The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

What I wonder is how law school seems like the 'safe' and appealing alternative so many young students are aiming for, so are Canadian schools going to see how profitable this is and offer more law options? If everyone is willing to spend the money to get a law degree, will Canada be in America's situation soon?

And yeah, I read on a relatively large Canadian law student forum that the average (based on the relatively small sample size) on that forum was about 65-75k in debt, but this was Canada-wide, and obviously a lot of factors alter this. Summer jobs and living with parents seem to be preeeeetty large factors.

Many law school graduates do not practise law, they go on to any number other careers in Canada.

Unlike the US a graduate must obtain an articling position and then write the bar admission exams. It acts like self-regulating cap

In the US you can write the bar exams right after law school and hang your shingle out.

Well my son is off to UVIC in Sept...his goal is to become a lawyer. He plans to major in political science but from what I have read that leads to no jobs if you do not get into law school.

I just read that UVIC has changed to 50/50 LSAT and GPA for law school admission in 2017

"

1. GPA/LSAT will no longer be weighted 70/30, but rather 50/50. This change attempts to minimize the effects that variability between programs in strength and grade inflation will have on the admissions process. It seems that the Committee is concerned with admitting certain high-GPA, low-LSAT splitters where the GPA is not a reliable indicator due to the applicant's institution or program. "

Any wanna be lawyers here and what advice do you have?

It's a super competitive field.

Somebody I know applied prior to UBC last year (it was their first choice), and despite having a cumulative GPA of 3.8 and scoring in the 98% percentile of the LSAT (UBC weighs 50/50) they did not get accepted. Granted, there was many other schools that they were accepted into, but they had their hopes set on getting into UBC and not getting in put a pretty big hitch in their plans.

I'm currently majoring in Criminology at SFU, and intend on going to UBC Faculty of Law after I complete my undergrad. Haven't done that well so far (just above a 3.0 GPA), and I know that I am really going to have to buckle down starting my 3rd year next fall.

Even in Vancouver it takes about 5 years call to hit the 100,000 per year mark on average and the earnings are much less outside of Vancouver. And recently earnings have dropped.

If you are with one of the big national Vancouver firms (a small percentage of practising lawyers in BC) then you will make much more but there are a lot of lawyers making between $50,000 and $75,000 per year.

You have to consider the amount of hours that a lawyer works to earn their income. 60 to 80 hours per week is the norm which is why many lawyers end up working as prosecutors or government lawyers or go on to other careers - keeps the hours manageable. My usual workday was 12 hours per day M-F and around 10 hours on a weekends. And I also did a lot of business travel.

As one of my law profs cautioned us on the first day of law school - the practise of law suits compulsive workaholics. The burn out rate is very high and it is pure hell on personal relationships. I worked for large downtown firm for several years and of the 80 or so lawyers in the firm there were only a handful not on a second, third or even fourth marriage. One of my closest friends going back to my undergrad days is an addictions counsellor and he has a disproportionate number of lawyers as clients. Law is a tough slog because in effect what you do assume your clients' problems..

Also if you are running your own firm you have employees and overhead and managing the business cuts into the amount of billable hours...

Many reasons there is high drop put rate in the profession in the fist five years after call. A lot of people cannot handle the pressure. Some thrive on it.

Me I loved it and but for my medical issues i would happily be doing the job today.

Archived