The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

That's the power forward game.. there's a reason they're so sought after there is usually a steep development curve on them.. Look at a guy like Bertuzzi.

I like Kassian, you can see flashes or great talent.. inconsistent at best right now and I think Hodgson is great hockey player which makes it hard to swallow the trade but there were other factors involved.

That's the thing about prospects, never know what way it will go but calling kassian a horrible hockey player? trolol.

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

I definitely disagree with the ops assessment that kass is an awful player, but he's definitely not ready. He should be in he A getting top line minute developing.

Unfair or not, kassian will always be compared to hodgson. The trade itself is a terrible one and not a single thing anyone says will change that. They trades a player that could help us now and be an impact for someone far from ready and whom is a question mark.

This seems to be our managements biggest problem; judgement of talent. Can be traced back to the bernier trade, Ballard trade, Booth, claiming that Jensen is NHL ready and can step in and help a team right away, same said with kassian. These guys seriously don't have a clue when it comes to gauging a players skill/potential.

Kassian will be an inconsistent second liner 40-50 pt player that shows flashes of brilliance here and there . I think he will be a serviceable player for us and I really do like the kid, but the trade made absolutely zero sense and those defending it are doing so blindly and seriously, don't have a clue.

Dear OP:

I hope you don't tell others in the public you're a Canucks fan.

Kassian has good hands for a big body like himself, with good vision and play making abilities. At a young age, consistency is usually a problem. Hodgson is their top center right now playing with Vanek & was with Pominville for most of the season, their top players. Yeah no kidding he'd be in a better situation. If Kesler never had any injuries, Hodgson would not have been any different than Schroeder's current situation. So minutes are a difference, roles are different, type of players are different ... You should take a break from CDC. You're not learning very much on here. Hopefully you will .. somehow ... by watching another 10 years of hockey. Power-forwards and playmakers are not to be compared. Why don't you take a look at how Milan Lucic is doing? Wanna call him a bust?

Guest Pinchin

Sometimes good players are traded because of non-hockey related issues. That is the case in the Cody trade. It's OK to not like the trade, continue to like Cody and still hope Kassian finds his game. He is a kid, give him some time.

Kassian's underlying numbers:

He's a dead even corsi 0.00.

He's getting a majority of defensive zone starts - 44.7% and generating a positive ratio of offensive zone finishes 48.1%.

What that indicates is that he is a net positive in terms of his two way effect on this team.

Imo that is pretty impressive for a rookie power forward.

He's proven that he can produce when he plays an offensive top 6 role.

He's proven that he can play reliable two way hockey when playing a bottom six role and has played many minutes with depth forwards who are filling in in the absence of regulars. Production in that context cannot be expected - in fact, Kassian's ability to adapt as a 22 yr old is impressive, and the fact that AV has used him in a variety of situations imo indicates a strong faith in the young power forward.

He has also faced a reasonable quality of competition - middle road on the Canucks - not sheltered at all as many rookies would need to be.

He has made very few mistakes this year (probably less than his share) - he's played very disciplined hockey (taken very few penalties) - he has stepped up and played the role of deterrent - we all saw what he did to Eager, a guy with a history of taking runs at the Sedins.

Kassian has an obvious physical presence and picks his spots wisely, has very good speed, very good hands, good hockey sense and awareness, and plays an intelligent game, particularly for a 22 year old.

Nothing to complain about really.

Just another uninformed thread that underestimates the player and lacks a factual basis.

Ok seriously wtf is the point of this hodgson vs kassian debate??

Its a done deal.

I understand how there's a lot of goalie debate which I'm a part of as well. But that's because we have both goalies on our team... hogson is gone... get over it.

Kassian's underlying numbers:

He's a dead even corsi 0.00.

He's getting a majority of defensive zone starts - 44.7% and generating a positive ratio of offensive zone finishes 48.1%.

What that indicates is that he is a net positive in terms of his two way effect on this team.

Imo that is pretty impressive for a rookie power forward.

He's proven that he can produce when he plays an offensive top 6 role.

He's proven that he can play reliable two way hockey when playing a bottom six role and has played many minutes with depth forwards who are filling in in the absence of regulars. Production in that context cannot be expected - in fact, Kassian's ability to adapt as a 22 yr old is impressive, and the fact that AV has used him in a variety of situations imo indicates a strong faith in the young power forward.

He has also faced a reasonable quality of competition - middle road on the Canucks - not sheltered at all as many rookies would need to be.

He has made very few mistakes this year (probably less than his share) - he's played very disciplined hockey (taken very few penalties) - he has stepped up and played the role of deterrent - we all saw what he did to Eager, a guy with a history of taking runs at the Sedins.

Kassian has an obvious physical presence and picks his spots wisely, has very good speed, very good hands, good hockey sense and awareness, and plays an intelligent game, particularly for a 22 year old.

Nothing to complain about really.

Just another uninformed thread that underestimates the player and lacks a factual basis.

because MG IS THE MOST HONEST MAN ALIVE

LOL

BELIEVING MG HES A CLEAR CUT YAPPER JUST THE WAY HE YAPPED ON TSN SAYING 4 TEAMS ARE INTERESTED IN LU

THEN HE YAPPED HIS GUMS TO MANNY IDC I PERSONALLY DONT BELIEVE A WORD MG SAYS

WE LOST A GEM IN CODY HODGSON

Archived