126 replies to this topic

#61 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well, watching the Detroit game he is skating hard enough to back check and gets in on the fore check.

I see him as hesitant when not directly involved in a play. He hangs back circling, instead of charging in to the boards after a puck, or to make a check. In the maeantime, Raymond, or Weise is charging in. It can't always have been his responsibility to play a lane in the background. He has not learned to pick his spots and asert himself...

When he had his magical run with the Twins, that was not the case. They cycled the puck into a corner or behind the net & Kas was charging in hell bent on winning a puck and chipping it back to a Twin.

#62 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

You know nothing about hockey then...there are some players who play better in the playoffs than they do in the regular season (Lappy, Higgins...Kesler, Edler. Maybe hes hoping that Kassian is the same way??) Learn the game of hockey before you knock someones opinion. Just saying

Kesler stepping up in the playoffs? IMO Kesler's playoff play is pretty close to his regular season play. He had one amazing series against Nashville, but other than that he hasn't "dominated" in the playoffs.

Back on topic, "hoping that Kassian will improve in the playoffs" is different from "claiming that Kassian will improve in the playoffs". I simply pointed out that the evidence the OP gave for claiming that Kassian will step up in the playoffs wasn't enough to convince me.

For every player who steps up in the playoffs there is one who disappears in the playoffs. I hope that Kassian will step up as well but I don't that "it's the playoffs" is a good enough reason to convince me that he will.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#63 Knucklehd

Knucklehd

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

I agree with parts of many posts. Defensively, kass has looked lost, tentative and uncomfortable out there. Once he gets over our blue line though, you can almost see a switch flip, he plays with much more confidence, aggression and creativity, although not much to show for it. The defensive game is the hardest part for young players to figure out. Give him time, till then however, I will continue to hold my breath when he has the puck in our zone. Once he figures that out, I think you'll see him have a breakout season..

#64 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

I hope he does wake up during the playoffs. I want him to throw his body around.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#65 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hahaha wow... we are STILL pretending that this kid is actually going to be good. As soon as playoffs are over we need to trade him ASAP.

#66 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

I like what I've seen from Kassian this season, he's playing all over the lineup, getting solid experience and getting better defensively and positionally game over game. He plays with a lot of enthusiasm but you can tell he needs more time to work with the coaching staff than he's been able to get with the short season, I think it's next year where we'll really see what he can do with a proper offseason training and camp and preseason.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#67 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well, watching the Detroit game he is skating hard enough to back check and gets in on the fore check.

I see him as hesitant when not directly involved in a play. He hangs back circling, instead of charging in to the boards after a puck, or to make a check. In the maeantime, Raymond, or Weise is charging in. It can't always have been his responsibility to play a lane in the background. He has not learned to pick his spots and asert himself...

When he had his magical run with the Twins, that was not the case. They cycled the puck into a corner or behind the net & Kas was charging in hell bent on winning a puck and chipping it back to a Twin.

This, he just seems a little lost without the puck right now, but when he's with the twins he knows what he has to do.

I'm sure the same would happen on any line if AV would just leave him on it for a couple games so he can relax and not worry about losing his spot after every mistake.

As we saw in the beginning of the year he can play good when he has confidence, he was our best player the first 5 or so games.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#68 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

I don't think he should be fighting as much.. He's great power forward with amazing potential, but fighting seems to impede his skills development. Great hands, big body, good positioning, decent passing skills, although he needs to work on his shooting.

But in the playoffs I'm okay with him fighting as much as he wants and with whoever messes with our skilled guys, as long as he doesn't get injured in a fight. Which has happened a few times now...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#69 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

if Kassian AKA "Doug Glatt" could play with the heart and passion of Lappy there would not be a problem. If Lappy had the size of Kassian my word look out. To think he is a top 6 man on this team is a joke. Can we trade Zack for Matt Kassian? If we could have kept, Tanner Glass, Raffi or Volpatti we would not need Kassian.

He's a beast in the playoffs, he steps up his game big time when it matters and is always there to defend a teammate.

Lappy doesn't hurt the team when he is out there playing. He knows where to be and how to finish a check. He is an even for +/- and Kassian is a -7. Lappy has 35 PM, where Kas has 51 PM, I'm sure Glatt has the more idiotic PM. Lappy understands how to forecheck and actually skate hard and back check. Keep 2 hands on the stick and has a lot more hockey smarts then Glatt does.

No, but this sure does:

I guess the point im trying to make is that Lappierre was on his way to being weeded out of the nhl because he sucked and teams gave up on him,

yet posters here are comparing him to a rookie 22 year old in kass and coming up with sizzler insults like Glatt.

Retarded.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#70 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Kassian is not ready right now and he's not going to turn into some beast in the playoffs.

Give me a break on the "he hasn't had proper line mates" or "he got pulled off the Sedins line and has played poorly since then ". There's a reason why he's bounced around (defensive lapses) and anyone can play with the Sedins and succeed. Heck, Taylor "gentle giant" Pyatt could score consecutive 20+ goals and even Bitz pot in 2 goals in a few games.

Most rookies playing in the NHL playoffs have shown more aggressive play than Kassian did last year, which was why he was stapled to the bench, and he's supposed to be this "rumbling bull".

Sorry but even Steve Bernier throws a few big hits sometimes too.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#71 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Kassian will do better in the playoffs because it is the playoffs. It has less to do with his ability, or him flipping a switch. The switch is hit by the refing. They call less infractions, let the rougher play go. it is more suited to his brand of hockey. If he can take advantage he has the ability to be great, for a young player.

#72 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

He can't skate. Skating is important in the NHL. Especially in the playoffs.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#73 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Kassian is not ready right now and he's not going to turn into some beast in the playoffs.

Give me a break on the "he hasn't had proper line mates" or "he got pulled off the Sedins line and has played poorly since then ". There's a reason why he's bounced around (defensive lapses) and anyone can play with the Sedins and succeed. Heck, Taylor "gentle giant" Pyatt could score consecutive 20+ goals and even Bitz pot in 2 goals in a few games.

Most rookies playing in the NHL playoffs have shown more aggressive play than Kassian did last year, which was why he was stapled to the bench, and he's supposed to be this "rumbling bull".

Psssst...Pyatt only has one 20+ goal season in his entire NHL career.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#74 RoyBaby

RoyBaby

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Remember that age 22 the Sedins were pretty useless and possible busts. Kesler didn't look like he would ever amount to a 3rd liner. Burrows was in the ECHL. Bieksa was on the Moose who looked like he might make it as a 5/6 defenceman if he panned out.

And then there was also thousands upon thousands of players that were not like that and just faded away... The people you mentioned though always at least had a couple "flashes" of greatness.. whether it was the chemistry with the twins, Kesler being speedy as hell, and Bieksa did not look like that. He always exhibited signs of improvement and growth.. Burrows, well, the Sedins made his career and without them he would no doubt be a third liner.

The sooner that we except Kassian is just straight @$$ cheeks, the sooner we can make enough noise through the media via this site in getting this kid out and stop wasting his teammates/coach's time.

Edited by RoyBaby, 21 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#75 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

And then there was also thousands upon thousands of players that were not like that and just faded away... The people you mentioned though always at least had a couple "flashes" of greatness.. whether it was the chemistry with the twins, Kesler being speedy as hell, and Bieksa did not look like that. He always exhibited signs of improvement and growth.. Burrows, well, the Sedins made his career and without them he would no doubt be a third liner.

The sooner that we except Kassian is just straight @$$ cheeks, the sooner we can make enough noise through the media via this site in getting this kid out and stop wasting his teammates/coach's time.

Kassian was drafted 11th overall(all of the NHL scouts must have seen some potential?)...He's still young and he's been shuffled around a lot.You just dont give up on big guys with a huge upside like that..If the club actually listened to the media (and people like you) the Sedins would've been drummed out of town years ago.

#76 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,741 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Posted Image

#77 BleedBlueAndGreen

BleedBlueAndGreen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

I'm really excited to see how he performs in the Chicago game tomorrow. They're fast and skilled, but also play a hard-hitting, smash mouth smile that i think Kassian will sink or swim in this setting.

14o6bli.jpg
Credit to -VintageCanuck for the sig

#78 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Your commentary is fair, but...

Do you think Brendan Shanahan would be who he became without line mates? Guys like Kassian, who have size, speed and soft hands on their scouting report represent a special opportunity. Is Burrows better? Absolutely! But;

- point one; Kassian is somewhere between 212 and 220 lbs. Chara, Pronger years ago, Seabrook, Weber, heck mid sized Willie Mitchell as defenders have all had success smothering the Twins with physical play. And where a step behind AB, this could still be used to crack like a can opener size match up issues against big D and reinvigorate the Twins. Historically teams have shut down the Twins in play off match ups.

- point two; Burrows has also had the ability to reinvigorate other lines. Its not all about Kass; it's about getting 3 or 4 lines rolling!

- point three; it's about developing Kassian. Ahem, its why we should have been going to this match up 40% of the time (my formula). Kassian still needs guys good enough to create structure and puck control; with them he has been effective. Now Burrows is unquestionably better after years with the Twins. So too could be our beastly physical PF with the soft hands. He will learn how to assert himself and then bring that to subsidiary lines when asked, as well....

Look at Saad in Chicago; does anyone really believe he is better than Kane or Sharp who play 2knd line, heck even Bolland? But he's playing first line with Toewes/Hossa & their depth lines are all the better for it. Plus he add's exactly size and athleticism which busts match ups. Quenneville knows how to engineer better match ups!

#79 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

I'm really excited to see how he performs in the Chicago game tomorrow. They're fast and skilled, but also play a hard-hitting, smash mouth smile that i think Kassian will sink or swim in this setting.

or its going to be another boring game because we are a week away from the playoffs and both teams are locked in.

#80 SamiSalo

SamiSalo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I don't think the comparison has been made yet, but it is worth mentioning that this kids hockey hero, and local power forward legend, Big Bert, didn't put it all together until he was 24 years old!!

Unbelievable that some of you want to give up on this kid, who is exactly the type of player we have needed to develop since Bert left. SMH.

#81 blackpluto96

blackpluto96

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Just give him a bit more time to develop. This is his first full-year (sort of given the shortened season) as an NHL regular but with all the injuries and his inconsistent play, he spent most of the time bouncing around different lines, hence different roles. It's hard enough for him with all the expectations but this hasn't been a year where there is a proper development plan for him.

I hope he does well in the playoffs, but I wouldn't have my fingers crossed just yet.

My first post although I've been reading the board for a while. Cheers.

#82 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

The most prominent thing about Kassian's play are his turnovers. This will be magnified in the playoffs. Kassian being some physical beast is a myth. The most I hope from him this year is to throw some hits without hurting the team defensively. I don't get why so many people are so delusional about a guy with 9 points who is a -7 on the season.

#83 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image

😂 Great post!

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#84 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

See-Kadri before making dumbass statements like this

Also how big of a bust was precious cody his first full year here. Zack is younger than cody was when he first started.

Why do people only look at stats when evaluating young players?
Its dumb and short sighted.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#85 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

I wanna see Kass throw some big hits, lay down the law at the pot shotters, and crash and bang the net, I know its a tall order but come onnnnnnnnnnnnn

#86 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

See-Kadri before making dumbass statements like this

Also how big of a bust was precious cody his first full year here. Zack is younger than cody was when he first started.

Why do people only look at stats when evaluating young players?
Its dumb and short sighted.

The stats are kind to zack. If you break down his game and how he plays it you wonder how he's not a -30.

He has a lot of work to do before he is a average third line player. I hole he turns out to be great but you need to understand why people think we got robbed in the trade. We took a huge question mark, a player with upside but lacks motivation and drive need to be effective in the NHL and traded a player that was NHL ready and and helping our club. Now zack may work out but but MG took a big risk with our best prospect (and we don't have a lot) by trading him for a head case that may never pan out. Understanding that Cody wanted out we needed to trade him but he was under contract and MG had time on his side to find a better trade.

TO reported that they wanted zack and MG never even let them know he was on the block, we could have landed Bozak in a heartbeat.

I know it's not fair to put extra pressure on him because he was part of a bad trade but the kid has to work had now, sure he may be a better player in a few years but that has nothing to do with the lack of effort he showing now.

#87 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

I for one am more than willing to wait it out, key with youth is patience, size with a mean streak and decent hands( not an everyday occurence), his skating kind of reminds me of Probert. As some have stated he looks kinda lost at times, but I don't think he is an AV style player and may be having a hard time adjusting to AV's expectations rather than what comes naturally.

Kid will be fine, he'll find his way, diamond in the rough. I am not eager to give up on what the kid brings to the table as it is hard to find and precious commodity to have.

#88 WindChaser

WindChaser

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hahaha wow... we are STILL pretending that this kid is actually going to be good. As soon as playoffs are over we need to trade him ASAP.

no wonder we were the victims in the Cam Neely trade... good thing we don't have people like you running the management

#89 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I know he's been upsetting to watch during the season but mark my words he will step up come PO's. He will have one thing told to him before game 1, "play your role, and you know what it is." (Being a bully and protecting the team) I don't know why he hasn't been playing this way throughout the season, it could be because of our injuries and the team needed him to play a role he wasn't brought in for, or maybe AV wanting him to focus more on other parts of his game. Honestly I'm not too sure about that part, however I do know that he will be told his role and he will play that role. He has no choice realistically, either he does it, or he'll get benched and again informed of his duties. He could be the reason we turn around and get hot.

Go CANUCKS! Believe in Blue.

He doesn't play this role, "(Being a bully and protecting the team)" because he isn't big enough, tough enough, or in good enough shape to play it. Next to guys like Bacchus and Getzlaff, he is just a boy to be rag-dolled. He has an enormous way to go to become an NHLer, and the first part is coming to play in condition. He got off to a hot start because most of the vets had been game-idle, and he had been playing in the AHL. As soon as the vets were up to speed, Kassian disappeared and hasn't been seen since doing anything of value.

#90 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

no wonder we were the victims in the Cam Neely trade... good thing we don't have people like you running the management

There was a huge difference between Cam Neely and Kassian - Neely could play AND he could fight. Neely made the team right out of junior - scorint 16 goals and 31 points: and by the time he was 19 he had already had a 21 goal season under his belt. Kassian is 22, and has done nothing in the NHL, and not much in the AHL. Apparently, his only great abilities are the ability to party, to grow ugly hair, and to lose teeth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.