The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Your Call] Whats gone wrong with the Canucks

canuckbeliever

Ya, I just don't believe in the whole 'flip the switch', don't think it's possible.

The Canucks haven't matched up well against the Hawks this yr - at all. In 2 games, Canucks have been outchanced 45-15. And 36-12 at even strength. Those are the most abysmal numbers of any team they've faced this season. The goalies got them through both games - it's really not sustainable to be outchanced by that margin and continue to stay in games. Without Tanev/Bieksa, it's gonna be hell IMO.

51.85% possession (12th) , 4th in goals, 5th in goals against, don't indicate a team that is

"the easiest playoff team to play right now hands down."

Those stats have them in the middle of the playoff pack.

They've been outshot 1295 to 1259. Not really significant.

A team that has lost the most man games to injury.

If they entered the playoffs without Bieksa, Kesler, Higgins, Booth, Tanev, Ballard... perhaps then they'd qualify as you've described them, but otherwise it comes accross as quite an overstatement.

The Canucks are a top 6 team, and have been for much of the season. That qualifies as DAMN GOOD for any hockey club.

"What are you, Division champs? Well that's just not DAMN GOOD enough." Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

Sometimes I feel like there's a lot of spoiled & entitled Canucks fans out there, most of whom seemed to become fans during & after the West Coast Express days. Someone toss up some video of the Canucks under Iron Mike, that ought to give some perspective on just how DAMN GOOD this team is right now.

Relax & enjoy the ride. We're in the show, most likely getting home ice advantage & that's all that really matters. Imagine how Oilers fans are feeling right now.

I think some of the big things are:

Weak power play.

Kesler missing most of the season.

Defence not playing quite as well as expected(I think Salo was an underrated player).

If those things weren't an issue the Canucks probably have 2nd in the conference in the bag.

I politely disagree.

Well, since Nonis was let go (even before that), management and coaches identified the future core players. Nazzy, Linden, Bert, Mo, Ohlie, and Klatt passed on their strengths as team leaders to the current roster. They mentored this team, especially Linden.

Take the time to view this. At 1:04...you get a glimpse of how respected Hank is from the one you miss most.

Hank is one of the Canucks all time great captains. He learned from the best. And he has a great group behind him who share the role of leaders.

The game has evolved. Other teams watch for our stretch passes. We need to play a more conservative game now to be successful. We keep other teams to the outside and let our goalie see most of the shots. We are far better than most of our fans and media-clowns think. Our PP is the most obvious weakness. More urgency, quicker plays will help with that.

I completely agree.

There are huge gaping holes on this team right now, and I don't think they will fix themselves by the time play-offs start.

Schneider has played unreal for the last while, but what is said for the rest of our team? Every game I question this team's work ethic, motivation and confidence.. We can't expect Schneids to be there for every sloppy mistake (and each game is packed with them), when they will be more than likely capitalized on in the play-offs.

I'll admit though, injuries has diminished the performance of this team, but the Canuck have lost their drive and confidence since 2011. I remember when we came into games so determined and sure that we were going to win because we had our team firing on every cylinder. Since 2011, that's severely plummeted, and there aren't many games at all I can point out where I can outwardly say the Canucks completely overwhelmed their opponent and were completely deserving of the win.

Forgive me for being pessimistic, it's hard not to following this team. I really hope they prove me wrong, I really do. But there are much stronger teams coming out of the West, and I don't see the Canucks going far.

"We are currently, and (probably) will be the NW Division Champs for a 5th straight season. "

While that is a good thing, the counter argument is that the division was very weak for most, if not all, of those years.

Archived