The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

So you've talked to all of the lawyers? And you've also polled everyone for their opinion of lawyers?

You accuse Wetcoaster of making claims without evidence (claims which, by the way, I am happy to endorse as a fellow member of the profession), yet you do this yourself.

So you've talked to all of the lawyers? And you've also polled everyone for their opinion of lawyers?

You accuse Wetcoaster of making claims without evidence (claims which, by the way, I am happy to endorse as a fellow member of the profession), yet you do this yourself.

it seems the irony of his position has escaped his ken along with any discernible logic.

When one has been involved in the BC legal profession for 30 years, it has currency as it is personal knowledge coupled with expertise.

And certainly more than a person with no legal expertise in BC and some limited anecdotal evidence in a foreign jurisdiction.

At least one of you was intelligent enough to see what i was doing and call me on it , it went straight over wets head.

I was mocking him by making a statement that had no factual basis , something he did.

Tell me mate , why do so many people have a negative opinion of lawyers ?

At least one of you was intelligent enough to see what i was doing and call me on it , it went straight over wets head.

I was mocking him by making a statement that had no factual basis , something he did.

Tell me mate , why do so many people have a negative opinion of lawyers ?

It didn't go over his head - he simply didn't bother responding to your inane, futile arguments. Why I did is beyond me - maybe I wanted to give myself a headache?

If you want to know why many people have a negative opinion of lawyers, here's what I think: some lawyers in some areas of practice are unfairly prejudiced because people confuse clients with lawyers. Remember, lawyers are in the service industry: we carry out the requests of our customers. The lawyers may be the face of the battle, but the clients are the ones picking the fights, choosing the stances, and ultimately calling the shots. As lawyers, we can advise on the best course of action, but, at the end of the day, the client decides what we do.

So, I'd suggest that you instead focus on clients as "the problem", not lawyers. If we didn't have so many people wanting to sue over this or that, pursue silly or frivolous actions, etc., lawyers would attract far less attention and would have a far better reputation.

Maybe to preserve INTEGRITY the lawyers should be smart enough to TELL the client that they are being silly or frivolous instead of taking the case and collecting their paycheck. Of course that would never be an option, considering the lack of integrity to start with.

First, clients don't "press charges" in Canada. You're confusing criminal actions, in which the accused is charged with a crime, with civil actions, in which one party initiates an action (or "sues") another party.

Second, no, you'll find that very rarely does a truly frivolous case make it out of the lawyer's office. A lawyer should not proceed with a case that he knows has no merits, since it's a waste of everyone's time and money. But, of course, if you have specific examples to the contrary, please share them.

Finally, It seems that your view of the legal system is based primarily on the popular image of the American system and its portrayal in TV courtroom dramas. In order to gain a better understanding of the legal system in Canada, I'd suggest that: (1) you stop watching those shows, and (2) you do some research into our legal system.

Why don't you go down to your local courthouse and watch some trials? Then you'll truly see how lawyers carry themselves. You'll find that, unlike on American TV (and, indeed, many real American courtrooms), Canadian lawyers by and large act with the utmost civility and integrity, right down to what we call the opposing lawyer ("friend").

It didn't go over his head - he simply didn't bother responding to your inane, futile arguments. Why I did is beyond me - maybe I wanted to give myself a headache?

If you want to know why many people have a negative opinion of lawyers, here's what I think: some lawyers in some areas of practice are unfairly prejudiced because people confuse clients with lawyers. Remember, lawyers are in the service industry: we carry out the requests of our customers. The lawyers may be the face of the battle, but the clients are the ones picking the fights, choosing the stances, and ultimately calling the shots. As lawyers, we can advise on the best course of action, but, at the end of the day, the client decides what we do.

So, I'd suggest that you instead focus on clients as "the problem", not lawyers. If we didn't have so many people wanting to sue over this or that, pursue silly or frivolous actions, etc., lawyers would attract far less attention and would have a far better reputation.

Archived