The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Your Call] Whats gone wrong with the Canucks

canuckbeliever

This season was supposed to be of survival. If only we could survive the Booth and Kesler injury at the start of the year they said. If this team was able to survive, the pundits thought we could make some noise and maybe get our name on the holy grail. Well guess what. We have survived 2 injuries to Kesler and Booth. Survived injuries to Raymond, Bieksa, Kassian, Higgins, Tanev (who has emerged into a bottom top 4 dman). Yet this team looks worse than it has since Gillis took over.

On paper this team is supposed to be good and with the emergence of Hansen, Tanev and Garrison (who I was skeptical of) this team is supposed more around DAMN GOOD. First line is a beauty with Daniel Henrik and Burrows. Second line is decent with Raymond Kesler and Kassian. Third line is studly with inevitable return of Higgins along with Roy and Hansen. Fourth line is a fourth line. The D looks good on paper. Edler, Garrison, Bieksa and Hammer are supposed to be 4 solid studs. The goalies are supposed to be beauties as well but there was always the question of goalie controversies effecting either one.

On the ice I am not sure what the heck is going on. The Sedins have been inconsistent and seem to have lost a step as compared to most years. Raymond has been more inconsistent than well Mason Raymond. Kesler is trying to find his game and just when we think he has it he takes a step back. Kassian is a shadow of whatever the heck Gillis thought he would be. Higgins is injured but when he wasnt he wasnt the Higgins of past two years. Roy seems decent but no where near the 6.5 mill he wants in summer. Hansen has been the most consistent forward all year and one of the main bright spots. Fourth line has been alright.

On D Edler seems inconsistent, Garrison started off bad but has been the best dman by far the past 2 months. Hammers been good and bad. Bieksas been inconsistent but somehow I feel that maybe linked to his injury. Ballard for all the crap he takes has been good at times but still very inconsistent. Tanev has been the most pleasant surprise on the team and really emerged as a sound #4-#5 dman. Barker and Alberts arn't worth mentioning because frankly they suck.

The goaltending has been clutch. Neither goalie has let this controversy phase there play. Schneiderman has outperformed any expectation people could have had. He has stolen games and then some. Even Luongo as a backup has been damn good. When either goalie has lost it has had more to do with the inconsistency of the team.

My question then to fellow CDC'ers is wtf is wrong with this team? Why is it that I and virtually any knowledgeble hockey fan feel this team is getting ready to have it's ass destroyed in the first round. Why do I feel that we are getting closer and closer to the iceberg upon which this team collapses.

Is it that this team isnt trying hard enough despite its plethora of talent?

Could it be lockerroom issues?

Could it be that the makeup of this team was never meant for winning?

Or maybe this team isnt playing for its coach?

Curious to get your folks reactions.

1 - Poor defensive systems. The players we have should be better than they're playing, and it's because we have horrible systems on the blueline. That being said you can't muster up much of a game plan with 6 left-handed defencemen.

2 - Horrible power play. No idea why Newell Brown hasn't been fired yet. He has arguably the most skilled weapons in the NHL to work with and has one of the worst powerplays. Still yet to put Garrison on the top unit is not a crime, it's ignorance and idiocity.

3 - Lack of a veteran presence. Since losing Malhotra and Salo, the Canucks have been mentally fragile. Now we lose our only real veteran defenceman in Bieksa and the wheels have finally come off. Leadership and veteran experience in a locker room is very underated, and a big reason all the Cup winners of the last decade have had a late veteran acquisition or grey-beard.

The Canucks didn't snag one, and they're going to pay for it. Meanwhile, I would wager anything that whoever wins the Cup this season has one of those grey-beard veterans. Someone who's seen it all and who can calm the boys down during key pressure situations.

Sure the Sedins and Kesler have been around for a while, but their experience doesn't even compare to the likes of say Mark Recchi, Jagr or Iginla.

What I've seen or a lack of is heart and motivation. They don't seem to have that desire.

Burrows, you've been amazing as always, always battling hard.

Manny Malholtra being absent, maybe Salo? Both must of taken a bit of a hit as they were great leaders and mentors.

Bieksa another guy who plays with heart having a bunch of injury troubles.

Loss of Raffi Torres (a while ago I know) but nobody has replaced his energy and what he brings.

I take your "whats gone wrong with the canucks?" question and raise you a "what's gone right with the Canucks?"

Answer: Lots.

Defence: Although inconsistent at the beginning of the season has rounded into form. Garrison has been a beast, Edler's game is coming together just in time for playoffs, Tanev emerges as a solid top 4 DMan, Hamhuis/ Bieksa solid. Depth Dmen are questionable if we sustain injuries.

Forwards: Sedin Line has been great lately, and has been their usual consistent selves. Kesler is back and healthy, rested just in time for playoffs. Roy has been a great addition to give us three top teir centers. Hansen's improvement. Schroeder showing promise. Although Kassian has been pretty inconsistent, he adds grit to our top 9. He also gave Eager a concussion...

Goaltending: Speaks for itself. The best goaltending dual in the league.

I take your "whats gone wrong with the canucks?" question and raise you a "what's gone right with the Canucks?"

Answer: Lots.

Defence: Although inconsistent at the beginning of the season has rounded into form. Garrison has been a beast, Edler's game is coming together just in time for playoffs, Tanev emerges as a solid top 4 DMan, Hamhuis/ Bieksa solid. Depth Dmen are questionable if we sustain injuries.

Forwards: Sedin Line has been great lately, and has been their usual consistent selves. Kesler is back and healthy, rested just in time for playoffs. Roy has been a great addition to give us three top teir centers. Hansen's improvement. Schroeder showing promise. Although Kassian has been pretty inconsistent, he adds grit to our top 9. He also gave Eager a concussion...

Goaltending: Speaks for itself. The best goaltending dual in the league.

They seem to be entering back into that coasting phase we saw earlier in the season. After the Roy trade they really seemed to up their intensity, but they've kind of fallen back into bad habits in recent games. Of course, there are injuries on the backline. Add a few really unusual coaching decisions and you have where we are today.

Much improvement needed for the playoffs or we aren't getting out of Round 1.

Archived