The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone hate Booth?

Outsiders

I would say the majority of people hate him due to his open (not forceful) opinions. I mean, it's not like he's going all Tim Thomas-style putting his own beliefs ahead of his team's image.

People dislike him because he's a devout Christian, kinda like how people bash Tim Tebow for his religion. Of course, it's Christianity, so it's all ok. If someone was to bash Kesler because he's Jewish....

He hunts.... yet somehow people act like it's their own dog that got shot or something. There's probably a few players on the Canucks that probably hunts too, just they don't make it public.

His style of play is a bit frustrating, but only because his style doesn't work well with Kesler's play. He's a LW, but the Sedins prefer someone who plays RW (Burrows being the exception). If he's on the 3rd line, he's a bit overpaid.

I still think he's still a good player and should be given a full season before a decision is made about his role in Vancouver.

I think there is a stigma attached to him, not only is he not playing up to his 4.25M contract taking up valuable cap space (not at the moment but you know what I mean) but he also shares an opinion of a lot of American values that British Columbia tend to feel the opposite on.

BC is probably the most liberal province in the country with many citizens feeling pro-choice, pro-gay, ant-gun, anti-hunting, and can be considered quite secular. Booth comes off as the complete opposite and very open about these opinions. Not that that is his fault, he just happened to be traded to a team that A) dislikes a lot of these opinions and B) Has one of the most fanatical and critical fan bases in the league.

Personally, I don't hate him. He embraces his opinion on religion, guns, etc. but he isn't exactly like TT who comes of as a lunatic, Booth understands other people have their own opinions, and he seems to love the city.

I have heard rumors he pushes his ideals on teammates but that may just be speculation or false accusations.

We all know David Booth is overpaid, but he is a great player when healthy. Do you people hate David Booth because he's always hurt so much or am I missing something. Cause when he's in the lineup he hits hard and plays hard. He looked good in the games be played in this year. Explain yourselves ...

Guest Gumballthechewy

Anti-gun and hunting??? You've obviously never lived outside the lower mainland. Hunting is big in this province. In 2010 over 100,000 BC resident hunting licenses were purchased. hunting is certainly down from the 70's and 80's but largely due to dramatic cost increases in the sport.

Booth is worth every penny if he can stay healthy. This year he was playing with Lapierre and Kassian who were going through a stretch of 2 points over 43 games combined, plus during Booth's brief stint this season Raymond and Higgins were putting up similar numbers over those same games.

I agree he was playing well. Generating scoring chances, getting shots on net, hitting, and controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I think he would have finished with around 10 goals over the season if he stayed healthy, but unfortunately he didn't.

When it comes down to it, however, Booth can't seem to stay healthy. I think he deserves one last shot.

I thought Booth played well at times this season. He can at least generate chances for himself, which would make him valuable on the Canucks' 3rd or 4th line. He doesn't earn the salary he is paid, but that alone is not reason enough for me to dislike him.

A hockey player's individual beliefs don't have much bearing on whether or not I will like them as a hockey player unless those beliefs are wildly bigoted/racist/homophobic/etc. David Booth is quiet about his beliefs, and I don't exactly agree with a lot of what he has to say re: religion, but that isn't enough to make me dislike him. There are millions of people with similar beliefs to Booth, and I'm not going to dislike all of those people just because their beliefs differ from mine.

Booth is worth every penny if he can stay healthy. This year he was playing with Lapierre and Kassian who were going through a stretch of 2 points over 43 games combined, plus during Booth's brief stint this season Raymond and Higgins were putting up similar numbers over those same games.

I agree he was playing well. Generating scoring chances, getting shots on net, hitting, and controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I think he would have finished with around 10 goals over the season if he stayed healthy, but unfortunately he didn't.

When it comes down to it, however, Booth can't seem to stay healthy. I think he deserves one last shot.

I don't think anyone hates him... It's just really tough to justify his salary against one goal of I'm not mistaken and that was an open net goal on a pity pass from lappy...

Really really really hard to justify his salary when for the same amount we could have a player with way more ups vs downs.

Didn't you say that about Garrison a couple of months ago?

I would love to see Booth get a chance in the playoffs. He's had a miserable year with injuries and really hasn't had a chance to get his game back.

I would be interested in seeing if he and Roy develop some chemistry. In Fla he had Weiss making some nice plays/passes and did very well. I didn't see any of this with Booth and Kes.

Anyways, if the Nucks are around long enough for Booth to return healthy, I will be very happy. 2nd round and some fresh legs joining the team. Booth will play better against physical teams than many of our other players.

It was a good trade.

We got a 3rd rnd pick out of it, and unloaded 2 older wingers.

I thought he played well in his first year here. He put up 16 goals, and probably would have hit 20 if he stayed healthy.

In terms of his personality, he seems like a very nice guy. Seems happy and energetic, and well liked by his teammates.

Archived