Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
220 replies to this topic

#211 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Strata companies exist with or without lawyers. As do crotchety neighbours. Equal access to lawyers is definitely a problem. However, without any lawyers, people with more money would still have access to greater influence and greater educational resources...the world is just kind of unfair that way. That being said, in the case of a dispute with your neighbour, there are various services where you can find volunteer lawyers to represent poor clients. I personally volunteer several hours a week to Pro-Bono. That being said, access to justice...and well everything else is a problem the poor face, and I agree more need to be done to rectify that.

We recently went through extensive public consultation process to change how disputes in strata properties are settled. A tribunal system is be set up.
http://www.housing.g...ataProperty.pdf

On March 15, 2013 Cheryl Vickers, a classmate from law school, was appointed as acting Chair of the Civil Resolution Tribunal to get the system operational.
http://www2.news.gov...0088-000515.htm

Civil Resolution Tribunal Act

British Columbia’s new Civil Resolution Tribunal Act received Royal Assent May 31, 2012. The act establishes a new dispute resolution and adjudicative body, the Civil Resolution Tribunal, which has authority to hear some strata property disputes and, where the parties agree, small claims matters.

It is anticipated the Civil Resolution Tribunal Act will come fully into force and the tribunal will begin operations in 2014.

The new Civil Resolution Tribunal will provide an alternative to the traditional dispute resolution services of the B.C. Provincial Court’s small claims division. The tribunal will be structured to encourage people to use a broad range of non-litigation based dispute resolution tools to resolve their disputes as early as possible, while still preserving adjudication as a valued last resort. It is intended, as with the recently enacted Family Law Act, to encourage a collaborative, problem-solving approach to dispute resolution, rather than the traditional adversarial litigation model.

The Civil Resolution Tribunal will draw on proven technology and combine it with the flexibility, case management and dispute resolution strengths demonstrated by British Columbia’s administrative justice system.

Jurisdiction

The act provides the Civil Resolution Tribunal authority to handle:

• small claims disputes where the parties decide to take the matter to the tribunal instead of the court, up to a maximum value of $25,000 for:
    • debt or damages;
    • recovery of personal property;
    • specific performance of an agreement relating to personal property or services; or
    • relief from opposing claims to personal property.
  • strata disputes between owners of strata properties and strata corporations for a wide variety of matters such as:
    • non-payment of monthly strata fees or fines;
    • unfair actions by the strata corporation or by people owning more than half of the strata lots in a complex;
    • uneven, arbitrary or non-enforcement of strata bylaws (such as noise, pets, parking, rentals);
    • issues of financial responsibility for repairs and the choice of bids for services;
    • irregularities in the conduct of meetings, voting, minutes or other matters;
    • interpretation of the legislation, regulations or bylaws; and
    • issues regarding the common property.

The tribunal will not decide tribunal matters that affect land, such as:
  • ordering the sale of a strata lot;
  • court orders respecting rebuilding damaged real property;
  • dealing with developers and phased strata plans;
  • determining each owners’ per cent share in the strata complex (the “Schedule of Unit Entitlement”).

Such matters will continue to be heard in the Supreme Court, as will the following matters relating to significant matters in a strata complex:
  • appointment of an administrator to run the strata corporation;
  • orders vesting authority in a liquidator;
  • applications to wind up a strata corporation;
  • allegations of conflicts of interest by council members; or
  • appointment of voters when there is no person to vote in respect of a strata lot.

How the Civil Resolution Tribunal Will Work

The Civil Resolution Tribunal will offer services designed to encourage early resolution of disputes, using the minimum level of tribunal resources necessary to do so. Where formal adjudication of a dispute is required, the tribunal will actively case manage the dispute so that the adjudication is conducted quickly and efficiently. In all cases, the level of resources applied to a dispute will be proportionate to the nature of the dispute and the issues involved.

http://www.ag.gov.bc...l-act/index.htm
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#212 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

I am not trying to compare anything , i am telling you i that i believe lawyers are parasites and the world would be better off if there was a lot less of them.

And i could not give a rats arse if you believe me or not , i have absolutely no respect for you and could care less what you think.

I do not believe you. And it seems with very good reason. Not a surprise.

In fact it appears that you have been running a game here and are being quite deceptive. Again not a surprise based on your past posting history.

I just spoke today with a lawyer who used to practise in Australia until recently, emigrated to Canada and was admitted as Member of the BC Law Society). She tells me that the disciplinary system in Victoria (the state in Australia and not our capital city in BC) is pretty much identical to how things operate here in BC and that in many cases lawyers are disciplined and disbarred by legal counsel from the regulatory body representing aggrieved client's interests (as here in BC). In fact clients filing complaints do not have their own legal counsel except in very rare and limited circumstances as these hearings are handled by counsel employed by the Legal Services Commissioner who has statutory jurisdiction over complaints against lawyers in the state of Victoria.

She directed me to the relevant information about how such complaints are made to and handled by the Legal Services Commissioner... and what a surprise!!!, Those procedures are pretty much spot on what is the case in BC (and most other common law Commonwealth jurisdictions):
http://www.lsc.vic.g...ng-a-complaint/

Please feel free to provide the names of these lawyers that you allege that you took to task and I will check them against the Register of Disciplinary Action database that is maintained by the Victoria Legal Services Board that track such matters. then we can see if your calims actually withstand scrutiny.

Time to put up or shut up, eh?

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#213 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

I do not believe you. And it seems with very good reason. Not a surprise.

In fact it appears that you have been running a game here and are being quite deceptive. Again not a surprise based on your past posting history.

I just spoke today with a lawyer who used to practise in Australia until recently, emigrated to Canada and was admitted as Member of the BC Law Society). She tells me that the disciplinary system in Victoria (the state in Australia and not our capital city in BC) is pretty much identical to how things operate here in BC and that in many cases lawyers are disciplined and disbarred by legal counsel from the regulatory body representing aggrieved client's interests (as here in BC). In fact clients filing complaints do not have their own legal counsel except in very rare and limited circumstances as these hearings are handled by counsel employed by the Legal Services Commissioner who has statutory jurisdiction over complaints against lawyers in the state of Victoria.

She directed me to the relevant information about how such complaints are made to and handled by the Legal Services Commissioner... and what a surprise!!!, Those procedures are pretty much spot on what is the case in BC (and most other common law Commonwealth jurisdictions):
http://www.lsc.vic.g...ng-a-complaint/

Please feel free to provide the names of these lawyers that you allege that you took to task and I will check them against the Register of Disciplinary Action database that is maintained by the Victoria Legal Services Board that track such matters. then we can see if your calims actually withstand scrutiny.

Time to put up or shut up, eh?

I am not allowed to give out details of the case , that was part of the settlement.
And i have not even told you when all this happened , things have changed , we had to take the malfeasant lawyer to the Victorian lawyers Tribunal , now you have to take them to V-Cat , it is a completely different process.
And why should i believe you , you have shown no propensity for the truth.

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#214 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

I am not allowed to give out details of the case , that was part of the settlement.
And i have not even told you when all this happened , things have changed , we had to take the malfeasant lawyer to the Victorian lawyers Tribunal , now you have to take them to V-Cat , it is a completely different process.
And why should i believe you , you have shown no propensity for the truth.

I call BS.

#215 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I call BS.

You can claim anything you like , but lets look at this logically , would i be so passionate about this if what i said happened did not happen

Many nights i had to watch my beautiful girl crying her eyes out , inconsolable , the pain that man brought into our lives was a crime unto itself, i would love to be able to tell you and the whole world the name of the parasite who ripped our family off and caused us much pain and suffering.

You Claimed that your australian lawyer friend said things were the same in canada as in Aus , but when i toid you that in our case we were not actuallly fighting the lawyer we were fighting his insurance company , YOU said this was not the case in Canada.
So what is the truth wetcoaster ?

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#216 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

You can claim anything you like , but lets look at this logically , would i be so passionate about this if what i said happened did not happen

Many nights i had to watch my beautiful girl crying her eyes out , inconsolable , the pain that man brought into our lives was a crime unto itself, i would love to be able to tell you and the whole world the name of the parasite who ripped our family off and caused us much pain and suffering.

You Claimed that your australian lawyer friend said things were the same in canada as in Aus , but when i toid you that in our case we were not actuallly fighting the lawyer we were fighting his insurance company , YOU said this was not the case in Canada.
So what is the truth wetcoaster ?

The person who practised law in Australia also calls BS and I would believe her over someone whose claims have turned to quicksand.

If you were fighting an insurance company then how did you "take down the parasite lawyer"???

Your story changes as soon as it is challenged.

So yup, BS.

#217 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

The person who practised law in Australia also calls BS and I would believe her over someone whose claims have turned to quicksand.

If you were fighting an insurance company then how did you "take down the parasite lawyer"???

Your story changes as soon as it is challenged.

So yup, BS.

You are right as i explained at the time the only real punishment he got was an increase in his insurance premiums and if he does it again he will be disbarred.
And my story has not changed , i still believe that we took that parasite down and have made it really hard for him to be able to sdo this to others .
You with your vested interest in trying to claim that what i am saying is not true will not change the fact that what i have said is true.

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

#218 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

You are right as i explained at the time the only real punishment he got was an increase in his insurance premiums and if he does it again he will be disbarred.
And my story has not changed , i still believe that we took that parasite down and have made it really hard for him to be able to sdo this to others .
You with your vested interest in trying to claim that what i am saying is not true will not change the fact that what i have said is true.

Sure it has changed.

The discussion centred around how lawyers are disciplined by their self-regulating authorities.

Now after all the BS, smoke and mirrors you finally admit that your case had absolutely nothing to do with a lawyer being disciplined by his professional body because had the lawyer in fact been disciplined his name would be on the database... and that goes back a number of years including the prior regulatory regime according to an actual expert on Australian law.

As I said BS.

#219 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Sure it has changed.

The discussion centred around how lawyers are disciplined by their self-regulating authorities.

Now after all the BS, smoke and mirrors you finally admit that your case had absolutely nothing to do with a lawyer being disciplined by his professional body because had the lawyer in fact been disciplined his name would be on the database... and that goes back a number of years including the prior regulatory regime according to an actual expert on Australian law.

As I said BS.

What i am saying is that a lawyer ripped our family off , after years of fighting his insurance company we managed to get some compensation and if he does to others what he did to us he will be disbarred. THIS IS A FACT.

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

#220 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

What i am saying is that a lawyer ripped our family off , after years of fighting his insurance company we managed to get some compensation and if he does to others what he did to us he will be disbarred. THIS IS A FACT.

And that is something completely different from what was being discussed in detail regarding how lawyers are regulated and disciplined by their own profession.

And your FACTS have proved malleable and unreliable throughout. We refer to it as moving the goalposts here in Canada.

If your new claim was true then there would be a public discipline record because it is only the regulatory body that would have the jurisdiction to issue such a caution because no one else has the statutory authority to disbar a lawyer. That is true in Australia and it is true in BC.

I still call BS. You lied and have been caught out.

But keep going... you are digging yourself in deeper and deeper

Edited by Wetcoaster, 23 April 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#221 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

And that is something completely different from what was being discussed in detail regarding how lawyers are regulated and disciplined by their own profession.

And your FACTS have proved malleable and unreliable throughout. We refer to it as moving the goalposts here in Canada.

If your new claim was true then there would be a public discipline record because it is only the regulatory body that would have the jurisdiction to issue such a caution because no one else has the statutory authority to disbar a lawyer. That is true in Australia and it is true in BC.

I still call BS. You lied and have been caught out.

But keep going... you are digging yourself in deeper and deeper.

http://www.ozvpm.com...ing_hole001.jpg

I have not lied wetcoaster , what i have said is true and you can make all the claims you want but that will not change the the fact that what i have said is true.
Please keep posting you are showing CDC exactly what lawyers do , cause pain and suffering for others.

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.