The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duncan Keith's post-game comments towards Karen Thomson of Team 1040

stonecoldstevebernier

Never been a fan of Keith (esp. after the hit on Daniel), but this just makes him look like a jerk on and off the ice. Take a listen...

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Duncan-Keith-rips-Karen-Thomson.mp3

One comment on Twitter that really stands out to me as summing it up pretty well:

Blake Price@blakeprice1040 28m

There's no way Duncan Keith says what he said to a male reporter.. He'd never assume a male reporter doesn't play hockey..

This kind of stuff happens a little too often in sports. True, there aren't any female players or referees in the NHL, but gender shouldn't have any relevance to one's respectability as a reporter.

Keith: "First female referee. Can't play probably, either, right? But you're thinking the game like you know it? Kay, see ya."

Time and time proves to be a bigger scumbag than initially thought. I am in awe for his choice of words towards the female reporter.. Being a female reporter should garner as much respect as a male reporter. I think most NHL athletes would think that way but Keith is an unfathomable d*ck. Wow, I really hate him now.

Remember to always keep your socially acceptable filter on, Duncan.

I disagree with this, I'd wager most reporters can't skate for crap. I think he gives the exact same statement, minus the 'first female ref' comment. I really don't believe it was an intentionally sexist comment, just him being frustrated and disrespectful at somebody who he doesn't think understands the game. Rude, but I doubt he was being sexist. He'll get burned at the stake for this regardless, especially by Canucks fans.

Yes there's the gender argument there, but the more interesting piece of Chicago Blackhawks mentality Duncan Keith shows is something a lot of us have suspected of the Blackhawks for a long time, if the referee doesn't call a penalty, it wasn't a penalty.

He clearly says "you would be the world's first female referee". I don't think he would bring the fact that she's a female into it unless he was trying to discredit her as a sports reporter.

Clearly sexist, and clearly a douche thing to say. How does he know she doesn't play hockey? Maybe she was a referee for women's hockey at some point in her life. They do have women's hockey there Keith.

Archived