The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bieksa issues [May not be ready before playoffs]

canuckbeliever

So basically Canucks coaches rode Bieksa hard with an injury so we won some meaningless regular season games - now he's injured and might not start the playoffs.

Good one guys. Before tonight we were 1-5-3 without Bieksa in the lineup (the win against Detroit barely counts as a win in my books). If Kevin Bieksa isn't in our starting lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs, this defence is going to get shredded apart and the Canucks are done in 4 or 5. Doesn't matter who's in net and how well they play, if we get continue to get out-shot and out-chanced 2-1 against non-playoff teams, what chance do we have against the big boys of the league?

The Canucks have faced injuries to forwards all season long and dealt with them admirably by playing solid defence. Now we have injuries to defencemen and we can't play a solid stay-at-home style. AV is trying to open it up and let the forwards carry the game, but that's leaving our AHL defencemen like Ballard, Barker and Alberts vulnerable.

I feel like they haven't learned anything with injuries. AV is the type of coach that throws his players right back into tough minutes as soon as they're medically cleared.

And all that does is make sure the player is only able to play at 70% the whole season because they're never fully healed.

A groin injury is not something you just play through. If not healed properly, it will nag a player all season.

Even with Tanev after he got hit and twisted his ankle, they let him play the rest of the game. What's the point? They probably made his injury even worse by doing that. I feel like this team is way too short-sighted when it comes to these things. Winning now doesn't matter if it hurts our chances to win when it matters.

So basically Canucks coaches rode Bieksa hard with an injury so we won some meaningless regular season games - now he's injured and might not start the playoffs.

Good one guys. Before tonight we were 1-5-3 without Bieksa in the lineup (the win against Detroit barely counts as a win in my books). If Kevin Bieksa isn't in our starting lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs, this defence is going to get shredded apart and the Canucks are done in 4 or 5. Doesn't matter who's in net and how well they play, if we get continue to get out-shot and out-chanced 2-1 against non-playoff teams, what chance do we have against the big boys of the league?

The Canucks have faced injuries to forwards all season long and dealt with them admirably by playing solid defence. Now we have injuries to defencemen and we can't play a solid stay-at-home style. AV is trying to open it up and let the forwards carry the game, but that's leaving our AHL defencemen like Ballard, Barker and Alberts vulnerable.

I feel like they haven't learned anything with injuries. AV is the type of coach that throws his players right back into tough minutes as soon as they're medically cleared.

And all that does is make sure the player is only able to play at 70% the whole season because they're never fully healed.

A groin injury is not something you just play through. If not healed properly, it will nag a player all season.

Even with Tanev after he got hit and twisted his ankle, they let him play the rest of the game. What's the point? They probably made his injury even worse by doing that. I feel like this team is way too short-sighted when it comes to these things. Winning now doesn't matter if it hurts our chances to win when it matters.

OK, so we know Bieksa's been playing with a groin injury going back early in the season. But we are terrible without Bieksa, if he'd stayed out much longer who knows, we could have missed the playoffs. Now we have some time here to let him rest up. Same deal with Tanev, he was playing through whatever was wrong with him for at least a few games, because we need him and Bieksa, they are our most important players because the blueline is weak on that side. I think that except for Booth, the guys who are out are out for rest and maintenance pre-playoffs, not because they absolutely cannot play, if these games were more important they'd be in there.

Typical of Canucks fans to use this situation as another reason to crap on AV. When Kesler came back AV reduced his minutes to 15:30-16:30 with no special teams (except one PP, I think) for a few games till he was in game shape. AV has no control over Bieksa saying he is feeling good and ready to play. Bieksa even said he felt good in an interview after the game... (After he had come back from the groin injury). As for Tanev, Tanev playing the rest of the game was 100% on the medical staff clearing him to play, not on AV. It's not like the medical staff said "he isnt fit to play" and AV went against that and played him... I swear half the people on this forum are so blinded by their hatred for X and Y person that every single post is laden with fallacious and bias thought.

Wow the logic for hate on these boards is quite strong. I'm pretty much indifferent to AV, don't hate him but don't like him. But to blame him because an injured player who says he's ready to play after being cleared by the medical staff is somehow his fault as well? If I came to work with a sore muscle and told my boss I was fine to work and somehow got injured, should I blame my boss? Hell no. It's up to the players who know their pain the best to decide if they should slot back in the line up.

I mean what do you expect AV to get a medical license so he can access his players after the medical staff says they are cleared to play and the player themselves say they are ready to go? Half the players in the NHL are playing injured right now.

it true there is a lot of blindness on this forum, but mostly it is blind love for AV and GMMG. People who eat up and regurgitate their every word as gospel.

This issue of playing injured is the culture that AV has brought to the team.

He has said many times that he listens to his players about when they are ready, however, he called out Hodgson and he called out Kesler, ( 1 rookie and 1 vet) so what is his real message to his players ?

While Bieksa is out of the lineup why not try vandermeer, I am not suggesting hes a saviour but while bieksa is out of the lineup it wouldnt hurt to replace him with some grit. See if he can fill in 6th d minutes come playoff time or if we are getting pushed around we have some guys that will push back

Archived