The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duncan Keith's post-game comments towards Karen Thomson of Team 1040

stonecoldstevebernier

Dont think it was sexist, he was frustrated and was asked a dumb question by a reporter. I think he blew it with how he said it, but the sexist intent was not their. I hate the Blackhawks, I hate Keith as a Blackhawk, I hope they lose to Columbus in the first round. BUT Duncan Keith is still a beauty player that i would want on my team in a minute. Im sure all the people calling for his head and saying hes a douche bag will change their toon next year when he is helping win us a gold medal.

Not saying he wasn't being a dick bag, but i would be too if i had to answer the stupidest questions ever night after night.

Oh no, I disagree with the majority, that does not usually happen but here it is. Karen Thompson asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer. Keith used the ammo he had to try and make her feel dumb about asking pretty much the dumbest thing she could have asked Keith. "Duurp, do you think you should have gotten a penalty"? What is that??? Now don't get me wrong, Keith's answer was total garbage and it shows his poor character, but it wasn't sexist, it was an insult. If Keith was more intelligent or a real man he would found a more sophisticated burn, but hey, it's Duncan Keith, pretty much what I expect form him.

Karen, learn from this one...

I have no problem with a player giving a snappy come back when set up with a no win question after a loss. What I do have issue is Keith using her gender in part of that come back. It is irrelevent if the reporter is male - female - straight - gay - orange - white etc. By including reference to her gener it makes it an embarrassment to the NHL and as such I am sure Mr Keith will be getting a phone call if he has not already - to assist him in making a financial contribution to a worthy female hockey cause.

The issue is not his comeback to a loaded question - its making reference to the gender of the reporter that is.....

Wow, just wow.

Where did he say ANYTHING ABOUT HER BEING A WOMEN AND HENCEFORTH SHOULDN'T BE IN A POSITION TO ASK A QUESTION?

He DIDN'T.

This isn't an example of a man attacking a woman. It was an NHL player snapping at a media person asking a quesiton. He could have easily said the same thing to Tony Gallagher who would never be confused with being an athlete. That is where he was coming from. Frustrated after a loss, and not wanting to answer a marginally stupid question.

You know like when Tortarella told a reporter that he looked like he must have gotten beat up and his milk money stolen in grade school.

To go all 70's bra burning over THIS, is just....misplaced energy.

Wow, just wow.

Where did he say ANYTHING ABOUT HER BEING A WOMEN AND HENCEFORTH SHOULDN'T BE IN A POSITION TO ASK A QUESTION?

He DIDN'T.

This isn't an example of a man attacking a woman. It was an NHL player snapping at a media person asking a quesiton. He could have easily said the same thing to Tony Gallagher who would never be confused with being an athlete. That is where he was coming from. Frustrated after a loss, and not wanting to answer a marginally stupid question.

You know like when Tortarella told a reporter that he looked like he must have gotten beat up and his milk money stolen in grade school.

Chicago has a lot of disrespectful players, matter fact so does Boston.. I guess you have to be a douche bag to be a champion these days. I miss the good old days when Detroit and Pittsburgh were champs, not teams like Boston, Chicago and LA. Hopefully we can change that this season, Keith has a big head on his shoulders and needs to be put in his place. I wonder if he's married (and if so) how his wife feels about those derogatory and quite obviously sexist comments? Some players have the grace of a pig, we see you for what you are Keith; a little sucker punching- sorry elbowing, whiny wimpy little dirt bag.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I know Karen. She doesn't give a crap, she's dealt with this type of thing ever since she decided she wanted to be in sports journalism. Doesn't make it right what Keith did, but she's handled worse comments than that.

I think he's feeling guilty... and not guilty in the sense that he feels bad but in the sense that he knows what he did was completely stupid out there. Swinging his stick around like an idiot cuz he's got some vendetta against the horrible Sedins. When you can't answer a question more properly than that it means you know you've f'd up. Just my theory.

Unless, of course, you're a woman who has had to battle through some of this s-----tuff over the years. Words can be powerful in keeping people "in their place" via humiliation and bullying. This is a form of that, pulling a card of "you're just a dumb woman". It's meant to belittle. Men should have grown out of the "you're just a dumb girl" by grade school so don't give it a pass. Post game things like this are NOT said all the time...I challenge you to bring me one example.

Anyone thinking it's acceptable to pull the "you're just a woman/what do you know" crap needs to jump into this century. Or have your Mama slap some sense into you.

Just to clarify:

sex·ism (sebreve.gifkprime.gifsibreve.gifzlprime.gifschwa.gifm)

n.

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

It's exactly what his comment insinuated. If done with a chuckle, maybe it could sneak through. But it was with a condescending tone and obviously meant to put her in her place. Low blow but, again, who's surprised when considering the source. Seems Dirty Dunc has little regard for others but what goes around comes around.

So, maybe she missed it too and that's why she was asking about it. If so, she's hardly alone. Apparently Keith himself didn't know a delayed penalty had been called because his response to being asked whether or not it was a penalty was, “Oh no, I don’t think there was. I think he scored a nice goal. The ref was right there. That’s what the ref saw. We should get you as ref, maybe, hey?”

I understand people wanting to argue that it's unfair to declare him sexist as a person based on this single example because there's definitely some validity to that, but it does not change the fact that his comments in this particular case were sexist.

Wow, just wow.

He DIDN'T.

I heard it again and yeah his comments were pretty much "you are a woman, and you don't know the game". His initial comments seemed just like any other than out of no where he says "maybe you should ref." So almost as if he thought about it and like made his purpose to get at her.

I don't know he realizes how many woman sports reporters there are in the world now a days. And they obviously have to and know their sports to do what they do. These reporters know way more about sports than I do and probably a lot of men lol

Archived