Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Ebbett in the Play-offs is a scary thought...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#61 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Complaining about Ebbett is overdone.
The guy has been a good role player in the absence of a lot of regulars off the roster.

He's been used primarily in defensive zone start situations (getting only 37.4% offensive zone starts).
As a depth forward, playing with other depth forwards in that context, his 6 points in 25 games is really not bad, and being a mere -1 is actually somewhat impressive. His corsi is in the same range as players like Weise and Lapierre.
For all the useless qualities the OP lists, somehow Ebbett is managing to pretty much hold his own. He's actually a fairly intelligent, responsible depth option for AV. I don't like seeing him used as a center - he's not strong enough in the faceoff circle - and he doesn't generate and drive possession - but as a second center on the fourth line (and a backup left handed draw for Lapierre), he's nowhere near as terrible as is being suggested here - he works hard and he does not hurt the team. In fact he's played 25 games in which the Canucks have pretty much gained as many positive results as could be hoped for considering all the absences from the lineup this season.
I think this is a case of protesting too much.

But if people can't blame Ebbett, Ballard, Barker, Alberts, Pinizotto, and Wiese then they might have to actually face the hard truth - that it is the core players of this team and the coaching staff's attitude toward putting in a solid 60 minute effort that are the REAL problem, not the depth guys. Those depth guys for the most part are actually the ones who are working the hardest even though they have the least skill.

That pisses me off more about the country club atmosphere of the guys who DO have the talent.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 22 April 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#62 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Ebbett in the Nhl is a scary thought .. :(

#63 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

Cut the guy a break.

Half you morons decide on your flavours of the month/season then spend most of your time, ignoring the game while scrutinising the players you dislike for faults.

I'm no huge fan of Ebbett but he gives 100% when he's on the ice and that is all that matters.

As for the ass clown who calls Raymond bad, he has 6 more points than Higgins and 3 less than Hansen while playing most of his games recently with Ebbett and Kassian. I suggest even Hank would struggle with these two in attack. As for back checking Hank would be lost whereas Raymond's speed allows him to spend half his time covering for Ebbett and Kassian's poor defence.

Edited by Bodee, 22 April 2013 - 04:09 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#64 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Oh man if only Booth, Higgins, and Malholtra were healthy :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Cut the guy a break.

Half you morons decide on your flavours of the month/season then spend most of your time, ignoring the game while scrutinising the players you dislike for faults.

I'm no huge fan of Ebbett but he gives 100% when he's on the ice and that is all that matters.

As for the ass clown who calls Raymond bad, he has 6 more points than Higgins and 3 less than Hansen while playing most of his games recently with Ebbett and Kassian. I suggest even Hank would struggle with these two in attack. As for back checking Hank would be lost whereas Raymond's speed allows him to spend half his time covering for Ebbett and Kassian's poor defence.

No, I actually watch the games very objectively. Ebbett actually stands out when he screws up. Losing board battles, missing chances in the offensive zone, failing to create or receive a pass...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#66 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ebbett is a minor leaguer pure and simple. Thanks to MG having traded away boatloads of traft picks this is the result we're left with.

#67 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

He's not a bad depth guy when you have a bunch of injuries, which we do. Deal with it.
Posted Image

#68 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Now that the Wolves are out, how come Schroeder isn't getting the call?

#69 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

He had that good first game then AV decided to juggle that line.

nice sig
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#70 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think Ebbett plays a solid defensive game but the offensive zone is another story. I know he is trying to play it safe to stay on the team but every time he has the puck in the offensive zone, he just keeps it along the boards or he passes it to open space so there is no chance for the other team to go the other way on a rush but this also kills any offensive pressure we build up.

It's like he is so scared to make a mistake that he will only make the safe choice. The game against St. Louis on a three on two rush, he decides to dump it behind their net and chase instead of making something happen on an odd man rush. That to me is playing way too safe.

Edited by DooBie604, 22 April 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#71 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Cut the guy a break.

I think you and I have actually argued about Raymond in the past. This year, he was able to change my mind somewhat.

However, he HAS disappeared the last number of games. He's not a checker, he's a secondary scorer, and he's not doing that. The problem, in my opinion, is that his game is suffering BECAUSE he has a bad playmaking center. Ebbett is 100% bringing down Raymond's game right now. Raymond needs to get going, for the betterment of the team. Ebbett is not accomplishing this with him.

Hansen as well has cooled off.

The Ebbett experiment needs to stop, and Schroeder needs to be back and reunited with Raymond, and preferably Hansen. Give the third line an actual identity and this team is going to be MUCH more successful (like it actually was at certain times in the season when... Raymond and Hansen were playing with playmakers).

Don't punish the guys who helped get us to the Playoffs by making them play with a plug centre. Get them back with someone who they've had chemistry with.

#72 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Actually you should thank Burke and Nonis for this as any draft picks MG would have had wouldn't make that much of an impact right now. Burke and Nonis each gave away way more draft picks than MG.

Ebbett is a minor leaguer pure and simple. Thanks to MG having traded away boatloads of traft picks this is the result we're left with.

#73 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,334 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

He's a depth forward and he'll score the cup winning goal in the 3rd overtime of Game 7.

:bigblush:

#74 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

There are better options in the system than Ebbett as a 4th liner.

So you honestly think pinizzotto or sestito are better choices then ebbett for a 4th liner? you got to be kidding although sestito and pinizzotto may bodycheck once in awhile and fight every 5-10 games they or no way near ebbett skillwise. I agree that ebbett does not fit a 3rd line role by any means but he is a perfect 4th line winger at best mainly because he can score and forecheck better then sestito or pinizzotto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr0jKCsd7W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJuVfbhR244
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWICI9B4Ppg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghRjIGxjWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q4rtlBEfyI

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.