The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on 1040

canuckbeliever

Gillis whines about injuries and fatigue every time he talks to the media. He should just GM another freakin' team. All he does is enable all the people here who generate piles of excuses for this team.

You know who isn't injured? The Coach. Where's his accountability?

Gillis is in denial, knows he has not done much as GM to help this team, scared to make big moves, probably is trying to pretend he is so confident and has everything under control when he clearly doesn't.

Injuries matter more when a team does not have much depth and when coaching does not prepare back up players to play the system properly.

Right now the Canucks do not have much depth -- they have 5 good Ds Hammer, Garrison, Bieksa, Edler and Tanev. There is a big drop to #6 and a big further drop to #7 and #8. (Suddenly we can appreciate what Salo and even Rome did for the team.)

And among the forwards, after the top 6 there is not much.

And I continue to believe that the AV is not good at teaching and developing young players.

I shudder to think of what the Canucks will look like as the Sedins age. The Canucks need more good prospects and a good developmental coach.

He's blaming the losses on us having our key players out. Last I checked, St. Louis didn't have Oshie playing, and Dallas traded all their good players, yet we still lost in convincing fashion. Yes we don't have Bieksa, Tanev, and Higgins (Booth is irrelevant), but does that mean we shouldn't be able to score more than 1 goal? We did acquire Roy to provide scoring, and we did just get Kesler back. Furthermore, do we blame the players who weren't playing for how the team played? Even with those injuries we are undoubtedly more skilled than both St. Louis and Dallas but we still lost. Also, we have the size to compete with St. Louis, but it looked like we were being dominated physically later on in the game.

IMO he fails to realize the lack of determination of this team.

The Canucks have a lot of depth. They just do not have a coach who really wants to utilize it.

If you want to know why the Canucks could not beat Boston, that is as big a reason as any. Those kind of tough playoff series are the ones where unsung heroes are made. The guys no one thought twice about who come up big because they have been made to feel like a part of the solution all season long rather than just a spare part. And they are confident that when the time comes that they are needed they will be able to earn a bigger role if they take advantage of it.

Successful playoff teams consistently have a handful of those guys who exceed expectations and come up big. And they don't try to force or pre-determine who those guys will be (for example Edler, Bieksa, etc.). They let it happen and they reward them with a bigger role when it does.

If the Canucks want to win a cup AV better realize quickly that guys like Ballard, Kassian, Schroeder, etc. - the guys he does not trust - are likely going to need to play the role of unsung hero at some point. He needs to let go a little bit and put them in the place to do so now by getting them playing with confidence.

Ballard needs a few games in a top 4 offensive rle now, not when Hamhuis and Edler get injured in the playoffs as an example. See what he can do and get him comfortable and confident again. There is still time. As we saw in the St Louis game, he has that knack to piss off the other teams best players and get them focusing on him or running around. That is INVALUABLE in the playoffs. Even during the cup run he took out Kopecky against Chicago, rocked Tootoo in the 2nd round to keep him honest, and was pretty much the the only guy willing to stick up for his teammates against Boston. He brings a lot that the team could really use if they just let him do it game in and game out.

Same with Kassian and Schroeder. Put them in a position to succeed and make sure they know exactly what they have to do to stay in the lineup. They need that direction and that consistency to help them along. But either of those guys could make a key difference in an otherwise close series.

I think the real problem is how overhyped and overloved Cody Hodgson was.

He developed a fanatical fanbase . It was so bad that you could never even mention any flaw in his character. At several points many were calling him the next Canuck camptain. Many insisted he could play as well at times as Stamkos and the wold junior tourney proved he was better than Tavares.

Yes. This kind of fanaticism. They insisted that he was a great 'two way' player which made many of us doubt our own sanity. Were we really talking about the same Hodgson we see with the Moose or Canucks 3rd line?

Anyways. When he was traded, the whole CDC board exploded and had to literally shut down. I have no idea if thats normal or not because I wasnt a member yet. I have been told about it and to me its the same reaction you would expect when Queen Elizabeth dies.

So , Zack Kassian has the most unfortunate luck in the world to now be thrust into this Cody Hodgson world. A world of fans hanging at the end of a rope wishing they were dead. Pissed off and looking for a target to blame for their beloved boy being snatched away from them.

Its Gillis. Its AV. its Ryan Kesler refusing to bend over and be his winger. Its anyone and everyone. The medical staff.

Well, now its the poor guy who we got in trade for him . He who has nothing to do with Hodgson . He now has to be blamed and mocked for his whole career to make up for the loss of their beloved Hodgson.

As for Kassian? Hes a 22 year old with bigger upside and a longer learning curve. Once he learns to keep his intensity level up and use the gifts he was given, hes going to be an outstanding hockey player.

Pfft, this 'love for Coho' was never there until he was gone. Constantly i heard nothing but assessments on how bad he was, how he was never going to be all that great, how slow he was, how soft, etc. from the fans in the stands, where i was like, 'give it time?'

Then he scored that goal against Boston. (A lucky shot against the play.) And in comes the fanboys... Oh he's gonna be the next Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, Mike Bossy etc. Oohhhhh Baby!

(Um, it's just one goal?)

It's those fickle fans that then got all watery in the eyes when he was dumped (because he wanted out). And surprise, surprise, it's those sane fickle fans who are now casting a dark shadow on Kassian's future.

Bottom line is this: Beyond him WANTING out, With a declining cap, we weren't going to be able to keep Coho around anyway. Watch. He's going to command Sedin money for his performance this season. And when he gets it people here will have an 'ahhhhh' moment.

As for Kassian, he's gonna be cheaper, for sure, as it's going to take him a few years to blossom into this 'great power forward.'

Unless we pump him up with ped's for the playoffs, i'm not expecting much from him for the rest of the season.

Give it time.

Archived