Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Are we really going to keep pretending that....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

No free previews

Kassian is actually going to evolve into the role that we need him for? If he wasn't even a star in the Juniors....... and "struggles" in the AHL......... how exactly is he going to be a 'star' in the NHL? Posted ImagePosted Image

I know I know, we pretend that he has a ton of potential and is doing great because we are still upset about the Hodgson trade.... something that we will be kicking ourselves for many years to come, but I think at this point we should just be honest here at CDC and realize we've made a terrible mistake. We convince ourselves 'he is only 22' Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image..... Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. list goes on of how many people made impacts at a young age. The only reason the "22 year old with potential" argument can be valid is because at that age players are still growing and experiencing muscle maturity.....Zack is already balding, has full facial hair, full muscle-development, etc.. meaning that this is his peak physical condition and already has high levels of testosterone.

Before his stats suffer any worse, it would be a great time after the playoffs to trade Kassian and Lu in order to keep Roy, Booth, and then get a player in the trade that is actually "good".

#2 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

*yawn Kassian bashing threads were so a couple of hours ago.

Edited by Aladeen, 19 April 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

#3 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

This is not a "bashing" thread..... this is a "lets stop pretending and start accomplishing thread".

And the other threads were god awful and weird.... although the end conclusion was correct

#4 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

So many crybabies. Relax bud, Kass is barely 22 years old playing NHL hockey. He'll be fine. Besides, you know Big Bert? One of the best powerforwards ever? It took him 4+ years to even do anything.

Edited by Hyzer, 19 April 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#5 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

This is not a "bashing" thread..... this is a "lets stop pretending and start accomplishing thread".

And the other threads were god awful and weird.... although the end conclusion was correct

So why did you believe another was necessary? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#6 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

You're seriously comparing him to first overall picks and some of the best offensive NHL players today...
Are we seriously going to keep pretending that Kassian's toughness will not be needed in the playoffs? I can't say it enough but we LACK toughness, and Kassian brings it. Who in our top 9 or team for that matter can actually protect his teammates when crap goes on after the whistle? I'm tired of this team getting bullied.

Edited by ButterBean, 19 April 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#7 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Let's "stop pretending" Kassian has talent. Let's trade him while he has "some value".

Isn't that in fact bashing Kassians ability? You can pretty it up any way you want but scarlet is still just red.

:lol:
Posted Image

#8 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

I challenge the OP to name ONE powerforward who was consistently effective at Kassian's age.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#9 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

So many crybabies. Relax bud, Kass is barely 22 years old playing NHL hockey. He'll be fine. Besides, you know Big Bert? One of the best powerforwards ever? It took him 4+ years to even do anything.

Perfect example of what I was talking about in the original post. You still aren't getting "it", although I think you are you just choose to pretend :lol: :lol:

Have you also seen the way Bert was playing during those 4 years? The stats weren't up there, but he was one of those players that people were still talking about because he played like an absolute monster. He showed signs of progression each year and showed up to play every single game. That's the difference. This kid plays like he doesn't give a damn every game, probably being passive aggressive for being demoted from the Sedin line, and being lazy+not having any speed or skills?? Waste of our time. He should join a boxing gym to live up to his "real" potential

#10 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

You can pretty it up any way you want but scarlet is still just red.

uhhhhhhhh.......... Posted Image

If you are going to "quote" daddy, please refrain from saying things like this...I'm not into that whole "thing" :lol:

#11 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I challenge the OP to name ONE powerforward who was consistently effective at Kassian's age.

Ovechkin. I know this is your first year of hockey but he still plays today ya know? :lol:

#12 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I remember when MG made that offer sheet to Backes and thinking "whats the big deal with this Backes kid"? The other night watching backes i was thinking wow wouldnt it have been nice to have that on our team.
Unfortunately we are just going to have to wait and see what happens with him. For the type of player he is he ois going to take longer to develope him.
I agree there is a risk there that he might not pan out whereas CH is now looking like a sure thing. Its jsut to soon for you to be writing him off O.P
GOD BE PRAISED

#13 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

welcome back King v2.0.

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,543 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Are we really going to keep pretending that....

...I read this thread? It's a sham, I admit. I've been living a lie and saying I read the threads, but I don't. I really don't! It's so sad that I just see a title and... oh wait, where was I? Oh yeah, plenty of Kassian threads over the past couple months.

Just today:
Kassian is an awful hockey player
Previous threads:
Canucks Recall Kassian
Kassian sent down to the wolves
Kassian is such a nice kid
Jensen or kassian
Kassian is a Power Forward not a Grinder!
Kassian needs to be sent down, for everyone's benefit
And the Grandaddy of them all:
Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

All of those threads (apart from the last one) are from March or April. I'm sure your comments would be fine in any of those.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#15 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Ovechkin. I know this is your first year of hockey but he still plays today ya know? :lol:

Great, a generational talent #1 overall pick. Clearly comparable.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#16 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Its just to soon for you to be writing him off O.P

We are going to end this argument about it being "too soon" to write him right here and I am only gonna say it one last time... anyone else who continues to bring it up is obviously a troll and will be put on daddy's ignore list with the quickness... okay glad we got that out of the way

As I mentioned, in order to gauge potential, we need to look at the big picture which is what he have right now. These players that you guys keep mentioning always showed that they were progressing and had that "edge". Kassian has 0 signs of ever becoming anything higher than a 3rd liner. He loses the puck all the time, he's slow, has no presence along with the boards, he's always falling over, and just aimlessly floats around for 25 seconds before getting right back on the bench.

Difference? Bert was making the small plays happen. He was skating ferociously at high speeds, throwing big hits, getting scrappy along the boards and keeping possession, etc.. Do you see the difference now?

History has a strange way of repeating itself, and he was never anything special in the minors, wasn't anything special in the AHL, and yet you guys expect him to be some dominant power forward in the NHL?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Hodgson may not have had the season he did with us, but he was showing signs of greatness.

These points that I made are not up for discussion and are NOT debatable.... This is the same information that we can all agree on and have seen....

#18 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

I scrolled all the way down to type this after I read no free previews lol

#19 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

wow
the suspense
Wait for it
oh.
Posted Image

#20 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

Keslord>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...I read this thread? It's a sham, I admit. I've been living a lie and saying I read the threads, but I don't. I really don't! It's so sad that I just see a title and... oh wait, where was I? Oh yeah, plenty of Kassian threads over the past couple months.

Haha no and no way am I reading those threads with a bunch of dweebs that don't get the bigger picture.... I'd rather start my own thread where I know that the OP is trustworthy and knows what he is talking about.

#21 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Keslord>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd rather start my own thread where I know that the OP is trustworthy and knows what he is talking about.

Impossible to combine two mutually exclusive propositions.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#22 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think you could make a lot of comparisons to Sergio Momesso in the mid 90's. Similar style players, similar career progression, etc.

Momesso had some good talents and some flashes of great play; which made him an effective third line banger. When he was on his game, he could be an effective power forward from time to time.

I think if Kassian can develop into this, he can have a good career.

Similarly, Vancouver also drafted Alex Stojanov and Shawn Antoski. Both these players also had a good skill level that could have developed into a power forward type player; yet they could never get it together. The point is, there only seems to be 1 or 2 Lucic/Bertuzzi/Neely types of players in the game at any given time.

The "formula" for becoming a power-foward is having a line where each player can compliment the other. Historically, these "power-forwards" evolve with the perfect line.

Examples: Tkachuk - Zhamnov - Selanne; Bertuzzi - Morrison - Naslund; etc.

You need the power forward to create room physically, the puck-handler creates room with skill, and the play-maker finds the openings in coverage to take advantage of each. Kassian on his own isn't going to create much other than "broken" plays here and there. It isn't a wonder that with the Sedins he looked like our best player. So long term, if you want to develop Kassian into a true star player you need a specific two line-mates that compliment him.

Unfortunately, Vigneault doesn't agree and would much rather throw Lapierre and Weise out there with him and create nothing. In addition, our drafting isn't going to help out much in this manner either. Kassian needs pure skill on his line. Not more size, not checkers, not "2-way" players.

#23 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Children, who needs em?

#24 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think you could make a lot of comparisons to Sergio Momesso in the mid 90's. Similar style players, similar career progression, etc.

Momesso had some good talents and some flashes of great play; which made him an effective third line banger. When he was on his game, he could be an effective power forward from time to time.

I think if Kassian can develop into this, he can have a good career.

Similarly, Vancouver also drafted Alex Stojanov and Shawn Antoski. Both these players also had a good skill level that could have developed into a power forward type player; yet they could never get it together. The point is, there only seems to be 1 or 2 Lucic/Bertuzzi/Neely types of players in the game at any given time.

The "formula" for becoming a power-foward is having a line where each player can compliment the other. Historically, these "power-forwards" evolve with the perfect line.

Examples: Tkachuk - Zhamnov - Selanne; Bertuzzi - Morrison - Naslund; etc.

You need the power forward to create room physically, the puck-handler creates room with skill, and the play-maker finds the openings in coverage to take advantage of each. Kassian on his own isn't going to create much other than "broken" plays here and there. It isn't a wonder that with the Sedins he looked like our best player. So long term, if you want to develop Kassian into a true star player you need a specific two line-mates that compliment him.

Unfortunately, Vigneault doesn't agree and would much rather throw Lapierre and Weise out there with him and create nothing. In addition, our drafting isn't going to help out much in this manner either. Kassian needs pure skill on his line. Not more size, not checkers, not "2-way" players.

Wow this is actually a "good" post. Good to see this place isn't only full of delusional people.

I completely agree with your post.... if we were talking about what it takes to become a great power forward. However, in order to be able to have those kind of teammates that fit those roles, the power forward also has to have at least a little bit of skill+speed in order to help the rest of the line produce as well.

Kassian is slipping into terrible and lazy habits though and has shown 0 signs of growth or increased play. In fact, it seems like he is becoming progressively worse and has been more prone to making mistakes and is just looking sloppy overall in general. I can't wait to bump this thread in two years when he is labeled as "underwhelming" and is slotted in with the Cam Barker's who just never quite lived up to the hype.

#25 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

uhhhhhhhh.......... Posted Image

If you are going to "quote" daddy, please refrain from saying things like this...I'm not into that whole "thing" :lol:

Misplaced homophobia to avoid the point? Well I suppose the "baby" part of your name is accurate.
Posted Image

#26 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Misplaced homophobia to avoid the point? Well I suppose the "baby" part of your name is accurate.

Weird.... well instead of worrying about you bumping into another one of daddy's threads, I will just go ahead and put you on 'ignore' so we're not wasting any time here :lol: :lol:

Edited by RoyBaby, 19 April 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#27 Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck

Canucks First-Line

• Super Moderators
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please read the Board Rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.