The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Luongo should get the start from here on

VanNuck

2012 - Quick was a Vezina candidate, why would they bring in a veteran - Schneider is not a Vezina candidate

2010 - Huet was a sieve and everyone knew - Luongo is not

2008 - Osgood, although he isn't Hasek, was a 2-time Jennings Trophy winner, 1-time Vezina finalist, and 2-time Stanley Cup champion (1 as a starter) prior to 2008, and Babcock went to him only after Hasek failed - Schneider has 1 Jennings

2006 - Similarly, Ward was not the 1st choice, as Gerber started the playoffs and lost the first two games against Montreal, and only then did Laviolette turn to a rookie in Ward in desperation - AV also turned to Schneider exactly the way Laviolette did after Luongo lost the first two games - Schneider failed to do what Ward accomplished

1990 - Again, no choice but to start Ranford due to the suspension - Canucks still have a choice of starting Luongo

1989 - Vernon was a Vezina finalist this season, and had already been the the SCF in his rookie season as a starter: in other words, he was already a proven performer by his 3rd season - something Schneider has not yet done

1986 - Yes, that was Patrick Roy - GOAT behind Brodeur - Schneider is not Patrick Roy (give your head a shake)

1971 - anything that dates back this far is a moot point in arguments - the game of hockey has changed drastically since

Schneider supporters are in for a serious letdown.

I can hear it already:

"Calm down its his first playoff as a starter"

"The team couldn't score"

"The defense was atrocious" (despite having a "T1D" in Hamhuis)...

"AV kept juggling lines"

"They didn't have Bieksa, Higgins and Booth"

"Injuries did us in"

... and so on.

If it were Luongo in net though, it would solely be his fault.

Schneider supporters are in for a serious letdown.

I can hear it already:

"Calm down its his first playoff as a starter"

"The team couldn't score"

"The defense was atrocious" (despite having a "T1D" in Hamhuis)...

"AV kept juggling lines"

"They didn't have Bieksa, Higgins and Booth"

"Injuries did us in"

... and so on.

If it were Luongo in net though, it would solely be his fault.

Yea the Canucks are rock solid defensively, it's rare to even have one give away result in a scoring chance during most games. Schneider's stats are certainly inflated from playing on one of the best defensive teams in the league, Ballard, Alberts, Barker.

Gonna be tough for the NHL to decide which gets the Norris.

The cult of Lou is interesting for sure; they remind me of all those Germans in early 1945 that kept saying that the Fuhrer had miracle weapons that would instantly turn the war around for them if only they gave him a bit more time. The SCF was Lou's Stalingrad; it's all going to be downhill from here on in.

I'd say give Cory this playoff run. To see what he's capable of in the post-season.

So far, in his limited outings: had cramps for crying out loud, never really played on his head to steal us a game, and has won only one so far. So yeah, I'm not sold.

I'm really skeptic, but the only way to find out is to try it out.

And if we don't get far, for christ's sake, please don't give out excuses blaming the team in front of him.

So your saying that you expect Schnieder to fail, or are you looking forward to gloating if he does. You should really consider just cheering for the Canucks opponents from here on out. Cory deserves his shot. His play has dictated that he is the starter of this team, whether you like it or not. He has also gone from having a shakey start to being one of the most consistent goalies in the league right now, all that playing with a defence that has been far from spectacular in front of him.

Considering what Schnieder has shown he can do, I would take him over any goalie in the league right now. He is not even close to his full potential yet.

Maybe you think people will react that way because those were the same excuses everyone gave for Luongo. Funny thing is, I have never felt the need to make excuses for Cory.

Is this some obscure form of hipsterism, or something?

I have been a fan of this team for a long time and have never seen a season like this where there are fans that desperately want the rest of us to turn on certain players so much.

It's one thing to like a player over another and another to hope and desire that they are destroyed and we lose.

Cory for not being Lu and Kassian for not being Cody.

I cheer for the team and no single player. If Lu came in and outplayed Cory (he hasn't but did well when needed) then that would be that. I believe Cory is the future, but I would much rather be wrong and win. The actual desire to see Cory fail or get injured so your hero can come in in sickening and I would rather you turn in your Canuck colors at the door for your new team that Lu plays on if that's the case.

Yea the Canucks are rock solid defensively, it's rare to even have one give away result in a scoring chance during most games. Schneider's stats are certainly inflated from playing on one of the best defensive teams in the league, Ballard, Alberts, Barker.

Gonna be tough for the NHL to decide which gets the Norris.

Interesting you say that because so far this year we are averaging 28.7 shots against per game

previous 3 years we averaged over 30 against a game, so yes Schneider's first year as starter the team has been better defensively if they're allowing less shots. Stop trying to protect and make excuses for Schneider he's a big boy he can handle it

The cult of Lou is interesting for sure; they remind me of all those Germans in early 1945 that kept saying that the Fuhrer had miracle weapons that would instantly turn the war around for them if only they gave him a bit more time. The SCF was Lou's Stalingrad; it's all going to be downhill from here on in.

Archived