Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Alleged terror plot thwarted by arrests in Ontario, Quebec (CBC)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Threat was not imminent to the public. -RCMP

Edited by Super19, 22 April 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Posted Image

#32 zoner.

zoner.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

They have also become more paranoid now. I mean kicking a couple of Saudi people off the plane just because of suspicions that they might be terrorists right after the Boston bombing. It is hilarious to now find that the suspect was in fact white and not middle eastern.

There's a culture of fear created by the media down there. The Tsarnaev kid is going to be on the news all day every day for the next six months. There right-wing extremists are already taking to conspiracy theories and doing all kinds of fear mongering. This is the first and likely only time we'll hear about this plot, these two aren't going to become infamous because of it.
Posted Image

#33 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Suspects received support from al-Qaeda elements in Iran. - CBC
Posted Image

#34 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,738 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

So are we gonna invade Iran now or what?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#35 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

So does that mean, US will attack Pakistan??

Posted Image

#36 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hmmm. Awfully good timing by the Conservatives to try and ram through an unneeded terrorist bill the same day as the RCMP stops an alleged terrorist plot. Just sayin.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#37 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,738 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

So the train was from Toronto to New York. So it's possible the attack was meant to be done in the United Sates.

Posted Image

#38 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

They have also become more paranoid now. I mean kicking a couple of Saudi people off the plane just because of suspicions that they might be terrorists right after the Boston bombing. It is hilarious to now find that the suspect was in fact white and not middle eastern.

that happened the day after, and it was stupid, but it's understandable some of the passengers (many of whom were marathoners from the day before, and not bostonians) were on edge.

boston has also had a ton of bomb scares recently, that have just ended up being nothing. it's understandable people are on edge, and you would be too. I grew up in Paris in the 90s when we were having bomb attacks, and there was a ton of paranoia around. the exact same thing would happen in vancouver.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#39 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Not to get too far into this, but I was kind of shaking my head when watching coverage from Boston after "white hat" had been captured. All of those people waving flags and chanting USA! USA!

What the hell do you have to be proud of? There's a reason these attacks tend to happen on US soil...

Just happened to come across this. rotfl. So true.
Posted Image

#40 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

If your BS meter didn't just spike to 10 after reading that, it needs calibration.

#41 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Wth is wrong with these terrorists? Who wants to attack the peace keeping country? We've done nothing to piss anyone off

They're pissed (them not me) at the Afghanistan mission. That was a combat mission and not peace keeping. That and the never ending blanket support of Israel.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 22 April 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#42 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Definitely. When you've been bombing their people for decades..

It's kinda like a bully picking on a nerd or whomever at school. Soon enough he'll get pissed off and bite back.

America also bombed the Germans and the Japanese but they don't have any problems with them anymore do they? Pre-9/11 America wasn't that aggressive, but after such an unprecedented terrorist attack what do you expect? If Vancouver was bombed killing around 3000 civilians I bet most here would be calling for action too. Those actions can lead to mistakes, but action must be taken yes?

The fact here is that Islam is at war with the west and has been for a long time, as they are living the crusades not us. There is a big difference between 'the west' and 'Islam'. Simply put you won't face an Islamic trial or be held prisoner very long. Smile for the camera while you're slowly decapitated without mercy for everyones viewing pleasure. Instead of targeted bombings trying to avoid civilians, you have random bombings which purposefully target civilians. And everyone is up in arms about our ally and neighbour who could just as easily carpet bomb a city into rubble? Imagine giving radical Islam the power of the states, I'm sure the world would be so much better under the black banner of Al Qaeda perhaps?

Just don't mention 'Islam' and 'bombings' either or be labeled 'islamaphobe', even though Islamic violence is more common than grass growing in the park. But feel free to bash America all day long and lump Americans all together right? The US tries to bomb some potential target and hits civilians then we hear about it for years. Meanwhile some Islamic scumbag blows themselves up or detonates a car in a crowded market, but somehow that's Americas fault too.

To me the states is not perfect and has made mistakes which I'm not happy about - namely Iraq. But compared to what's out there it's easy for me to choose sides. Specially since when it comes to true terrorism around the world I can blindly guess 'Islam' and be right 90% of the time.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#43 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

America also bombed the Germans and the Japanese but they don't have any problems with them anymore do they? Pre-9/11 America wasn't that aggressive,

Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, funding terrorists or as they're called when you like what they're doing "rebels" in Nicaragua, Iraq etc.

If you're going to dole out Koolaid. Keep it to the kind in my Avatar.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 22 April 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#44 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, funding terrorists or as they're called when you like what they're doing "rebels" in Nicaragua, Iraq etc.

Yeah true I guess they were still fairly aggro pre 9/11 but my point is that America is still far far better than the Global Islamic jihad movements out there right now.

I mean seriously here is a story about another 'probable' Islamic attack against us(either Canada or US either way we're allies) and still people find it in them to rag on 'merica. Yet here we are having just avoided another possible tragedy at the hands of WHO? Not 'merica that's for sure. but an attack against us 'western people' and values is somehow 'deservedly' according to some twisted individuals. Due to a policy that the intended victims have little or nothing to do with at all.

Edited by Special Ed, 22 April 2013 - 02:30 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#45 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

FYI, Korea was a UN-sanctioned mission and it was North Korea invading South Korea first.

#46 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

It is only an "alleged plot" and "alleged terrorists". Nothing is proven in court.

How do we know if if all the evidence is not planted by the RCMP, CSIS, with coordination with the CIA/FBI? That is what Alex Jones say all the time.

#47 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

So i take it our standing in the international community has taken bit of a hit in the Harper years?  Or are terrorist plots happening regardless?

Since when Does AQ qualify for the international community?

#48 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Since when Does AQ qualify for the international community?

This.

So i take it our standing in the international community has taken bit of a hit in the Harper years? Or are terrorist plots happening regardless?

And no.

Terrorism in Canada pre-dates Harper:

http://en.wikipedia....orism_in_Canada

People attack Canada, because it's easier than attacking the USA.

#49 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

And no.

Funny you linked to that source when it mentions Islamic terrorist efforts against Canada started in 2006, the year Harper came into power. 'Attempted' efforts, that is.

Environmental terrorism has also occurred in the Harper era. Not before.
Posted Image

#50 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Too many immigrants in this country. Not enough background checking

Posted Image

#51 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,738 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

So far that's proven to not be true.

2 major attacks in the US in the last 15 years. Every plot that has been planned in Canada has been foiled.

Posted Image

#52 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

This.

And no.

Canada is being targeted because we stand with America on everything. To the rest of the world Canada is just another American state.

Posted Image

#53 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Could still possibly be an American target. Via rail has service to places like New York, according to BC1 News.

That would explain why American officials are involved.

#54 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Funny you linked to that source when it mentions Islamic terrorist efforts against Canada started in 2006, the year Harper came into power. 'Attempted' efforts, that is.

Environmental terrorism has also occurred in the Harper era. Not before.

Except that terrorist plot came into being in 2004. They weren't arrested until 2006.

As for environmental terrorism, that link is not complete. People have been bombing gas pipelines for decades:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Wiebo_Ludwig

#55 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

FYI, Korea was a UN-sanctioned mission and it was North Korea invading South Korea first.

Thanks for the history lesson Chief. However, the argument was whether the US was "aggressive" not whether the mission was sanctioned by the UN.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 22 April 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#56 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Canada is being targeted because we stand with America on everything. To the rest of the world Canada is just another American state.

You mean Canada that refused to go to war in Iraq. It was also the Liberal government that sent us into Afghanistan. The Harper government withdrew us.

For the record, I don't vote Conservative, I just cannot stand it when people don't have their facts straight.

#57 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

theglobeandmail.com
April 22, 2013

The Harper government is using the Boston Marathon bombing to expedite the passage of a relatively slow-moving bill that would restrict civil liberties in the name of fighting terrorism.

Some of the measures in S-7, the Combating Terrorism Act, have previously been law but expired because they were so-called sun-set provisions introduced in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.

The Conservative have cleared time in their legislative agenda Monday and Tuesday to conduct third-reading debate on S-7, legislation that would authorize police to pre-emptively detain Canadians and hold them for up to three days without charging them.

The NDP is the only party to oppose this act which infringes on the rights of canadians

#58 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Except that terrorist plot came into being in 2004. They weren't arrested until 2006.

As for environmental terrorism, that link is not complete. People have been bombing gas pipelines for decades:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Wiebo_Ludwig

There was the Squamish Five (aka Direct Action) who operated during the 1980's. The five were Ann Hansen, Brent Taylor, Juliet Caroline Belmas, Doug Stewart and Gerry Hannah and they were more anarchists than motivated by any real political or religious ideology.

They started out vandalizing the headquarters of Amax, a mining company and then graduated to bombings - the Dunsmuir BC Hydro substation on Vancouver Island, the Litton Industries bombing in Toronto in October 1982 which injured 10 people and the Red Hot Video stores firebombings (under the name of the "Wimmin's Fire Brigade").

They were taken down on January 20, 1983, all five were captured on the road to their training area by a joint RCMP - VPD tactical unit disguised as a road crew. A friend of mine from my secondary school days was involved in the arrest and she was a former Olympic athlete disguised as flag person. She dragged one of the suspects out of the pick- through a window by the scruff of his neck. :lol:

On conviction of the five accused sentences ranged from six years to life for Anne Hansen.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#59 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

We need to stop following America in their future wars. They're always at war with someone or another. Canada shouldn't be seen as an extension of them, so that we don't end up being a target because of blowback from things they've done.
Posted Image

#60 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the history lesson Chief. However, the argument was whether the US was "aggressive" not whether the mission was sanctioned by the UN.

And by 'aggressive' I meant a war that the US started. Not where one was attacked by someone else and the US went in to help.

Edited by Special Ed, 22 April 2013 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.