The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Your Call] Whats gone wrong with the Canucks

canuckbeliever

Why is it that I and virtually any knowledgeble hockey fan feel this team is getting ready to have it's ass destroyed in the first round. Why do I feel that we are getting closer and closer to the iceberg upon which this team collapses.

Is it that this team isnt trying hard enough despite its plethora of talent?

Could it be lockerroom issues?

Could it be that the makeup of this team was never meant for winning?

Or maybe this team isnt playing for its coach?

Curious to get your folks reactions.

Knowledgeable hockey fans cannot predict the future. And a knowledgeable hockey fan knows that ANY team can win if they get hot goaltending and all the chips line up right.

People who have more of a sit back and let things unfold as they will perhaps know as much (or more) than you do about hockey, it's just that they accept it's out of their hands. So moaning, predicting, whining and complaing doesn't change things. Some of us choose to simply enjoy the time that we do have watching hockey, as it wasn't long ago the entire season was in jeopardy.

Among the obvious thing, it's all about clicking at the right time. Yes, teams like Boston will bully their way in and we need a response to that, but I think we've learned to do just enough to stand up to it. There is more pushback and to those referring to the stuff last night - for us, the game was about getting a point...that was at the top of the agenda. Some of those teams also use some dirty tactics when applying their goonery and, at times, it will come back to bite them in the butt. Our PP is definitely a bit of a concern, but it's been improving. And remember, Kes has been out of the line up for some time and his presence is a big asset to us. Higgins is missed. Bieksa. Tanev.

This team doesn't get overly excited when they're winning or losing and they've learned to keep composed despite the fact that the fans are freaking out at times. Yes, at times a sense of desperation is necessary but we're at the top (again), guaranteed of a playoff spot and doing just what's necessary to stay there.

I believe that they learned that to kill yourself in order to win the Presidents trophy may leave you depleted IN the playoffs so, yes, they're managing that. I think we will see them turn it up a notch (no, not "flip a switch" but the intensity will be there moreso than in games that are only giving extra points that won't matter a bit in another week or two). We don't need to put out all star performances each game, we only need to win. I think my "we'll see" is better than a sky is falling if only for my blood pressure's sake. Out of my/our hands, so sit back and enjoy the ride?

The regular season grind, I just don't think this team has the motivation for the regular season, after coming up just one game short of the big prize their only real interest is the playoffs. Which of course begs the question, can you flip the switch after coasting?

The AV grind. For offensive and creative players, after 6 years of defence first hockey and having to shut it down and protect 1 goal, 2 goal leads and even in some cases such as last night protecting the tie I would imagine the fun gets somewhat sucked out of the game and reduces motivation levels.

THe powerplay, not only bad percentage wise but does not score very often at the time needed. If you build a team to win on the powerplay rather than respond physicaly to cheap shots it is critical to actually score on the pp immediately after your guy gets blind sided.

Not hitting enough, not big enough, way too many passes from side boards to center of ice while inside the defensive zone.

Enough with the drop pass at center ice while on the power play. So many injuries to center icemen. Over stocked on d-men for the l side, short on the other side.

But they still make the playoffs due to a weak division and frankly they are good enough to make the playoffs in a different division as well but I think would not finish with as many points.

I take your "whats gone wrong with the canucks?" question and raise you a "what's gone right with the Canucks?"

Answer: Lots.

Defence: Although inconsistent at the beginning of the season has rounded into form. Garrison has been a beast, Edler's game is coming together just in time for playoffs, Tanev emerges as a solid top 4 DMan, Hamhuis/ Bieksa solid. Depth Dmen are questionable if we sustain injuries.

Forwards: Sedin Line has been great lately, and has been their usual consistent selves. Kesler is back and healthy, rested just in time for playoffs. Roy has been a great addition to give us three top teir centers. Hansen's improvement. Schroeder showing promise. Although Kassian has been pretty inconsistent, he adds grit to our top 9. He also gave Eager a concussion...

Goaltending: Speaks for itself. The best goaltending dual in the league.

I'm not so sure it is anything the team has done differently, I think it is more so the book on them is out.

Teams know that a very aggressive fore-check and heavy on the body nullifies any offensive push the Nucks have, the refs have read the book and almost refuse to make a call and if they do get a PP they do not capitalize. We don't answer physically or on the score sheet, almost a blatant refusal to engage in anything physical, although Alberts has shown up the past week or so, our forwards will not engage or are told not to. Even if we did push back, IMO we are too small to make much difference.

This season was supposed to be of survival. If only we could survive the Booth and Kesler injury at the start of the year they said. If this team was able to survive, the pundits thought we could make some noise and maybe get our name on the holy grail. Well guess what. We have survived 2 injuries to Kesler and Booth. Survived injuries to Raymond, Bieksa, Kassian, Higgins, Tanev (who has emerged into a bottom top 4 dman). Yet this team looks worse than it has since Gillis took over.

On paper this team is supposed to be good and with the emergence of Hansen, Tanev and Garrison (who I was skeptical of) this team is supposed more around DAMN GOOD. First line is a beauty with Daniel Henrik and Burrows. Second line is decent with Raymond Kesler and Kassian. Third line is studly with inevitable return of Higgins along with Roy and Hansen. Fourth line is a fourth line. The D looks good on paper. Edler, Garrison, Bieksa and Hammer are supposed to be 4 solid studs. The goalies are supposed to be beauties as well but there was always the question of goalie controversies effecting either one.

On the ice I am not sure what the heck is going on. The Sedins have been inconsistent and seem to have lost a step as compared to most years. Raymond has been more inconsistent than well Mason Raymond. Kesler is trying to find his game and just when we think he has it he takes a step back. Kassian is a shadow of whatever the heck Gillis thought he would be. Higgins is injured but when he wasnt he wasnt the Higgins of past two years. Roy seems decent but no where near the 6.5 mill he wants in summer. Hansen has been the most consistent forward all year and one of the main bright spots. Fourth line has been alright.

On D Edler seems inconsistent, Garrison started off bad but has been the best dman by far the past 2 months. Hammers been good and bad. Bieksas been inconsistent but somehow I feel that maybe linked to his injury. Ballard for all the crap he takes has been good at times but still very inconsistent. Tanev has been the most pleasant surprise on the team and really emerged as a sound #4-#5 dman. Barker and Alberts arn't worth mentioning because frankly they suck.

The goaltending has been clutch. Neither goalie has let this controversy phase there play. Schneiderman has outperformed any expectation people could have had. He has stolen games and then some. Even Luongo as a backup has been damn good. When either goalie has lost it has had more to do with the inconsistency of the team.

My question then to fellow CDC'ers is wtf is wrong with this team? Why is it that I and virtually any knowledgeble hockey fan feel this team is getting ready to have it's ass destroyed in the first round. Why do I feel that we are getting closer and closer to the iceberg upon which this team collapses.

Is it that this team isnt trying hard enough despite its plethora of talent?

Could it be lockerroom issues?

Could it be that the makeup of this team was never meant for winning?

Or maybe this team isnt playing for its coach?

Curious to get your folks reactions.

actually we're tied for 5th with boston...2 points behind montreal and 3 points behind anaheim....when kb3, tanev and higgy get back, we'll see what kind of team we're going into the playoffs with...as for me, i'm going to see how far into the playoffs, i can cheer them to...for all their strengths and weaknesses, they are my team....

I'm with ya on this, Joe.

Considering the constant injuries I'm happy with where we are...and that is a "chance" to compete for the Stanley cup!

My only complaint is the call-ups and pairings at times. I wish we had shroeder in over ebbett. Raymond shroeder hansen was fun to watch...why keep juggling something that works. And just leave burrows on the first where he belongs.

Knowledgeable hockey fans cannot predict the future. And a knowledgeable hockey fan knows that ANY team can win if they get hot goaltending and all the chips line up right.

People who have more of a sit back and let things unfold as they will perhaps know as much (or more) than you do about hockey, it's just that they accept it's out of their hands. So moaning, predicting, whining and complaing doesn't change things. Some of us choose to simply enjoy the time that we do have watching hockey, as it wasn't long ago the entire season was in jeopardy.

Among the obvious thing, it's all about clicking at the right time. Yes, teams like Boston will bully their way in and we need a response to that, but I think we've learned to do just enough to stand up to it. There is more pushback and to those referring to the stuff last night - for us, the game was about getting a point...that was at the top of the agenda. Some of those teams also use some dirty tactics when applying their goonery and, at times, it will come back to bite them in the butt. Our PP is definitely a bit of a concern, but it's been improving. And remember, Kes has been out of the line up for some time and his presence is a big asset to us. Higgins is missed. Bieksa. Tanev.

This team doesn't get overly excited when they're winning or losing and they've learned to keep composed despite the fact that the fans are freaking out at times. Yes, at times a sense of desperation is necessary but we're at the top (again), guaranteed of a playoff spot and doing just what's necessary to stay there.

I believe that they learned that to kill yourself in order to win the Presidents trophy may leave you depleted IN the playoffs so, yes, they're managing that. I think we will see them turn it up a notch (no, not "flip a switch" but the intensity will be there moreso than in games that are only giving extra points that won't matter a bit in another week or two). We don't need to put out all star performances each game, we only need to win. I think my "we'll see" is better than a sky is falling if only for my blood pressure's sake. Out of my/our hands, so sit back and enjoy the ride?

I hate our lineup throughout the team. Av has failed to protect the Sedins in 4 years. Broke apart raymond and hansen. Don't know why kassian isn't with roy instead of kesler who's far bigger. Don't get why our 4th line gave up volpatti. Sont get why ebbett is on our team...

I don't think we've seen the real Canucks team very often this year.

I kind of get the feeling that the team has treated this entire shortened season as an extended training camp. Get into playoff form, get comfortable, do enough to get the W, don't kill yourself over it, it's just a regular season game, nothing to get worked up about.

In the past 2 years they've played hard, worked hard & while they've won the regular season they've reached the playoffs banged up & worn out.

They have learned what it takes to win & they aren't too excited about the regular season. It seems like they're just doing enough to get the W's. They haven't had to face a desperation situation all year.

AV hasn't shortened his bench much all season. He has very rarely increased the ice time for the top 6

They're down by 1, they're up by 1. Everyone keeps playing.

Ebbet is playing badly? So what it's not about Ebbet. Is the rest of the line playing defence? Are Kesler & Roy getting a chance to gain some chemistry?

Barker is playing poorly? So what? How's Edler doing?

They're down by 1 in the 3rd? So what? Is that a reason to overwork the top 6? We need them healthy & rested for the playoffs.

No-one has been rushed back from injury, everyone gets all the time they need to be 100% for the playoffs.

Schroeder hasn't been called up? Well he's getting huge ice time & dominating in the AHL. Let him stay there, he'll be here when he's needed.

The twins aren't dominating? The twins have played the best defence of their careers. They haven't had easy minutes. They've played the toughest competition possible & have held top lines scoreless all season.

I might be wrong. Maybe we have seen the real Canucks & they'll make an early exit from the playoffs. Maybe the questionable coaching decisions & lack of intensity isn't deliberate.

I'm hoping I'm right & we won't see the real Canucks team until the puck drops in game 1 of the playoffs.

This year compared to previous years, you'll notice that opposing teams have more success fore-checking the Canucks and causing more turn-overs in our own end. Then our team ends up expending too much energy defending and chasing the puck in our own end.

After Erhoff and then Salo moved on, the Canucks had no other d-men that could replace their proficiency at neutralizing the opponent's fore-check. They were good at getting the puck past the first fore-checker thru a pass or by feints, dangles, fakes and skillful maneuvers (quickly changing direction of the puck so the opposing fore-checker is caught out of position). By breaking the fore-check, it made life so much easier for our forwards to transition out of our own zone and go on offense.

Management had hoped that Ballard, Elder, Bieska, Hamhuis would step up their game and provide that similar type of ability to break the fore-check. Sure, these guys can also break the opponent's fore-check, but not at the same proficiency level of Erhoff and Salo.

If you've watched almost all the games this year, our current d-core is more vulnerable to the fore-check.

Archived