The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Luongo should get the start from here on

VanNuck

I wouldn't necessarily go with Luongo for the rest of the season, but he deserves a fair chance after CS gave you a pile of goals in the last game. Regardless of the fact the whole team stunk, CS needs to be better than that.

The guy makes a point. What makes Gills think he will get the true value for Luongo sitting on the bench for the rest of the season like a nobody and teams watching?

Not saying play him now all games regardless. Give a game at least coming up and see how he does.

AV does not share your prejudices or 'favourite player syndrome' -- believe it or not, he has the team's best interest at heart. his job depends on it, and surely he knows it.

luongo is done here, and we need to see what schneider can do

_Deal_with_it_dog.gif

Well, Luongo had his chances though, and he does deserve at least part of the blame. 09, game 6, Chicago, Canucks tried their damndest to force 7, scored 5 goals, Lu let in 7. 10, again, Chicago, Lu let in 13 goals over 3 games, and 5 in game 6. 11, Game 6, Lu lets in 3 in the span of 3 minutes, game 7, Canucks try their hardest again to beat Thomas, but Lu lets in 3 on 20 shots. He's had his chances, but he couldn't capitalize, which is why we should give Schneider his shot.

Roberto has had his chances. Perhaps its time to give Cory the opportunity since he has shown he is capable of carrying our team and bringing the same elite level play that Roberto has shown. Cory hasn't got a chance, and maybe now he deserves it, since Roberto has had a few already.

And also what if Cory sits and gets cold? Either way one has to play, and the other is going to get cold.

Basically, Cory has played outstanding, our team MVP so far this year. If that continues, he will start. And deservedly so. If Roberto can uproot Cory (which is quite unlikely at this point) then he will play.

This isn't about playing Luongo so he trade value goes up (which giving him the net in the playoffs won't anyways) its about going with the guy that gives the team the best chance to win, and right now that appears to be Cory.

Which ever goalie plays better at key times in the following games should get starts in the playoffs. The Canucks need to forget about the regular season play and focus on the playoffs, and that goes for all players.

That being said, I say give both goalies a chance over these next huge games against Detroit, Anaheim and Chicago. Whoever comes up with the big saves and big times to help our team win deserves the playoff starts.

This comment pretty much sums up CDC. As long as the Canucks team "tries their best" they are free from blame. Luongo tries his best? Well, sorry Luongo but we want more. Are you implying that Luongo wasn't trying his best and threw the game?

Let's say he saved all the shots Boston threw at him in game 7. What happens? The Canucks couldn't score so the game just goes into overtime and it's likely that we would have lost since the Canucks couldn't find a way to crack Tim Thomas.

i think i've said this before but glassjaw is one of the best posters on this website.

I would actually beg to differ on that. Cory is a very good goalie, but not a team-carrier. At best, I would compare him to let's say a Tom Barasso or a Grant Fuhr, basically a complementary piece goalie on a great team. Luongo, with not only his talent level, but his pedigree, leadership, and winning edge, he has a higher ceiling and is more the centrepiece for what could be a great team (like a Patrick Roy). He just needs to not let his attitude get in the way.

You cant compare players to goalies in this situation. There are 18 player positions on the team and there's only one spot open for goaltenders. That spot goes to the goalie that gives the team the best chance to win. If they could play them both, I'm sure they would. Schneider has also been with this team for a long time and has been brought up through the canucks system. It's not like we just brought him in this year. Schneider is the better goalie, gives us the best chance to win and management could care less about what they're doing to Luongo's trade value right now. They want to win now.

I would actually beg to differ on that. Cory is a very good goalie, but not a team-carrier. At best, I would compare him to let's say a Tom Barasso or a Grant Fuhr, basically a complementary piece goalie on a great team. Luongo, with not only his talent level, but his pedigree, leadership, and winning edge, he has a higher ceiling and is more the centrepiece for what could be a great team (like a Patrick Roy). He just needs to not let his attitude get in the way.

Archived