's the thing about prospects, never know what way it will go but calling kassian a horrible hockey player? trolol.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#83 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

:bigblush:
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#84 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Not as pathetic as this thread .. well done ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#85 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I definitely disagree with the ops assessment that kass is an awful player, but he's definitely not ready. He should be in he A getting top line minute developing.

Unfair or not, kassian will always be compared to hodgson. The trade itself is a terrible one and not a single thing anyone says will change that. They trades a player that could help us now and be an impact for someone far from ready and whom is a question mark.

This seems to be our managements biggest problem; judgement of talent. Can be traced back to the bernier trade, Ballard trade, Booth, claiming that Jensen is NHL ready and can step in and help a team right away, same said with kassian. These guys seriously don't have a clue when it comes to gauging a players skill/potential.

Kassian will be an inconsistent second liner 40-50 pt player that shows flashes of brilliance here and there . I think he will be a serviceable player for us and I really do like the kid, but the trade made absolutely zero sense and those defending it are doing so blindly and seriously, don't have a clue.

You have obviously never had to listen to Cody's Daddy whine and snivel ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#86 "Bull" Horvat

"Bull" Horvat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Dear OP:

I hope you don't tell others in the public you're a Canucks fan.

Kassian has good hands for a big body like himself, with good vision and play making abilities. At a young age, consistency is usually a problem. Hodgson is their top center right now playing with Vanek & was with Pominville for most of the season, their top players. Yeah no kidding he'd be in a better situation. If Kesler never had any injuries, Hodgson would not have been any different than Schroeder's current situation. So minutes are a difference, roles are different, type of players are different ... You should take a break from CDC. You're not learning very much on here. Hopefully you will .. somehow ... by watching another 10 years of hockey. Power-forwards and playmakers are not to be compared. Why don't you take a look at how Milan Lucic is doing? Wanna call him a bust?
Posted Image

#87 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Sometimes good players are traded because of non-hockey related issues. That is the case in the Cody trade. It's OK to not like the trade, continue to like Cody and still hope Kassian finds his game. He is a kid, give him some time.

#88 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Burrows, do we really need him 2.0
Posted Image

#89 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Kassian's underlying numbers:

He's a dead even corsi 0.00.
He's getting a majority of defensive zone starts - 44.7% and generating a positive ratio of offensive zone finishes 48.1%.
What that indicates is that he is a net positive in terms of his two way effect on this team.
Imo that is pretty impressive for a rookie power forward.
He's proven that he can produce when he plays an offensive top 6 role.
He's proven that he can play reliable two way hockey when playing a bottom six role and has played many minutes with depth forwards who are filling in in the absence of regulars. Production in that context cannot be expected - in fact, Kassian's ability to adapt as a 22 yr old is impressive, and the fact that AV has used him in a variety of situations imo indicates a strong faith in the young power forward.
He has also faced a reasonable quality of competition - middle road on the Canucks - not sheltered at all as many rookies would need to be.
He has made very few mistakes this year (probably less than his share) - he's played very disciplined hockey (taken very few penalties) - he has stepped up and played the role of deterrent - we all saw what he did to Eager, a guy with a history of taking runs at the Sedins.
Kassian has an obvious physical presence and picks his spots wisely, has very good speed, very good hands, good hockey sense and awareness, and plays an intelligent game, particularly for a 22 year old.
Nothing to complain about really.
Just another uninformed thread that underestimates the player and lacks a factual basis.

Edited by oldnews, 19 April 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#90 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

You guys can defend kassian and rightfully so cause he is young and needs time. And coaching but don't bash hodgson he has more goals then anyone on our team and yeah he has vanek but burrows and kassian have the sedins no excuse hodgson is a good player get over it

Edited by NP-4815162342, 19 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.