The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Red Wings 1-2 Canucks

JE14

Congrats boys on making the dance-now time to pull up your socks!

Gotta hope Clb & Dallas beat SJSharks, tomorrow & Tuesday. StL faces weaker teams over next 3 games, would like them to face LA in #4/5 seedings. Those two teams are better left 'til later, after they've beaten on each other. Much prefer to face Minny or SJ.

Is nobody going to thank the refs for the 5 on 3 which ultimately resulted in our only goal? Without that we lose 1-0. With Lou in net we lose 6-0. Schneider is IT and IF we go anywhere in the playoffs it will be because he is our MVP. I'm predicting we actually win a round thanks to Cory and then we get stomped in the next. Probably won't be pretty.

Nothing dumb about his post. Do you see us score much this season? its no fluke that the Canucks won the Presidents Trophy last year with Hodgson in the line up most of the year. True vision and playmaking is hard to find whereas players like Kassian are a dime a dozen. Coho may have wanted to leave, we dont know the full story (so dont say for sure that we had to trade him), but if he did want to go, Gillis did not do a good enough job with only bringing Kassian here.

As for Grabner, i think it was clear this kid had skill. I was against losing him at the time. He may not have gotten the ice time to prove himself as much as he does with the Isles now, but we would be a real scoring threat throughout our line up with both him and Coho there.

I dont buy the toughness argument either. A team full of skill will beat a team full of plugs everytime. Ideally you can have a bit of both, so then get some toughness for the 4th line. Not hard to find those players. Coho and Grabner on the other hand....

I'm surprised Cory didn't let in 4-5 goals, seems to be his trend lately. This guy is SO inconsistent. He goes 10 games with shutout after shutout then just loses a whole stack of games in a row, and let's in bad goals, and a whole bunch of em per game. I don't care what anybody says, Luongo is way more consistent than that. He's only had ONE bad game all season. We will all be sorry when Lu leaves town during the summer and we're left with Schneider the Question.

Nothing dumb about his post. Do you see us score much this season? its no fluke that the Canucks won the Presidents Trophy last year with Hodgson in the line up most of the year. True vision and playmaking is hard to find whereas players like Kassian are a dime a dozen. Coho may have wanted to leave, we dont know the full story (so dont say for sure that we had to trade him), but if he did want to go, Gillis did not do a good enough job with only bringing Kassian here.

As for Grabner, i think it was clear this kid had skill. I was against losing him at the time. He may not have gotten the ice time to prove himself as much as he does with the Isles now, but we would be a real scoring threat throughout our line up with both him and Coho there.

I dont buy the toughness argument either. A team full of skill will beat a team full of plugs everytime. Ideally you can have a bit of both, so then get some toughness for the 4th line. Not hard to find those players. Coho and Grabner on the other hand....

Raymond + Kesler has not worked for the last 3 seasons and they're proven to work on separate lines. I think raymond has more chances playing on the 3rd with roy or schroeder if he comes up and hansen on the other end.

I'm surprised Cory didn't let in 4-5 goals, seems to be his trend lately. This guy is SO inconsistent. He goes 10 games with shutout after shutout then just loses a whole stack of games in a row, and let's in bad goals, and a whole bunch of em per game. I don't care what anybody says, Luongo is way more consistent than that. He's only had ONE bad game all season. We will all be sorry when Lu leaves town during the summer and we're left with Schneider the Question.

I remember much further back than that. We could sure use some of the heart and soul of our previous runs to the cup. That's what's lacking from most of this group. THey have the talent but just don't leave it on the ice often enough. They struggle to play a full 60 almost every single game.

It's not about the playoff position they'e attained. It's the underachievement of this group. This is the most talented group of players the organization has ever had and they are simply not playing good hockey. THey are fortunate to have stellar goaltending or they would not likely be in a playoff spot this year.

That is hard to accept for a team that has a mature, talented core like the Nucks.

In a sentence, I am officially predicting that the Vancouver Canucks will MISS the playoffs in 2013.

Here's why:

-Goaltending fiasco. Don't care about PC responses from the players or the GM, this will be a major distraction that will have an adverse effect on team morale. Awkward locker room. Poor allocation of cap dollars. I've said for a long time that the Canucks really missed the boat by not trading Schneider for something that could've seriously helped up in a Cup run last year, and it will for a long time be a regret of ours, IMO. Whatever we get for Luongo will be unexciting and we'll still have a relatively unproven goalie backstopping an alleged "team built to win now". Not a good combination.

-Complacency. Why didn't anybody go to Europe? Practicing with the UBC team is hardly an adequate preparation for the season. Makes me think that this bunch has largely lost their hunger. A 5-game post-season exit last year adds credence to this thought. By not going to Europe/Russia, the message in essence is that they'd rather stay in their posh Vancouver homes than be bothered to go try and compete to help stay sharp. Not a good sign. Of course, this doesn't include everybody, but the vast majority of the team chose to not play hockey in the downtime. I expect it to cost them.

-Calgary has gotten better. Added good scoring depth in Hudler, and late-season acquisition Cammalleri. Got rid of Jokinen, which is addition by subtraction. Got a proven PP QB in Wideman. Most importantly, a new coach. Would not surprise me at all to see the Flames win the division, somewhat like the Canucks did in '06-'07, out of nowhere and under AV's rookie year behind the bench.

-Edmonton has gotten better. Justin Schultz is going to be a star. I like the Fistric acquisition a lot. Dubnyk was very good at the Spengler Cup. Heavy momentum going into the year. Key guys are already in mid-season form.

-Minnesota has gotten better. Granlund, Parise, & Suter should all have an immediate and material impact.

David Booth's injury announcement yesterday just makes me more confident that this is one of those years where essentially everything's going to go wrong for the Canucks. the Jason Garrison signing is also one that I was/am vehemently against. Don't expect it to turn out good. Sami Salo's presence on the back end will be sorely missed.

And no, I am not "hating", so please don't suggest that I am. This is an opinion of mine that I am fully entitled to. Feel free to debate and/or include your own prediction.

/topic/338398-the-tide-has-turned-in-vancouver-a-prediction/#entry11065503">http://forum.canucks.../#entry11065503 of the BS

Absolutely terrible game by everyone except Garrison and Schneider. Say what you want about Detroit, they're a non-playoff team right now and they embarassed us. Nearly outshot us 3-1 and out-chanced us as well.

Jason Garrison played a mammoth game for the Canucks once again - he is by far our best defenceman, if not our MVP, and no one is giving him the credit he deserves. Defensively, this guy is a stud in front of our own net. I'm always watching him clear the crease with ease, and he has a nasty streak to him that the Canucks have missed since Mitchell left. Thank god for Garrison, because without him this team is not a playoff team and the defence REALLY would have fallen apart. That's not even to mention the half a dozen scoring chances he created.

Alberts had a strong game as well, as did Barker who was throwing great passes up the ice all night long.

Up front, our forwards couldn't muster any offence up. Everyone was invisible, save for Burrows and Hansen on a couple of "chances" that didn't even make it on net.

Blame fatigue, blame lack of motivation, but performances like this against the 9th seed is a joke.

As for Schneider, I said a while ago that whoever comes up with clutch saves at key times in games deserves to be our starting goalie for the playoffs, and Schneider made some huge saves late in the game, as well as in overtime which is what you need in the playoffs. This was one game against a terrible offence though (Detroit have really struggled offensively of late so don't look too much into this) - I will judge his entire season based on his performances against Chicago and Anaheim.

You're talking about 2013-14, right? Well all I can say is, how that season plays out depends first on what they do with Luongo - who do they trade him for? If it's for someone like a Shea Weber or a Henrik Zetterberg (whether or not that turns out so), then they'll still be sound. If they give him away for nothing, they're left with a huge hole - no free agents can fill it. Kiss the playoffs and the Stanley Cup goodbye.

Got to agree, the rest of the division is gotten better, while the Nucks have been complacently sinking like the Titanic. Edmonton is just one or two trades away from becoming a division contender. Colorado with a lotto-pick, you can expect them to explode soon. Calgary has done more than Vancouver to climb up, while Minnesota is already challenging Vancouver.

Archived