The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alleged terror plot thwarted by arrests in Ontario, Quebec (CBC)

nuckin_futz

Canada did go to the first Iraq war and were ready to go to the 2nd if the UN sanctioned it. There were still some clandestine support in Iraq outside of peace keeping / rebuilding missions.

Most of these problems like Saddam and OBL were created by America by using these people as puppets when it served their purpose. They're always going to be fighting with someone and we should just have commerce with them and not get involved in their international entanglements.

Chretien's decision to steer clear of Iraq was made easier by the Tarnak Farm Incident of 2002 in Afghanistan.

In the Tarnak farm Incident of 18 April 2002, four Canadian soldiers were killed and eight others injured when U.S. Air National Guard Major Harry Schmidt, dropped a laser-guided 500 lb (230 kg) bomb from his F-16 jet fighter on the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry regiment which was conducting a night firing exercise near Kandahar. Schmidt was charged with negligent manslaughter, aggravated assault, and dereliction of duty. He was found guilty of the latter charge. During testimony Schmidt blamed the incident on his use of "go pills" (authorized mild stimulants), combined with the 'fog of war'. The Canadian dead received US medals for "bravery", but no apology.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/friendlyfire/verdict.html

Anyone else think this foiled plot is a coincidence?

Hard to argue with an anti terrorism bill after we were just the target of an attack. It will make it easy to pass Haper's Nazi bill now.

Detaining someone for 3 days without charging them? What country do we live in? This isn't the Canada I know.

And in the US, they're pushing for immigration reform after the attack. AKA keep the foreigners out.

I always say look at the bills that are passed after events like this to see what's up.

America also bombed the Germans and the Japanese but they don't have any problems with them anymore do they? Pre-9/11 America wasn't that aggressive, but after such an unprecedented terrorist attack what do you expect? If Vancouver was bombed killing around 3000 civilians I bet most here would be calling for action too. Those actions can lead to mistakes, but action must be taken yes?

The fact here is that Islam is at war with the west and has been for a long time, as they are living the crusades not us. There is a big difference between 'the west' and 'Islam'. Simply put you won't face an Islamic trial or be held prisoner very long. Smile for the camera while you're slowly decapitated without mercy for everyones viewing pleasure. Instead of targeted bombings trying to avoid civilians, you have random bombings which purposefully target civilians. And everyone is up in arms about our ally and neighbour who could just as easily carpet bomb a city into rubble? Imagine giving radical Islam the power of the states, I'm sure the world would be so much better under the black banner of Al Qaeda perhaps?

Just don't mention 'Islam' and 'bombings' either or be labeled 'islamaphobe', even though Islamic violence is more common than grass growing in the park. But feel free to bash America all day long and lump Americans all together right? The US tries to bomb some potential target and hits civilians then we hear about it for years. Meanwhile some Islamic scumbag blows themselves up or detonates a car in a crowded market, but somehow that's Americas fault too.

To me the states is not perfect and has made mistakes which I'm not happy about - namely Iraq. But compared to what's out there it's easy for me to choose sides. Specially since when it comes to true terrorism around the world I can blindly guess 'Islam' and be right 90% of the time.

Chretien's decision to steer clear of Iraq was made easier by the Tarnak Farm Incident of 2002 in Afghanistan.

In the Tarnak farm Incident of 18 April 2002, four Canadian soldiers were killed and eight others injured when U.S. Air National Guard Major Harry Schmidt, dropped a laser-guided 500 lb (230 kg) bomb from his F-16 jet fighter on the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry regiment which was conducting a night firing exercise near Kandahar. Schmidt was charged with negligent manslaughter, aggravated assault, and dereliction of duty. He was found guilty of the latter charge. During testimony Schmidt blamed the incident on his use of "go pills" (authorized mild stimulants), combined with the 'fog of war'. The Canadian dead received US medals for "bravery", but no apology.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...re/verdict.html

Why are you guys talking about the U.S. when this is suppose to be about Canada thwarting a terriorist attack?

Maybe if Canada attacked the USA AQ would leave us alone. I'm scared of AQ.. We should Attack America instead AQ just misunderstood and very nice people.

Anyone else think this foiled plot is a coincidence?

Hard to argue with an anti terrorism bill after we were just the target of an attack. It will make it easy to pass Haper's Nazi bill now.

Detaining someone for 3 days without charging them? What country do we live in? This isn't the Canada I know.

And in the US, they're pushing for immigration reform after the attack. AKA keep the foreigners out.

I always say look at the bills that are passed after events like this to see what's up.

Why are you guys talking about the U.S. when this is suppose to be about Canada thwarting a terriorist attack?

So Canada should attack its greatest ally in history because of one terrorist scare? I don't see the logic in that... and besides if that ever did happen do you actually think Canada would win against the world's superpower?

I've realized that lol. I usually laugh at it but what Dittohead said was pretty asinine, he might have been saying it sarcastically but I don't know.

What I haven't fully understood yet is why you guys like to bash so much. I know every country does but the U.S. and Canada have had the best relationship between two countries in history. Most of you guys point out the War of 1812 but that was before Canada was even colonized.

I chose to follow a canadian NHL team because I knew that the fan base would be better and more passionate compared to an American one. I was right but I must admit I wasn't prepared for all the U.S. bashing lol. Oh well, I'm still a Canucks fan regardless.

Archived