126 replies to this topic

#1 The Secret

The Secret

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

I know he's been upsetting to watch during the season but mark my words he will step up come PO's. He will have one thing told to him before game 1, "play your role, and you know what it is." (Being a bully and protecting the team) I don't know why he hasn't been playing this way throughout the season, it could be because of our injuries and the team needed him to play a role he wasn't brought in for, or maybe AV wanting him to focus more on other parts of his game. Honestly I'm not too sure about that part, however I do know that he will be told his role and he will play that role. He has no choice realistically, either he does it, or he'll get benched and again informed of his duties. He could be the reason we turn around and get hot.

Go CANUCKS! Believe in Blue.

#2 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

I know he's been upsetting to watch during the season but mark my words he will step up come PO's. He will have one thing told to him before game 1, "play your role, and you know what it is." (Being a bully and protecting the team) I don't know why he hasn't been playing this way throughout the season, it could be because of our injuries and the team needed him to play a role he wasn't brought in for, or maybe AV wanting him to focus more on other parts of his game. Honestly I'm not too sure about that part, however I do know that he will be told his role and he will play that role. He has no choice realistically, either he does it, or he'll get benched and again informed of his duties. He could be the reason we turn around and get hot.

Go CANUCKS! Believe in Blue.

Like he did last year in the playoffs? We can only hope buts it's a lot of hope.

#3 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

OP what are your reasons for suggesting he will step it up. He already knows his role, don't know why he'll suddenly flip a switch in the playoffs. Kassian obviously needs more time to develop.

#4 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

POPULAR

Very unlikely.
Posted Image

#5 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

POPULAR

What's the upsetting part?

He's a rookie that has held his own as a young two way power forward. If he continues to play as he has, he will be fine - and it's not really Kassian who needs to step up in the playoffs.

His underlying numbers are fine. He's shown that he possesses all the potential that was hoped of him.

Good finish given the opportunity, good vision, good passer, good skater, good discipline, stands up for his team-mates, makes few mistakes, backchecks and plays responsible hockey, solid physical player who picks his spots, good attitude and work ethic. What's the problem?

Edited by oldnews, 20 April 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#6 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Kassian isn't doing well now but he is going to step up in the playoffs.

Logic: He is going to do so because it's the playoffs.

:sadno:

Edited by monkeydluffy, 20 April 2013 - 11:06 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#7 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think he can too, the added intensity could do him very well if he can buy in.

Everyone steps up there game in the playoffs and plays with high focus, and that style plays right into his wheelhouse (in terms of how he plays and what he brings to the table)

I don't expect him to carry us, or be a saviour or anything but I think he will bring a positive impact, and a bigger one than he is bringing right now.

zackass.png

#8 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Best case scenario: Kassian holds the fort on the second line until David Booth is ready to return. He drops down to the fourth line with Maxim Lapierre and Dale Weise. Booth is able to play the same way he was playing before he was injured, except he's a little more lucky and is able to score on the chances.

Posted Image

#9 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

This player is a KID! He needs to learn the game at the NHL level which takes time. Trial and error folks. How many of us respond to a new enviroment and are instantly successful in whatever position we are put into? This is a year for learning. He will be good just be a little patient. He hasn't even had a full training camp. As for the playoffs I believe he is built for this type of game. Harder hitting, more emotional, gritty type hockey. He will do some good things out there, and he will make mistakes just like any human being/hockey player. Everyone is so hard on this guy to be instantly amazing. We have so many other players on this team whom haven't been playing the right way night in, and night out either. We should be harder on the Vets as opposed to the rookies IMO. He will find his full stride in time.. But if you all expect this KID to be the saviour for this team right now than I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment..

#10 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Party all the time,party all the time,party all the time.

Come on.You guys are dreaming in technicolor.

Kassian does his best and sticks up for his mates but he is an NHL third liner that one year ago could not hold a fourth line position.

Sure,he will step it up,as will every other NHL player with a pulse.

#11 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,554 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Yes...I can sense it too...Kassian....

With the combined powers of Sauron AND Saruman. We will be able to...

Posted Image

Oh, wait.

#12 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Posted Image

#13 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

If Kassian is good defensively, gets a few hits, and maybe a goal, that's all I would hope for.
Posted Image

#14 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yes...I can sense it too...Kassian....

With the combined powers of Sauron AND Saruman. We will be able to...

Posted Image

Oh, wait.

You forgot Dr Spock.

Posted Image

#15 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image

#16 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,508 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hopefully he steps up! I would love to see him scoring some clutch goals and playing physical, Bertuzzi-like.

307mg00.jpg

#17 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Not really worried about Kassian. He'll play his role but won't be the game changer some hope.

I'm more concerned about the MIA Sedin brothers. If they don't elevate their compete level in the playoffs,this team is toast in 4. To hear Hank describe tonight's 15 shot performance as one of the best games they have played in weeks, is disconcertingto say the least and if that is what he is telling his fellow players, it is no wonder we are not seeing improvement.

Kass is young and if he is overwhelmed and doesn't perform to expectations in teh playoffs, he can be forgiven. The Sedins are running out of chances and need to show the leaership this team needs to up their compete level.

#18 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,541 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

I have the same feeling. IMO I think he'll have a Dwight King-like playoff breakout

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#19 The Secret

The Secret

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

This player is a KID! He needs to learn the game at the NHL level which takes time. Trial and error folks. How many of us respond to a new enviroment and are instantly successful in whatever position we are put into? This is a year for learning. He will be good just be a little patient. He hasn't even had a full training camp. As for the playoffs I believe he is built for this type of game. Harder hitting, more emotional, gritty type hockey. He will do some good things out there, and he will make mistakes just like any human being/hockey player. Everyone is so hard on this guy to be instantly amazing. We have so many other players on this team whom haven't been playing the right way night in, and night out either. We should be harder on the Vets as opposed to the rookies IMO. He will find his full stride in time.. But if you all expect this KID to be the saviour for this team right now than I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment..

I think the expectations come from the initial trade...we lost something and were promised for something as good in return. However, I do understand where you are coming from I don't believe he'll be the best in the game come the playoffs. What I do believe is that he will step-up his game. I have seen what he is capable of and it's quite magnificent...by step-up I'm speaking more on terms of consistency. He'll hit HARD every game and skate better...being who he is and the environment he's been put into must be hard. I understand that bit that's why I proposed he would come out stronger in the playoffs, it's do or die. He can play hard and and be praised along with team, or fall with the team. I think he'll ignite more of what his potential is given the playoff environment.

#20 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Kass looks lost out there.

#21 RobberLuongo

RobberLuongo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Kassian isn't doing well now but he is going to step up in the playoffs.

Logic: He is going to do so because it's the playoffs.

:sadno:

I don't see how that's bad logic.
"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city"

#1 Roberto Luongo

#22 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

we dont need him to be a saviour but atlessed put out the same effort and intencity as these 20 year old kids around the league Kassian is 22 and came into this year with NHL experience. look at the kids on montreal gallagher 20 years old galchenyuk 18 years old if kassian put out half the effort those kids do no one would be complaining. people like to compare stats to other PFs like lucic and bertuzzi and how they didnt put up much points in their first couple years... Lucic came into the league as a 19 year old and Bertuzzi as a 20 year old , both were factors on the ice even when they were not scoring Lucic had 8 goals and 19 assists in his rookie year and faught every tough guy he came across and dished out bone crushing hits night after night and also got 2 goals in 7 playoff games that year as a 19 year old... when he was 20 he scored 17 goals by the time he was 22 (kassians age) he was a force scoring 30 goals and a huge part of a cup winning team. Bertuzzi had 18 goals and 21 assists his rookie year on a crap team. i just wish Kassian at 22 could put out the same effort and had the same effect Lucic did at 19 ..but hes not even close. people keep saying put him with the sedins... hes been getting 4-5 shifts a game with them since hes come back from being benched and it hasnt resulted in anything. atlessed tonight he backed checked hard once and one time he went intot he corner hard and missed his check... still never won any puck battles and couldnt help out the sedins in the cycle.... it was great when he dumped the puck in the corner for raymond to go get it ..isnt it supposed to be the other way around?

#23 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Yes yes, come PO's Wildebeest awakens.

#24 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,336 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Physical power forwards with skilled hands seem to shine in the playoffs.

Don't see why not. It's guys like Higgins, Lapierre, Burrows, Hansen, Booth and Kassian that score big goals in big playoff games. Let's just hope they can all step up this post-season.
Posted Image

#25 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Maybe by 2015

#26 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

he won't succeed if he isn't put in a position to succeed ..

put him in the bottom 6 - he will pick up traits as only bottom 6 players do...

put him in the top 6 - he will pick up traits as of a goal scorer powerfoward etc..

#27 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

he won't succeed if he isn't put in a position to succeed ..

put him in the bottom 6 - he will pick up traits as only bottom 6 players do...

put him in the top 6 - he will pick up traits as of a goal scorer powerfoward etc..

I hate hearing that lame excuse, so when hodgson was playing for us was he given big minutes on the top 6? Give me a break hodgson was able to produce playing on the third line at the same age as kassian so find a different excuse cause that one isn't going to work any longer :)

#28 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,776 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

I hate hearing that lame excuse, so when hodgson was playing for us was he given big minutes on the top 6? Give me a break hodgson was able to produce playing on the third line at the same age as kassian so find a different excuse cause that one isn't going to work any longer :)

Daddy's boy got consistent linemates and a set role. Kassian's seen time on every single line this year, and I doubt there's a player he hasn't had as a linemate. If you can't see how that makes consistency harder, I can't help you.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#29 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

if Kassian AKA "Doug Glatt" could play with the heart and passion of Lappy there would not be a problem. If Lappy had the size of Kassian my word look out. To think he is a top 6 man on this team is a joke. Can we trade Zack for Matt Kassian? If we could have kept, Tanner Glass, Raffi or Volpatti we would not need Kassian.

#30 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,776 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

Remember that age 22 the Sedins were pretty useless and possible busts. Kesler didn't look like he would ever amount to a 3rd liner. Burrows was in the ECHL. Bieksa was on the Moose who looked like he might make it as a 5/6 defenceman if he panned out.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.