The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

Lawyers are bound to represent their clients to the utmost of their skill and abilities but within the limits set out in the lawyer's Code of Professional Conduct for British Columbia . To do otherwise subjects a lawyer to discipline.

http://www.lawsociet...ble-of-Contents

If you have encountered a lawyer acting contrary to those conduct requirements then file a complaint:

http://www.lawsociet...25&t=Complaints

And unlike many other professions such as teachers, police, nurses, etc. discipline proceedings and rulings are generally a matter of public record and are maintained in a searchable database.

Well my son is off to UVIC in Sept...his goal is to become a lawyer. He plans to major in political science but from what I have read that leads to no jobs if you do not get into law school.

I just read that UVIC has changed to 50/50 LSAT and GPA for law school admission in 2017

"

1. GPA/LSAT will no longer be weighted 70/30, but rather 50/50. This change attempts to minimize the effects that variability between programs in strength and grade inflation will have on the admissions process. It seems that the Committee is concerned with admitting certain high-GPA, low-LSAT splitters where the GPA is not a reliable indicator due to the applicant's institution or program. "

Any wanna be lawyers here and what advice do you have?

I'm in big favor of moving towards weighting standardized testing more than GPA. Standardized testing isn't perfect, but grades are too subjective these days. They've become virtually meaningless. And yes, some programs are easier than others. I did a BIology degree and did many electives in liberal arts. My Bio classes had B- averages. My liberal arts classes had B+ averages. Also many of the liberal arts students in programs like Sociology had flunked out of other programs.

Poli Sci and History are fairly intensive, as both programs contain substantial volume. However, programs like Sociology, Antropology, Psychology, etc.. truly are easier than other programs. If you're looking to pad your GPA, those are the way to go.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend picking a major just to pad GPA. Your son might decide he does not want to be a lawyer. He might be bad at writing LSATs, and not get accepted despite a solid GPA. I know people in both situations. I'd advise taking a program that leaves as many doors open as possible.

I wrapped up my degree in International Studies last August at Simon Fraser University and had originally intended on going to law school at the outset of going to university. I slowly realized throughout getting my degree that going to law school and becoming a lawyer was not for me. I know that I don't want to have $150,000 in debt and be a slave to that for a couple of decades, or work six days a week, 10 hours a day, working a mind-numbing boring job being a paper monkey for people all because I would make "good money". Have your son read this article: http://www.huffingto..._b_2713943.html, hopefully it will open his eyes to the reality of what he thinks he wants to do.

I wrapped up my degree in International Studies last August at Simon Fraser University and had originally intended on going to law school at the outset of going to university. I slowly realized throughout getting my degree that going to law school and becoming a lawyer was not for me. I know that I don't want to have $150,000 in debt and be a slave to that for a couple of decades, or work six days a week, 10 hours a day, working a mind-numbing boring job being a paper monkey for people all because I would make "good money". Have your son read this article: http://www.huffingto..._b_2713943.html, hopefully it will open his eyes to the reality of what he thinks he wants to do.

That is a pretty good article although it is talking about the American legal market and not Canada's.

The biggest difference is the debt of law school. In the US it can get up to $150k but that is nothing like even the most expensive program here in Canada. UofT is the most expensive (and competitive) which is at roughly 26-28k a year (for three years). For other law schools it ranges from 10k-18k a year in Canada.

The other major difference is that our legal market is nowhere near as saturated as the US. We have almost half as many lawyers per person than our southern counterparts:

http://www2.macleans...n-you-need-one/

"Here, there’s about one lawyer or notary for every 421 people. In the U.S., it’s one lawyer for every 265 people."

I also don't think firms expect as many hours from lawyers than in the US but that is just speculation and I have nothing to back it up. Maybe Wetcoaster could comment?

That is a pretty good article although it is talking about the American legal market and not Canada's.

The biggest difference is the debt of law school. In the US it can get up to $150k but that is nothing like even the most expensive program here in Canada. UofT is the most expensive (and competitive) which is at roughly 26-28k a year (for three years). For other law schools it ranges from 10k-18k a year in Canada.

The other major difference is that our legal market is nowhere near as saturated as the US. We have almost half as many lawyers per person than our southern counterparts:

http://www2.macleans...n-you-need-one/

"Here, there’s about one lawyer or notary for every 421 people. In the U.S., it’s one lawyer for every 265 people."

I also don't think firms expect as many hours from lawyers than in the US but that is just speculation and I have nothing to back it up. Maybe Wetcoaster could comment?

Wetcoaster do you think you could just direct people with a link rather than spamming the board with page after page of cut and paste walls of text written by other people that are not even on the topic of the op. Thanks.

Plus using your own words and thoughts, or lack there of, lets us get a better sense of the real you.

Archived