The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian will step-up in the playoffs.

The Secret

Just give him a bit more time to develop. This is his first full-year (sort of given the shortened season) as an NHL regular but with all the injuries and his inconsistent play, he spent most of the time bouncing around different lines, hence different roles. It's hard enough for him with all the expectations but this hasn't been a year where there is a proper development plan for him.

I hope he does well in the playoffs, but I wouldn't have my fingers crossed just yet.

My first post although I've been reading the board for a while. Cheers.

The most prominent thing about Kassian's play are his turnovers. This will be magnified in the playoffs. Kassian being some physical beast is a myth. The most I hope from him this year is to throw some hits without hurting the team defensively. I don't get why so many people are so delusional about a guy with 9 points who is a -7 on the season.

And then there was also thousands upon thousands of players that were not like that and just faded away... The people you mentioned though always at least had a couple "flashes" of greatness.. whether it was the chemistry with the twins, Kesler being speedy as hell, and Bieksa did not look like that. He always exhibited signs of improvement and growth.. Burrows, well, the Sedins made his career and without them he would no doubt be a third liner.

The sooner that we except Kassian is just straight @$$ cheeks, the sooner we can make enough noise through the media via this site in getting this kid out and stop wasting his teammates/coach's time.

See-Kadri before making dumbass statements like this

Also how big of a bust was precious cody his first full year here. Zack is younger than cody was when he first started.

Why do people only look at stats when evaluating young players?

Its dumb and short sighted.

I for one am more than willing to wait it out, key with youth is patience, size with a mean streak and decent hands( not an everyday occurence), his skating kind of reminds me of Probert. As some have stated he looks kinda lost at times, but I don't think he is an AV style player and may be having a hard time adjusting to AV's expectations rather than what comes naturally.

Kid will be fine, he'll find his way, diamond in the rough. I am not eager to give up on what the kid brings to the table as it is hard to find and precious commodity to have.

I know he's been upsetting to watch during the season but mark my words he will step up come PO's. He will have one thing told to him before game 1, "play your role, and you know what it is." (Being a bully and protecting the team) I don't know why he hasn't been playing this way throughout the season, it could be because of our injuries and the team needed him to play a role he wasn't brought in for, or maybe AV wanting him to focus more on other parts of his game. Honestly I'm not too sure about that part, however I do know that he will be told his role and he will play that role. He has no choice realistically, either he does it, or he'll get benched and again informed of his duties. He could be the reason we turn around and get hot.

Go CANUCKS! Believe in Blue.

There was a huge difference between Cam Neely and Kassian - Neely could play AND he could fight. Neely made the team right out of junior - scorint 16 goals and 31 points: and by the time he was 19 he had already had a 21 goal season under his belt. Kassian is 22, and has done nothing in the NHL, and not much in the AHL. Apparently, his only great abilities are the ability to party, to grow ugly hair, and to lose teeth.

Apparently, the only thing Kassian will step up to is the bar - if rumors of his partying are true. Atleast, according to Gallagher: "In fact, it’s largely disciplinary given he’s been photographed enjoying himself in some of the local nightspots when he’s supposed to have been nursing an ailing back. But the club doesn’t really want to say so. He’s young and inexperienced in this market — where everything you do is spotted, photographed and dutifully reported." http://canucksarmy.com/2013/4/3/why-was-zack-kassian-demoted

Hehe, nice, I get it that your not happy with the kid, to say the least.

I agree Neely was a special talent, but if you look at some of the stats of say S. Ott or Clowe, he could be considered comparable or better.

But to say the kid is not big or tough isn't a fair statement.

He has neither the intelligence of an Ott, nor the nastiness of a Clowe. Kassian is singularly undistinguished. Canuck fans are so used to having a bunch of smurfs play for them that they don't know what real toughness, nor its value is - and Kassian is not that. Mostly, when I see him play, I see a boy who does not know what he is - if he does not know that by 22, in the NHL, the odds of him ever discovering are sharply diminished.

Archived