The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

Guest Gumballthechewy

I bet he's a better hockey player than you, after all he is in NHL and you're just sitting behind a computer...

Oh CDC, you never let me down..

An underdeveloped rookie is deemed to be an awful hockey player based on what like 50-60 games in Vancouver, and arguably not being put in a role by AV to succeed. Isn't it common knowledge that it takes a power forward more than a season to develop into a prominent power forward?

And are you flacking kidding when you say he has no vision? He has demonstrated multiple times this season excellent passing, and that's only going to improve when he gets more experience and starts playing with talented players. Andrew Fricking Ebbett isn't getting him anywhere.

I honestly don't understand why people keep beating this trade to death. It's not like Gillis did it willingly. CODY HODGSON WANTED OUT OF VANCOUVER, HE WANTED MORE ICE-TIME. There is no point in even comparing the players as they are placed in completely different roles in their respective teams. I don't understand how Gillis said this would help us immediately, as it hasn't. But to say Kassian is awful makes NO SENSE at all. He may not be guiding this team to wins right now, but he will be a force to reckon with in the future.

The OP is a bit harsh on Kassian but can anyone really argue his bad play? Regardless if his center is Sedin or Ebbet it doesn't mean he has to stop skating, when was the last time he was fast enough to lay someone out? I can't even remember his last big hit, he doesn't skate hard at all and is suspect in his own end and unless something major changes I doubt he even plays in the playoffs other then the odd 4th line role. The only thing I disagree with is his vision, I think he has good vision and offensive skills and we saw that early in the season, his issue right now is he looks sluggish and rather unmotivated, he says all the right things when the heat is on but never executes on those things. The Canucks are not asking him to score goals by the bundle, what they want is a big guy that can play in the top 9 that will actually layout the odd dman and add a little bit of offensive threat, basically a younger Torres but at the moment he is far from that.

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

give him a steady linemate, and don't demote him to the 4th line on small mistakes... and you'd be surprised what happens when you show faith in somebody. most of the time... they respond!

he doesn't know what he is doing out there - 4th line banger but score, so be finesse... or 2nd line scorer but don't forget to fight...

put him with Roy and Raymond / Hansen (or whatever the 3rd line really should be) and let him play through some growing pains. for flying F!@#$!@I#!@!@!!

Guest Gumballthechewy

I don't think anyone claimed to be an incredible hockey player or better than him.

This is the Canucks forum where we talk about the Canucks.

WHAT!? who gives a frack about Boston this is a Canuck forum, we don't give two craps about the team that ripped our hearts out or its city. I don't mean to sound too insensitive, yeah anytime someone is killed it's a tragedy and I feel for them and the family but I could care less about the city, they're Canuck haters.

Kassian has had flashes of what could be. He's just horribly inconsistent. Some games he is just not engaged and becomes a defensive liability.

If he could put together the size, puck protection, hits and skill all at once consistently, we'd have a helluva player.

Only time will tell us if he can do it.

KelVintage, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You are calling out a rookie before he even has a chance at proving himself. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, they traded Cody, I'm going to cry like a little girl. Get Over It!!!! Cody had top line minutes and Kassian sat in AV's dog house. There is no comparison, to do so only shows how little you know about the game. You want to know what is really a shame? It's idiots like you that try and tear down kids before they even have a chance. You WANT failure, I doubt you're even a fan.

Kassian sucks lol we don't have the luxury to wait on this brick of a player to actually do something for us. He plays with no energy at all and I'm not saying its completely his fault but I believe that gillis could have made a better trade and got someone a little more nhl ready. Our roster consists of players that are nhl ready and hungry for the cup and then we have this pylon who needs a separate coach just for himself to keep him motivated.

Its hard to get skilled players like Hodgson, especially with his high level decision making off ice determination. Kassian essentially 'started trying' once he got to Vancouver - starting with his presumably his first "professional level" off season training. Hodgson never needed to be pressed to do everything he could, from what he ate to how he worked out to how hard he practiced - it came from within.

At the end of the day, Hodgson was more of a self starter, and thats probably why he's better than Kassian in their young careers. Kassian has gotten by with obvious talent and by being physically larger than everyone he played with. Now in the NHL, the size difference isn't as dramatic.

Its much easier/cheaper to sign or trade for a skilled physical third liner like Torres, Prust, Boyle rather than a skilled player like Hodgson. Also, usually having more experienced players are 'better' on the top checking unit because they wont give up as much defensively.

Instead, we ended up with a BIG gamble in exchange for a proven blue chip skilled asset. Barring future injuries, it would be less likely that Hodgson ends up with under 55 points/season than more. Kassian right now still needs a few years of seasoning... Ironically, about as much time as we have a for sure core playing at their peak. Hopefully Kassian can speed that up and learn as much as he can as fast as he can - the talent is there.

At the end of the day, Hodgson didn't want to be there. So for that reason it was best to move him. At the deadline for a less-sure-thing prospect was probably not the best idea... maybe waiting for the draft and having more time to assess, while having a player who could actually play immediately while trying to make a cup run, probably would have netted us a higher return and been more beneficial that playoff run.

Still, when all's said and done, Kassian is still a TOP prospect and given the type of player he was and the type of player he is expected to be, it is understandable that he is a few years away from being legitimately effective. As awesome as he is to have, it probably would have been better to get something that helps us immediately.

The one thing that this helps us with FOR SURE is this year's cap crunch - it will be interesting to see what kind of salary Hodgson will command. With Kassian, we get an extra year of ELC + he will most likely be cheaper given his current production.

Archived