122 replies to this topic

#91 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

1 empty net goal for 4.2 million dollars = looked good this year? Explain yourself.....

Posted Image

#92 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

didn't know people hated david booth. the guy's just had horrible luck since coming here. hasn't even played 82 games with us yet. injuries happen people. it's all a big mystery

He has sucked the entirety of his tenure with this team. Even when healthy.

#93 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Don't hate him but don't feel bad for him a bit. He spent the whole lockout chasing beasts and not skating or training. He has the injuries to show his lack of professionalism. Good player I like his game but he isn't dedicated enough and he has only himself to blame. He has a ton to prove sadly I doubt he will be in game shape for the playoffs so it looks like he will have to prove it on another team. Because if I was MG there is no way that I would waste a roster spot on him when he obviously cares more about hunting than hockey.

#94 Discord

Discord

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

He has sucked the entirety of his tenure with this team. Even when healthy.

which has been inconsistent. that does factor in with chemistry. he hasn't really been healthy for a long enough stretch to really gel with the team. also have to remember the guy came from florida to a team with a system

2emollt.jpg

Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys! CHOCOLATE RAIN

#95 Raspberries

Raspberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

With Booth I just keep getting the sense that to him hockey is his hobby. He lives to hunt, Not to play hockey.

#96 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

-Overpaid
-American
-Disappointing
-Floater
-No-Chemistry
-Dont Care about your dog

So you hate Kes and Ginger too for being American? Absolutely ridiculous to hate someone for where they were born.

Cheers, SNACanuck

#97 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

He isn't the player he used to be on the Panthers before his concussion.

canucks141.png

#98 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

I dont hate Booth, I hate Gillis for signing Booth. Booth is as streaky as they come, doesnt play a lick of defence, he is injury prone, and he kills nature. Nevermind I hate Booth ;)

#99 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Lol you don't have to score to play good

What does Booth bring to the team if he is not scoring? 0

Plays defence? Nope
Kills penalties? Nope
Physical presence? When he feels the urge
Great passer? *giggles
Has good hockey hair? Win

#100 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

I would say the majority of people hate him due to his open (not forceful) opinions. I mean, it's not like he's going all Tim Thomas-style putting his own beliefs ahead of his team's image.
People dislike him because he's a devout Christian, kinda like how people bash Tim Tebow for his religion. Of course, it's Christianity, so it's all ok. If someone was to bash Kesler because he's Jewish....
He hunts.... yet somehow people act like it's their own dog that got shot or something. There's probably a few players on the Canucks that probably hunts too, just they don't make it public.

His style of play is a bit frustrating, but only because his style doesn't work well with Kesler's play. He's a LW, but the Sedins prefer someone who plays RW (Burrows being the exception). If he's on the 3rd line, he's a bit overpaid.

I still think he's still a good player and should be given a full season before a decision is made about his role in Vancouver.

#101 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

We all know David Booth is overpaid, but he is a great player when healthy. Do you people hate David Booth because he's always hurt so much or am I missing something. Cause when he's in the lineup he hits hard and plays hard. He looked good in the games be played in this year. Explain yourselves ...

He hasnt been the same since... The incident...

http://youtu.be/cIXcGOr4-04

PS. Who can count all the current or ex Canucks on the team from this video? lol

Edited by MyPavelsBured, 20 April 2013 - 05:47 PM.

22481-mortal-kombat-x.jpg

#102 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

1 empty net goal for 4.2 million dollars = looked good this year? Explain yourself.....

Agreed
Posted Image

#103 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

What does Booth bring to the team if he is not scoring? 0

Plays defence? Nope
Kills penalties? Nope
Physical presence? When he feels the urge
Great passer? *giggles
Has good hockey hair? Win

Battles hard through being hooked, tripped, etc... Without looking to the ref for a penalty? Win. Ok that's all I have.

#104 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

4.25 million a year for David Booth.

Overpay as in give up much to get him. Not salary.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#105 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Anyone think booth actually comes
Back sometime in the first or second round?

#106 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

I would say the majority of people hate him due to his open (not forceful) opinions. I mean, it's not like he's going all Tim Thomas-style putting his own beliefs ahead of his team's image.
People dislike him because he's a devout Christian, kinda like how people bash Tim Tebow for his religion. Of course, it's Christianity, so it's all ok. If someone was to bash Kesler because he's Jewish....
He hunts.... yet somehow people act like it's their own dog that got shot or something. There's probably a few players on the Canucks that probably hunts too, just they don't make it public.

His style of play is a bit frustrating, but only because his style doesn't work well with Kesler's play. He's a LW, but the Sedins prefer someone who plays RW (Burrows being the exception). If he's on the 3rd line, he's a bit overpaid.

I still think he's still a good player and should be given a full season before a decision is made about his role in Vancouver.

Kesler's Jewish?
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#107 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I think there is a stigma attached to him, not only is he not playing up to his 4.25M contract taking up valuable cap space (not at the moment but you know what I mean) but he also shares an opinion of a lot of American values that British Columbia tend to feel the opposite on.

BC is probably the most liberal province in the country with many citizens feeling pro-choice, pro-gay, ant-gun, anti-hunting, and can be considered quite secular. Booth comes off as the complete opposite and very open about these opinions. Not that that is his fault, he just happened to be traded to a team that A) dislikes a lot of these opinions and B) Has one of the most fanatical and critical fan bases in the league.

Personally, I don't hate him. He embraces his opinion on religion, guns, etc. but he isn't exactly like TT who comes of as a lunatic, Booth understands other people have their own opinions, and he seems to love the city.

I have heard rumors he pushes his ideals on teammates but that may just be speculation or false accusations.

Anti-gun and hunting??? You've obviously never lived outside the lower mainland. Hunting is big in this province. In 2010 over 100,000 BC resident hunting licenses were purchased. hunting is certainly down from the 70's and 80's but largely due to dramatic cost increases in the sport.
Posted Image

#108 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

So you hate Kes and Ginger too for being American? Absolutely ridiculous to hate someone for where they were born.

Don't forget Higgins, Ballard, Alberts, Schroeder, and Sestito.

:)
Posted Image

#109 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

We all know David Booth is overpaid, but he is a great player when healthy. Do you people hate David Booth because he's always hurt so much or am I missing something. Cause when he's in the lineup he hits hard and plays hard. He looked good in the games be played in this year. Explain yourselves ...

Not a Booth hater. Can't really say I'm even a Booth dis-liker.

People have expectations. If those expectations are not met, they react in different ways. Some note the mitigating factors (if any), and move on. Others, regardless of the reasons for their expectations having not been met, will place blame where-ever they seem to think it should be, and regardless of whether it makes sense or not to others.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#110 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

He's been a dud pick up.

We need to stop trading with Florida.
Posted Image

#111 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Anti-gun and hunting??? You've obviously never lived outside the lower mainland. Hunting is big in this province. In 2010 over 100,000 BC resident hunting licenses were purchased. hunting is certainly down from the 70's and 80's but largely due to dramatic cost increases in the sport.

But... but... Vancouver is the center of the universe...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#112 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

It kind of is the centre of the Canuck universe, so you can understand the bias.

#113 GrogZilla

GrogZilla

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

That can't be right.
CBC has spent years convincing me Toronto is the center of the universe

#114 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Booth is worth every penny if he can stay healthy. This year he was playing with Lapierre and Kassian who were going through a stretch of 2 points over 43 games combined, plus during Booth's brief stint this season Raymond and Higgins were putting up similar numbers over those same games.

I agree he was playing well. Generating scoring chances, getting shots on net, hitting, and controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I think he would have finished with around 10 goals over the season if he stayed healthy, but unfortunately he didn't.

When it comes down to it, however, Booth can't seem to stay healthy. I think he deserves one last shot.
Sig too big.

#115 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

I thought Booth played well at times this season. He can at least generate chances for himself, which would make him valuable on the Canucks' 3rd or 4th line. He doesn't earn the salary he is paid, but that alone is not reason enough for me to dislike him.

A hockey player's individual beliefs don't have much bearing on whether or not I will like them as a hockey player unless those beliefs are wildly bigoted/racist/homophobic/etc. David Booth is quiet about his beliefs, and I don't exactly agree with a lot of what he has to say re: religion, but that isn't enough to make me dislike him. There are millions of people with similar beliefs to Booth, and I'm not going to dislike all of those people just because their beliefs differ from mine.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#116 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Booth is worth every penny if he can stay healthy. This year he was playing with Lapierre and Kassian who were going through a stretch of 2 points over 43 games combined, plus during Booth's brief stint this season Raymond and Higgins were putting up similar numbers over those same games.

I agree he was playing well. Generating scoring chances, getting shots on net, hitting, and controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I think he would have finished with around 10 goals over the season if he stayed healthy, but unfortunately he didn't.

When it comes down to it, however, Booth can't seem to stay healthy. I think he deserves one last shot.

You're with the wrong fan base if you think we are going to be willing to give second chances. Booth is not a Canuck. He belongs somewhere with non-star power. Ive believed this since the day I watched his first game. He's just too used to being "the man". He came from a team with not alot of offensive power or even great players. He hasnt grasped the "teams work as a team" mentality. I see it far too often when he gets the puck that he always tries to muscle his way through traffic only to have the puck poked off his stick or he gets trapped against the boards. If the guy would just use his speed properly and take the time to notice when he outmatches his check then he could probably be a fantastic player. Until he calms down and stops trying to be a one man show then I would like to see him leave.

22481-mortal-kombat-x.jpg

#117 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

I don't think anyone hates him... It's just really tough to justify his salary against one goal of I'm not mistaken and that was an open net goal on a pity pass from lappy...

Really really really hard to justify his salary when for the same amount we could have a player with way more ups vs downs.
Posted Image

#118 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

He's been a dud pick up.

We need to stop trading with Florida.

Didn't you say that about Garrison a couple of months ago?

I would love to see Booth get a chance in the playoffs. He's had a miserable year with injuries and really hasn't had a chance to get his game back.

I would be interested in seeing if he and Roy develop some chemistry. In Fla he had Weiss making some nice plays/passes and did very well. I didn't see any of this with Booth and Kes.

Anyways, if the Nucks are around long enough for Booth to return healthy, I will be very happy. 2nd round and some fresh legs joining the team. Booth will play better against physical teams than many of our other players.

#119 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Didn't you say that about Garrison a couple of months ago?

I would love to see Booth get a chance in the playoffs. He's had a miserable year with injuries and really hasn't had a chance to get his game back.

I would be interested in seeing if he and Roy develop some chemistry. In Fla he had Weiss making some nice plays/passes and did very well. I didn't see any of this with Booth and Kes.

Anyways, if the Nucks are around long enough for Booth to return healthy, I will be very happy. 2nd round and some fresh legs joining the team. Booth will play better against physical teams than many of our other players.

Yes. I said he currently is a bust as it stands. Which was like, 20 games into the season.
Posted Image

#120 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

It was a good trade.

We got a 3rd rnd pick out of it, and unloaded 2 older wingers.

I thought he played well in his first year here. He put up 16 goals, and probably would have hit 20 if he stayed healthy.

In terms of his personality, he seems like a very nice guy. Seems happy and energetic, and well liked by his teammates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.