The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

It's a super competitive field.

Somebody I know applied prior to UBC last year (it was their first choice), and despite having a cumulative GPA of 3.8 and scoring in the 98% percentile of the LSAT (UBC weighs 50/50) they did not get accepted. Granted, there was many other schools that they were accepted into, but they had their hopes set on getting into UBC and not getting in put a pretty big hitch in their plans.

I'm currently majoring in Criminology at SFU, and intend on going to UBC Faculty of Law after I complete my undergrad. Haven't done that well so far (just above a 3.0 GPA), and I know that I am really going to have to buckle down starting my 3rd year next fall.

Well my son is off to UVIC in Sept...his goal is to become a lawyer. He plans to major in political science but from what I have read that leads to no jobs if you do not get into law school.

I just read that UVIC has changed to 50/50 LSAT and GPA for law school admission in 2017

"

1. GPA/LSAT will no longer be weighted 70/30, but rather 50/50. This change attempts to minimize the effects that variability between programs in strength and grade inflation will have on the admissions process. It seems that the Committee is concerned with admitting certain high-GPA, low-LSAT splitters where the GPA is not a reliable indicator due to the applicant's institution or program. "

Any wanna be lawyers here and what advice do you have?

My law degree is from UVic. Highly recommend it - it was a fantastic place. I did my BA in classics at Dalhousie and I also have an MA in Roman history (UVic).

I got into UVic with an LSAT score in the 85th percentile (if I recall correctly) and a BA/MA GPA somewhere between A- and A. I didn't get an entrance scholarship, but I still got in.

Don't believe all the stories about selling your soul when you become a lawyer, becoming a blood-sucker, etc. Sure, there are bad people in the profession - just like any job. But there are lots of opportunities to become a "good" lawyer in every sense of the word. Especially in Canada - lawyers up here are far more 'professional', civilized, and ethical than our southern counterparts (in my opinion).

Well my son is off to UVIC in Sept...his goal is to become a lawyer. He plans to major in political science but from what I have read that leads to no jobs if you do not get into law school.

I just read that UVIC has changed to 50/50 LSAT and GPA for law school admission in 2017

"

1. GPA/LSAT will no longer be weighted 70/30, but rather 50/50. This change attempts to minimize the effects that variability between programs in strength and grade inflation will have on the admissions process. It seems that the Committee is concerned with admitting certain high-GPA, low-LSAT splitters where the GPA is not a reliable indicator due to the applicant's institution or program. "

Any wanna be lawyers here and what advice do you have?

My law degree is from UVic. Highly recommend it - it was a fantastic place. I did my BA in classics at Dalhousie and I also have an MA in Roman history (UVic).

I got into UVic with an LSAT score in the 85th percentile (if I recall correctly) and a BA/MA GPA somewhere between A- and A. I didn't get an entrance scholarship, but I still got in.

Don't believe all the stories about selling your soul when you become a lawyer, becoming a blood-sucker, etc. Sure, there are bad people in the profession - just like any job. But there are lots of opportunities to become a "good" lawyer in every sense of the word. Especially in Canada - lawyers up here are far more 'professional', civilized, and ethical than our southern counterparts (in my opinion).

I work and study at UVIC and I can't believe how many students think / say they're going to be lawyers. It's insane. Every degree seems utterly worthless unto itself (minus a few specialty ones), so the go-to answer is "maybe I'll go to law school! Nothin else goin on!"

Everyone wants to save the world and make a lot of money in the process, it seems.

Boy, are they in for a cruel awakening.

Archived