The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Red Wings 1-2 Canucks

JE14

This team is STILL in denial. I am starting to question Henrik's leadership if he really believes this team played well tonight.

As for injuries, losers whine about them while winners just overcome them by putting their depth guys and young players in a position to succeed and play with confidence. Bieksa and Tanev are not Erik Karlsson. This team can and should be able to survive without either of them or both. The fact that they complain so much about how tough it is without them is a testament to ineffectual coaching strategies that cannot adjust to make up for it and inexplicable management for not bringing in any other right handed D. I mean, are the Canucks really that bad at considering that maybe Tanev (who gets stapled to the boards a lot) and Bieksa nursing a groin injury might be injured at the same time at some point?

This team better hope goaltending can win a lot of 1-0 games in the playoffs. But honestly its time for a new strategy and system. This one is stale and the players don't even care anymore let alone the coaching staff or management.

Change the team motto to, "We are all hoping."

I remember much further back than that. We could sure use some of the heart and soul of our previous runs to the cup. That's what's lacking from most of this group. THey have the talent but just don't leave it on the ice often enough. They struggle to play a full 60 almost every single game.

It's not about the playoff position they'e attained. It's the underachievement of this group. This is the most talented group of players the organization has ever had and they are simply not playing good hockey. THey are fortunate to have stellar goaltending or they would not likely be in a playoff spot this year.

That is hard to accept for a team that has a mature, talented core like the Nucks.

This team is STILL in denial. I am starting to question Henrik's leadership if he really believes this team played well tonight.

As for injuries, losers whine about them while winners just overcome them by putting their depth guys and young players in a position to succeed and play with confidence. Bieksa and Tanev are not Erik Karlsson. This team can and should be able to survive without either of them or both. The fact that they complain so much about how tough it is without them is a testament to ineffectual coaching strategies that cannot adjust to make up for it and inexplicable management for not bringing in any other right handed D. I mean, are the Canucks really that bad at considering that maybe Tanev (who gets stapled to the boards a lot) and Bieksa nursing a groin injury might be injured at the same time at some point?

This team better hope goaltending can win a lot of 1-0 games in the playoffs. But honestly its time for a new strategy and system. This one is stale and the players don't even care anymore let alone the coaching staff or management.

Change the team motto to, "We are all hoping."

Not to worry...Captain Hank says this was the best game they've played in weeks. That sure gives me confidence heading into the playoffs...I mean, if you can amass 14 shots per game, 4 of them at even strength, you're giving yourself a pretty good chance of winning, right?!!

Couldn't agree more with all of this. It's not about the actual players, it's about the culture. If hockey was played on paper, damn right this team would have won a Cup by now. But it's played on the ice, where other things like grit, leadership and determination matter. They say a team's leaders have a trickle down effect and unfortunately some of the worst qualities you can have when competing for the toughest trophy in sports are trickling down from the captain.

Look at Daniel and how he was just taking those cross checks from Franzen. Look at how he had his head down and was holding Franzen's leg, begging for mercy. Is that the kind of player we want leading our team in the pursuit of the Stanley Cup?

FYI.. we don't need grit on the 3rd line.. we didn't lose in the playoffs any year because of lack of grit. .we lost because we didn't score. This year will be no different unless our goalies stand on their heads and we win 1-0 all the time. It didn't have to be this way.

I remember much further back than that. We could sure use some of the heart and soul of our previous runs to the cup. That's what's lacking from most of this group. THey have the talent but just don't leave it on the ice often enough. They struggle to play a full 60 almost every single game.

It's not about the playoff position they'e attained. It's the underachievement of this group. This is the most talented group of players the organization has ever had and they are simply not playing good hockey. THey are fortunate to have stellar goaltending or they would not likely be in a playoff spot this year.

That is hard to accept for a team that has a mature, talented core like the Nucks.

Didn't want to revive an old thread to talk about it, but this was my second game this season and first time hearing The Catalyst by Linkin Park as the opening. This particular edit with the air raid siren actually sounded really good as an intro. Nothing can replace U2 for me, but this was pretty damn good too.

Anyways, as for the actual game... Barring a miracle by Schneider, I don't think this team makes it out of the first round. A win is a win and that's great, but this was just a bad, bad hockey game. More and more I'm starting to believe the window is shut on this group and it won't open again until the next wave (Kassian, Jensen, Corrado, etc.) are fully contributing members of the team.

He got knocked down to the ice and from there could have at least tried to get back up or at least tried to shove Franzen away. He literally just knelt there holding Franzen's leg doing nothing while Franzen repeatedly cross checked him. It's called battle. Who cares if the Canucks got a powerplay? If you're a leader, how are you going to rally the troops in a tough grind like the NHL playoffs when you do stuff like that? It's embarrassing.

You don't get it. This isn't about being physical. This is about standing up for yourself. People throw out junk like "Well the Canucks got a powerplay" and "Well the Sedins aren't physical" like it's justification for just standing there and letting someone repeatedly strike them.

I saw a few good, clean hits tonight against Detroit and none of them were by Kassian, our supposed physical presence.

Pinozotto has one

Edler had a great one on Franzen I believe!

Weise had one (on Datsyuk)

Kesler had one (on Datsyuk again)

That's what you have to do to good players like Datsyuk, unless you're more skilled than him and basically nobody on the Canucks is.

All I saw Kassian do was get poke-checked at the Detroit line...Sigh. Pathetic. Doesn't even try to throw a hit. Oh and he was on the second line tonight, 13:19 TOI and did nothing. So what's his excuse this game? He was playing with Kes and MayRay....

I saw a few good, clean hits tonight against Detroit and none of them were by Kassian, our supposed physical presence.

Pinozotto has one

Edler had a great one on Franzen I believe!

Weise had one (on Datsyuk)

Kesler had one (on Datsyuk again)

That's what you have to do to good players like Datsyuk, unless you're more skilled than him and basically nobody on the Canucks is.

All I saw Kassian do was get poke-checked at the Detroit line...Sigh. Pathetic. Doesn't even try to throw a hit. Oh and he was on the second line tonight, 13:19 TOI and did nothing. So what's his excuse this game? He was playing with Kes and MayRay....

Archived