The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duncan Keith's post-game comments towards Karen Thomson of Team 1040

stonecoldstevebernier

In this case I actually don't blame Keith too much. It was a stupid question regardless of the gender asking the question. Even if the ref was going to call a penalty, Sedin scored, which nullifies the penalty. Was it a penalty? Does it really matter if it was? He was upset at getting their E$$e$ handed to them and she got the reaction she wanted too. Her name is in papers across the country now. I do not think it was meant as a sexist comment to all women, but rather he was upset and lashed out at her with the easiest remark available.

I am not saying he handled it professionally, but he is a hockey player that is used to trash talking and not politically correct debate. Big deal about nothing. A reporter's dream.

In this case I actually don't blame Keith too much. It was a stupid question regardless of the gender asking the question. Even if the ref was going to call a penalty, Sedin scored, which nullifies the penalty. Was it a penalty? Does it really matter if it was? He was upset at getting their E$$e$ handed to them and she got the reaction she wanted too. Her name is in papers across the country now. I do not think it was meant as a sexist comment to all women, but rather he was upset and lashed out at her with the easiest remark available.

I am not saying he handled it professionally, but he is a hockey player that is used to trash talking and not politically correct debate. Big deal about nothing. A reporter's dream.

This is much more of an understandable issue if you listen to the quote rather than reading it. On paper it looks like an offhand statement but when you listen to it his voice is pure contempt. He is trying to be as insulting as possible in as many ways as possible. The fact that she was female and doesn't play hockey were the only attacks he could think of at the time.

Woman sports reporters can't have it both ways. If they want to be treated as equals then they should be treated just as badly by athletes as their male counterparts. All the guys on the TEAM coming to Karen's rescue like some knight in shining armor are actually not treating her as an equal. They are treating her as either some damsel in distress who needs a man to defend her or treating as some child who can't stick up for herself.

Donny Taylor said it the best this afternoon when he said Karen's a big girl who can take care of herself. This will probably be good for her career. Don Taylor's words, not mine.

Didn't bother reading through 11 pages of comments, but if you listen, right after she says "ya maybe" she adds "but I can't skate" which I believe is why Keith responds the way he does. I totally get his sentiment, even if it isn't an appropriate thing to say during an interview.

I think you are partly correct but you are jumping to conclusions and putting words in his mouth. Fact is there has never been a female ref. Fact is this reporter doesn't have much depth of knowledge about the game (see question). Keith asks her if she can skate or has played, he did not assume that because she is female. She says she has not played and cannot skate. Keith says "oh, well you want to be the first female ref and you dont even play the game". Facts are facts, there has never been a female ref in the NHL and based on Kristen's comment, he lashed out at her (not all women).

Keith is an obvious douche and i'm tired of hearing about him. But i did enjoy him making a fool of himself here, especially since the ref had his arm up after the slash so the reporter was right and it was a penalty. Just got called off because Danny scored immediately after.

While I agree that this is being blown way out of proportion, the comment was definitely sexist. The fact that he is the one that brings up the reporter's gender and the tone in which he is talking to her one can almost see the thought bubble above Duncan's head reading "I wish this stupid b***h would just go away"

I'd be a little frustrated at the question as well.  She should have known better than to ask something like that.  I'm no keith fan but I don't blame him on that one.Case and point...Kevin Lowes response to the reporter who asked him how he felt about inheriting a "mess"

as others have said bad question (if it could even be called that) bad response. Remember sports reporter and hockey player not 60 minutes.

Keith seems like a decent bloke, the only issue is that what he said could be construed as sexist. It makes the news because it is a gaffe.

Archived